Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

I need help!!

Hi Ladies!! I am from Florida, however, over the past year my parents have moved back to New England after many years of living in Florida (one on the Cape and one in Conn). My fiance and I have somewhat decided that it would be better to have the wedding on the Cape since all of my family is in New England and most of his is too! We don't have a very big budget (Maybe $8,000), but I want a great wedding. I would LOVE to do a weekend wedding (in Sept or Nov of 2011) and rent out something that has a bunch of rooms (expecting about 120-150?). I was wondering if anyone had suggestions. I also was wondering what you would do for picking people up from the airport. If I have a lot of people coming, and going back and forth from the airport would not be convenient. Should i Rent the whole place, or have them pay for their own rooms? I am up for anything. I just want something with a view. Please Help!!!

Re: I need help!!

• Options
    edited December 2011

To be honest I think you might have a tough time with that budget on the Cape, but it really depends on what kind of wedding weekend you want. Could you describe a little more what you mean? Just in general, I have heard a lot that if you stay on the other side of the bridge, in the Plymouth area for example, you might find much better deals than on Cape. That is a great time of year in New England.

I would not want to get involved in picking people up from an airport. There are buses that run from Boston to various points on the Cape, which is what I will recommend to anyone who asks.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you look outside the box a bit, you may be able to work with that budget (as long as you're not looking to pay for everyone's rooms).  Look into unconventional hotels and restaurants for reception areas that don't typically advertise themselves as wedding venues, and you'll be more likely to avoid many of the silly extra fees (cake cutting, etc). 

If you are looking for just off-season like September, you could look into the Surf & Sand Motel - it's a small oceanfront hotel with 33 or 34 rooms (but with at least 4 other hotels within walking distance), and they own a restaurant about a mile away.  They're a little difficult to get in touch with during the off season because they are closed from November - April, but it is an absolutely beautiful spot.

HTH, let me know if you want more information (I'm having my wedding there this June).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, it will be really tough to plan a wedding anywhere on 8K for 120-150 people. That won't even feed your guests in most places (let alone allow you to have a photographer, invitations, dress, etc). Even if you find a really beautiful, cheap place, factor in catering, tent/table rentals, tax, etc. when you budget. Sorry to be such a Debby Downer, but I'm trying to help you be realistic -  we had to cut our wedding size to less than 100 because of financial constraints, and our budget  is about twice yours. 

That said, you are starting so early that you should have time to explore all options. One of the cheaper, but nice places I checked out was Arturo's at Kingsway - the catering is reasonable and on-site, and you can have your ceremony on the golf course. The owner is really reasonable and may be willing to work with your budgetary constraints. 

sorry to be so negative, but i had serious sticker shock when i started adding up all expenses and am trying to prepare you a bit.

HTH
  • Options
    raeadraead member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look into the Beach Breeze inn in Falmouth.  Its an old re done motel right across from the beach ..Owned by a pair of guys that take great pride and are just wonderful hosts.  Great place to house your wedding party and friends.

Then check out the Falmouth Yacht club..They have private beach you can have the ceremony and the club is casual but they do things right as well.

As far as accomidations for the rest of the guests there are inns in Falmouth heights within walking distance of the yacht club and they could probably tell you names of those. 

I haven't seen the pricing yet but see what they say.   I have heard the Yacht Club is a great deal.     Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would also say you will probably have better luck getting good deals if you go with late Oct to Nov. My wedding is Columbus Day weekend and I've seen a few places where things would have been cheaper if it was even one week later.

Like PP said, thinking outside the box will be the way to go, but it will still be tight. Also, you will definitely pay more for water views.

As far as the Falmouth Yacht Club, I believe-- but could be wrong-- that it is members only or you need to be sponsored by a member.
  • Options
    meghanm719meghanm719 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you know of anything that is around the cape or around boston that would be nice and a little less expensive?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked at the Beach Breeze Inn....they charge at least $5000 just to use the grounds for the wedding, and that doesn't include tent, tables, chairs, food, etc...  It is a beautiful spot though if you can afford that :-(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked at most venues from NH to Newport (some on water/with waterviews, others not) and the only places I could find that would bring us in close to or at our very tight budget was the Surf & Sand/Skippy's where I am having my wedding (which would only be available for a September wedding as they close for the season at the end of October) and the Myriad Ballroom in Mendon, MA (which is not near much of anything).  They only places I can think of that might be able to keep under $10k would be some VFW halls or something similar...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards