Christian Weddings

Movie ratings. Vent

We have movies to watch weekly for my diversity in the curriculum class.  Up until now they've been about race or political diversity.  This week is sexuality/gender.  The movie we're watching (Victor/Victoria) is rated PG, but it's risque enough that it's making me uncomfortable. 

The main character is a performer (singer/dancer), which is fine, but there was a scene with another lady performing, but between the costumes and suggestive dancing, it is way too much for me.  I was not expecting this from a PG movie.  I'll watch R rated movies, but at least I know then to expect some sex and/or violence (ie The Godfather, Cold Mountain).  I was not mentally prepared for this. :(
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Movie ratings. Vent

• If I remember correctly, I think Victor/Victoria is an older movie (at least 20 years old if I am not mistaken). I think the ratings system was extremely different back then than it is now. Take Grease, for example; there are parts of Grease (which is rated PG) that are downright vulgar. I think it just depends on what the movie is and when it was made. There is also no consistency among guidelines for movies, TV, music or otherwise.
  • I know it doesn't solve your immediate problem, but for the future it may help to invest in ClearPlay. DH's parents have it, and has filters to skip over parts that are too sexy or violent or whatever. Be warned though, that if you have closed captioning, any swear words are still visible, even though they're muted out in audio.
    More info - http://www.clearplay.com

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_movie-ratings-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:65a3a53f-2a95-400e-a27c-67e0af40a818Post:8b9e0f8c-1896-426c-8778-6b586e250179">Re: Movie ratings. Vent</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I remember correctly, I think Victor/Victoria is an older movie (at least 20 years old if I am not mistaken). I think the ratings system was extremely different back then than it is now. Take Grease, for example; there are parts of Grease (which is rated PG) that are downright vulgar. I think it just depends on what the movie is and when it was made. There is also no consistency among guidelines for movies, TV, music or otherwise.
    Posted by agape1cor813[/QUOTE]

It's actually 30 years old!  It was made in 1982, a decade of movies I try to avoid for the most part.  It hadn't occurred to me that the ratings system was different.  I'd always watched Grease on TV (so, edited version, though the "Greased Lightning" scene that was kept is certainly vulgar).  It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I actually saw the whole thing, but I can't say that I feel like I'd missed out all those years.

There were parts of West Side Story that were fast-forwarded through for many years when I was growing up.  I watched a lot of musicals....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think that movies are getting out of hand (along with TV shows and music too). I won't even watch R-rated movies anymore. So I understand your concern. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards