Snarky Brides
Options

Kids at work.

At least once a week in the place where I'm currently working someone brings their kid to work.  It seems like there's always a kid running around or up and down the halls or something.  I think it's kind of weird.  What do you think of kids at work? 

I should mention that although right now I physically work in this location, I don't work with or for the other people here, we're in different organizations, so I have no idea what their policy is.

Re: Kids at work.

• Options
    I personally don't think it's appropriate.  I used to have a coworker do this a lot, we shared a small office together and it was extremely annoying becuase she also wouldn't keep her kid under control.  It really made it difficult to concentrate on my job.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I'm not a fan.  My coworker used to bring his kids in all the time, and I'm the only female in our office so he'd send them to me to "babysit."  Um.. no, not while I'm on the job.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    During the last few days of the school year, none of the students show up and it's just staff.  A LOT of people bring their kids in with them to save on daycare.  While I understand their position, it's really obnoxious.  Most have children around two or three, so it gets very loud.  We don't have an official policy on it and the older teachers like seeing the babies, so we're stuck.
  • Options
    I think it's a bad idea for tons of reasons. It's a huge distraction for everyone there and it's a huge liability to have kids there. How can someone be properly supervising them if they are working? What if they get hurt on company property? What if they destroy company property? It's one thing if it happens on a rare occasion, but if it's on a regular basis, I'd have issue with it.
  • Options
    I could possibly understand if it was like the kid has a 10 AM dentist appointment so instead of going to school for 1.5 hours first they just come to work with mom/dad for a little while.  Or like some of you have mentioned, daycares close and other arrangements need to be made or something.  And I guess I don't know that those things aren't happening, it just seems really frequent. 
  • Options
    At my work we have a scottish terrier that is often there; my business partner brings him in.  If she's ignoring him he makes his rounds through the other offices looking for attention.  Guess that's one of the nice things about having a small biz lol.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    I have never encountered this but in general I don't think it's a good idea.  It's not only a distraction to the other employees but to the parent as well.  It would seriously diminish workplace productivity.

I work in an office of about 20 people and only one person has any children and they are all in their teens so, no, they don't come to work. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    If kids were to come to my workplace, there's a good possibility the place would burn down. No, but really, our office was converted from an old milking factory, so there's no elevator and the stairs are really steep. Probably not even that safe for adults, let alone kids. And I'm pretty sure, based on how some of my coworkers act, I definitely don't want to meet their kids.
  • Options
    When I was little dad would take me to school on teacher work days because both he and mom had to work (also teacher). I would clean all of the white boards/chalk boards, work as a gopher, etc. I thought it was a blast and no one else complained because they had a little helper.

One time my college prof had to bring her 6 year old daughter to class due to a babysitter emergency. We didn't even know she was there until about halfway through the class when suddenly a little pink shoe poked out from behind the prof's podium.

One of my co-managers used to bring her kid to PetSmart all the time. It was incredibly distracting and she spent 90% of her shift trying to figure out where in the store she was, what she was doing, etc.
  • Options
    One of my staff members has 5 kids. In one day, she left her husband and her aunt decided to stop babysitting her kids. SHe didn't have any PTO left because with 5 kids, someone is always sick. I let her bring the youngest ones to work with her because I needed her to be there. That was only one day and won't happen again.

Our VP of enrollment services brought her baby to work when she was an infant. Her son goes to our university, so he and/or other students watched the baby when she was in meetings. I had a meeting with her while the baby was in a bumbo in her office, and it didn't inhibit our productivity at all. SHe goes to daycare now because she is mobile and quite vocal, though.

My boss already told me that she wouldn't mind an infant in the office for a few months. I don't know that I could do it, but I have relatively little student contact now so I don't really have to worry about the germs part of being on a college campus. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I didn't go to daycare or preschool, I went to work with my mom until kindergarten (she only worked three days a weeks back then)  I guess it wasn't a big deal to that particular office because mom was the only secretary for all four lawyers in the office, and I was a quiet kid.  I played by myself and I learned to read really early.  Mom wasn't planning on going back to work after I was born, but the head of the firm literally begged her to stay on and even offered to convert the conference room into a nursery/playroom for me. 

I can DEFINITELY feel your pain for having to put up with noisy annyoing kids while you're trying to get things done though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When I was working at an archaeology lab I told my coworker to bring in her baby. She could not handle being a working mom and I frequently found her crying in the library because she felt like a mom failure. Once kids were able to crawl/walk they were not allowed in the building though.
  • Options
    I went to work with my mom when I was little, but I was a very quiet, wel-behaved kid.  My mom would bring books and small toys and I would entertain myself for hours.  The only incident was when her boss brought his granddaughter in and she was a wild beast.  He let us play on his computer and she pushed me out of the way so she could use it alone.  I fell and had a bump on my head.  Not a big deal, but that brat was never allowed back :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_kids-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6d7011e-9da2-42c1-9609-ae252141f831Post:a9e895c2-d0f8-4348-8a4f-ae09fba29132">Re: Kids at work.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my area we've had problems with daycares closing - <strong>so sometimes, I've heard of parents having to have their kids at work for a day or two while other arrangements are made.</strong> But really, I don't get bringing a kid to work for no reason, other than it's like "hey, I'm showing off my awesomely awesome kid that I think is AWESOME," because really, I think it's stupid. 
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that the daycare just shut down with out warning or do you mean it like "oh, daycare is closed today for a holiday, so I'm bringing my kid with me"? I hope it's the first one because the second one is crap. They need to either make arrangements or take the day off. Daycares give plenty of notice around closing for holidays.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_kids-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6d7011e-9da2-42c1-9609-ae252141f831Post:41d671c2-63a7-4c49-8097-ef1426055b06">Re: Kids at work.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kids at work. : Do you mean that the daycare just shut down with out warning or do you mean it like "oh, daycare is closed today for a holiday, so I'm bringing my kid with me"? I hope it's the first one because the second one is crap. They need to either make arrangements or take the day off. Daycares give plenty of notice around closing for holidays.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

Oh no - like, just randomly shutting down, forever.  At will.

It happened several times last year.  Like, parents would drive up to the daycare and there would be a sign on the door that said "suchandsuchdaycare is now out of business" or something.  Other ones would notify the parents when they picked up their kid that they were closing for good... tomorrow. 

They had like, financial problems and whatnot.  But yeah - holidays?  Don't even pull that - I'm sure that daycares give adequate notice.
    panther
  • Options
    If the kid is well behaved, and it is only a rare occasion, then it would be fine. There is a prof. here who always brings his kid and doesn't watch him at all. It pisses me off, because if you bring the child, then you should make sure it is being good.

I really want to bring my dog to work. She would be far less distracting than a child, and would just lay behind my desk. If people can bring their offspring, I should be allowed to bring my aussie.
  • Options

Not to long ago a co-worker brought her grandson in because the school called and said he had to go home...he had a fever.  She didn't think he was all that sick so she brought him in and set him up at a desk in my department.  Which is no where near her desk, lets see that lasted all of 10 minutes, she was really ticked off when I made her leave with the kid.  On occasion for breif periods of time no problem, but really?  Just like with anything you give an inch and they take a mile...not appropriate in my opinion.

• Options
    Depends.  If the kid is old enough to sit quietly and color or draw, then it's fine with me. 

Someone just brought their 3 year old into the office 5 minutes ago and it was horrible.  The kid had a metal lunchbox and was just swinging it everywhere and it would make lots of noise when she would hit something with it.  She also didn't understand the words "don't touch that," and was going through someone's cube. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think its inappropriate.  I dont care how casual the environment is.  Unless you own the company you dont really have the right to do it.

I dont see how you can give 100% to your job if you are chasing a kid around all day or changing diapers and feeding bottles.

But thats just me and I dont really like other peoples kids.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Awesome thread!
    The mgr here at my work just brought his middle kid into work for the rest of the afternoon.  Yes, this kid is like 7 or so, but he makes a TON of noise...and I have a headache so I'm even more ANNOYED!  He brings in both of his sons usually once a week for serveral hours b/c its summer, but still...this is a place of business!

Another guy here brought in his 9 month old for the whole day!  Sure their babysitter just bailed on them but damn...take a day off then!  She cried just about the whole day too!!!

Another mgr here has brought his youngest (2) into work a handful of time...the 2 yr old is better behavied than the other mgrs 7 yr old!

WTF people!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_kids-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6d7011e-9da2-42c1-9609-ae252141f831Post:355c3b9d-f8ec-4482-b15b-9af1ea3c3dea">Re: Kids at work.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think its inappropriate.  I dont care how casual the environment is.  Unless you own the company you dont really have the right to do it.<strong> I dont see how you can give 100% to your job if you are chasing a kid around all day or changing diapers and feeding bottles.</strong> But thats just me and I dont really like other peoples kids.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

This is why all offices need at least one cage.
  • Options
    Kaite--the little girl had to spend all class behind a podium? That would suck, unless it was a big huge one or something. I had a prof. bring his son to class once and he just sat at a table in the back and played with some toys.

No one here has ever brought a kid to work. Not the right environment. But the kid would be bored out of his mind since you have to be quiet and it's just rows and rows of desks.
  • Options
    My dad was the curator of a small local museum for a number of years and we used to go to work with him all the time. We could fish in the ponds on site or sit and read, or give tours. If there were no visitors, he'd come outside and fish with us. We were over the age of 10 at the time, though, so we could behave. 

I do think it depends on the kid and the nature of the job. 
  • Options
    Sarah- Maybe.

I guess I look at like if I wanted to be around children at work I would be a teacher, day care provider, or nanny.

But, no one has yet to bring their kids to my work.  You know, it being a nightclub and all, lol.  So I really have no experience with it to complain.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Yeah, Blue, if one of your staff or coworkers brought their kid to work, I'd seriously question their parenting. 
  • Options
    I find it completely unacceptable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_kids-work?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d6d7011e-9da2-42c1-9609-ae252141f831Post:2709bbd4-4634-4e4e-8262-8b361c948bcd">Re: Kids at work.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kids at work. : This is why all offices need at least one cage.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

We put the engineers in ours when they get too rowdy.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Totally depends on the kid and the workplace.  My son, 7, comes in once, maybe twice, a year as a "special treat".  It is usually summer or Christmas when people are out.  I have a door that shuts and I bring a laptop for him to watch movies, books, drawing stuff, etc.  We come out at lunch and say hi to people but otherwise I would NEVER dream of him running the halls or interrupting people at work.   No way!  He is very, very well-behaved.  And if he wasn't, I would never bring him.  But I have seen kids who are loud and do goofy stuff and I agree that it is not cool to put your colleagues through that.  And asking the females to babysit?  Ick!  I only bring my son in on very slow, meeting-free days (like the Friday before a holiday weekend).
    Our Wedding Day
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards