Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Long Engagement/ Quick Engagement Party

Hi Everyone

I am VERY new to this site. (I swore to myself that I wouldn't come on here until I was actually engaged) I got engaged May 21st while scuba diving in cozumel (yes he brought the box and ring down with him). We plan on having a two-three year engagement and I'm not quite sure what to do or if I should be doing anything at this point? I would love all the advise I could get. Our parents are planning a pretty big engagement party on July 28th and I find myself saying when questions are being asked " I don't know the etiquette of all of this." I'm an only child and the first of my friends to be engaged. Again any and all advise would be WONDERFUL! 

Re: Long Engagement/ Quick Engagement Party

• Options
    Congrats on your engagement!! How exciting and romantic! Engagement parties are usually within a few months of being engaged so July is fine.  Save the dates tend to go out after that, in your case I would send them out at the 1 to 1 1/2 year mark and make sure to tell everyone at your engagment party that you plan to have a long engagement and give an estimated time you will get married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations!
    My fiance and I have a 2.5 year engagement. There's nothing you really need to do right now but bask in the joy of being engaged :)
    First things to do though are set a budget and guest list, maybe think of general things you want and maybe colors.
  • Options
    Congrats!  

We got engaged in December and were planning on having a 2 year engagement.  Well that changed and now we're getting married next May but the engagement party is still this July.  Just enjoy being engaged for right now and try to determine a budget and preliminary guest list.  

Also save the dates at 18 months from the wedding seems excessive to me.  Ours are going to go out 8 months in advance and that's only because our wedding is during Memorial Day Weekend.    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    Congrats!
    I agree with Lucy.

Everyone that is invited to the E-party MUST be invited to the wedding.
    Sending STD's 18 months out is stupid. Everything changes and will change. Your date will change, the venue will change, your friends and tastes will change.
    Don't send STD's until you are at least 8 months away from your wedding date, if you are sending them.

I would ask your parents to hold on the e-party until you have a venue and wedding date. Typically by then you want to have some sort of registry and this is way too early for that if you aren't getting married for 2-3 years.
    Just put the brakes on and enjoy being engaged for a while.
    Start researching venues and decor but don't make any final decisions until you are closer, like 12-14 months out.
    Then, when you find your dress and venue you are less likely to fall out of love.

JMHO.
    Good luck!

First Look
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Congrats!!

The E-party usually occurs within a few months after getting engaged. If you feel the date your parents picked is too soon, you should voice you concerns with them.

I'm also having a long engagement and have an E-party coming up in August. I am looking at venues now and will hopefully be putting down a deposit before my E-party. Most venues don't have people booking 3 years in advance so you stand a better chance of getting whatever date you prefer. Plus the added bonus is you lock in prices for this year.

Good luck with everythingSmile
  • Options
    Congrats!

We have a 26 month engagement. We did book our venue shortly after getting engaged as places were already starting to book up in Oct 2013.

I don't necessarily agree with peachy on the 12-14 months out because depending on the time of year and your exact location venues could book before that. In Aug 2011 only one weekend was open in Oct 2013 at our venue, luckily it was the weekend we wanted. If we would have waiting to book it between now and this Aug, the date would probably be gone already.

Id say talk to your FI and both of your parents and try to get a few dates in mind and if you are two years out, start looking in a few months, if you're three years out, then hold off for a year.

• Options
    Congrats! I dont really know what to advise other than for the STD it really does change depending on the family you will be inviting. I see most people say don't send the STD 1 to 1 1/2 yrs away. But kind of like I said everyone is different. For me all of my family is asking me to send it out that far in advance so they can plan on it. I have a lot of family who will be traveling so for them they want to have the STD ASAP
  • Options
    I would also hold off on making any decisions regarding theme/colors, etc.
    I'm only having a 7 month engagement, and I already have been seriously rethinking my entire color scheme.
    I'm not losing any sleep over it, because it is truly not that important to me. It just goes to show tastes change a LOT.
    Also with that said, if you choose to have a wedding party, do NOT ask them until about 9 months out. They don't need to be chosen any sooner, and if you go lurk on the Wedding Party board you will see tons of girls who need advice with a BM that they asked years ago and now regret it.

But most of all CONGRATS! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards