Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Meeting the Photographer

I have no idea what I need to be asking what to watch out for. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I need to ask? What are red flags? What do I need to know when walking into this?

Re: Meeting the Photographer

• fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would ask to see an entire wedding from beginning to end so that you will see how they will capture the day.  I would ask to see a wedding at your venue if they have one, or if not, one with similar lighting/set up to yours (i.e., outdoors, daytime, candlelight, church, etc.).  If you will be using a second shooter, ask to see their work as well.  It's also important that you like their personality and are comfortable with them, as you will spend alot of time with them.  Does their style match yours--are they contemporary/photojournalistic or more traditional, etc.?

Other than that, the basic things such as:  cost/deposit/payment, equipment they will use, what is included in the package (like a DVD of all your high-resolution images with the printing rights), what kind of emergency/backup plan will they have in place, how long will it take to get the photos, how many images do they typically include, etc.   

A good photographer will do most of the talking--you shouldn't have to ask many questions.  Some red flags:  lots of black and white or photoshopping, poor color/album quality, not bringing samples of their work other than the website, little wedding experience/references.

I also suggest looking up their reviews (like on Wedding Wire) and if your local board is active, checking there also.
  • edited December 2011
    Red flags would be someone with lower than average prices, a shallow portfolio, no insurance, no backup equipment, ask them why they got in to weddings- look for passion in their answer, ask them how many weddings they have shot as the primary shooter, ask them what kind if camera they use- if it's a canon rebel move on, ask them if they have any formal training or education, ask them who some of their favourite wedding photographers are- they should know their industry. About all I can think of right now. All others have been covered in the post above! It's what my clients ask me:)
  • edited December 2011
    Great advise from Stephanie!
    This is my line of work, so to add to what Stephanie said, also...

Take a good look at the images presented to you.
    Are they grainy?
    Did the photographer miss the focus in most of the shots (i.e. the face slightly out of focus but your arm is cristal clear, in together shots of the bride & groom, the groom's ear is crystal clear and the couple faces aren't... these are examples of missed focus, not an on purpose shallow depth of field shot).
    Can you see any detail in the wedding dresses or are most of them blown out?
    Are the images in ceremonies & receptions too orange and people look a little blurry?

These are all some examples of people who are shooting that doesn't understand how a camera works, or understands what is needed to get the shot right in certain lighting conditions. It's so much more than simply point & shoot. God bless them for sharing their passion with people, but your wedding isn't where you want to be disappointed with the final result!!

Ask what their fastest lens is... if they don't know, that's a red flag.
    Ask if they have backup for everything they'll be bringing. (and what their back up is) They should have a back up DSLR, back up flash, back up lenses plenty batteries (for the cameras AND flashes) and lots of memory! 

Ask to read over their contract and be sure you're confortable with it. (if you choose to add this photographer in the list of final photographers to choose from.)

Good luck and enjoy your meeting! I hope you found 'the one'! (photographer that is)! ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards