February 2012 Weddings

Wedding date just yanked from October 2012 to February 2012... OMG puke! HELP!

I was planning to have so much time... The venue and the cake and the reception are all sorted, kind of. I just bought a dress and it's beautiful. Things I need help with:

-what do I still need to do? flowers? other things for me to wear, like shoes and jewelry?
-my wedding is at 11am, with the reception hall kicking us out at 3pm. About half of the guests, the important ones like parents, are from out of town. What do we do with them for the rest of the day?
-what do I do if the venue decides not to let us play music for the ceremony? We've asked, just don't know yet. Do it anyway?

Any words of advice or comfort are greatly appreciated.

Re: Wedding date just yanked from October 2012 to February 2012... OMG puke! HELP!

• I am SO lost. WHEN is your wedding? Didn't you read the contracts and ask questions before SIGNING the dotted line with your venue?
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • The wedding is February 17th.

The venue is an outdoor park. Because of the timing of the wedding, we wanted to get the park locked down before someone else got it. The contract said nothing about music.

Basically, I'm sorry for the frantic-ness, but I'm panicking and don't have the money saved that we had hoped to, and was hoping for some sympathy. Maybe I should check out the military bride board.
  • No one is trying to be rude to you. We just don't understand the situation. Why was the wedding changed from October to February? When did this happen? If the park was scheduled for October, why is it now in February?
    Anniversary
  • edited February 2012
    My fiance is in the army and getting deployed, and it's not under a normal state of circumstances, so he's leaving in three weeks. We want and need to get married before he goes. We just found out about this last week.

I would have preferred to just go do the city hall thing, and then plan the wedding for when he returns, but he wants to do it "the right way" and have the pretty ceremony and reception on the day we actually marry.
  • edited February 2012
    Well, how many guests are you expecting? 

Honestly, there isn't much you can do about the situation. So just let it happen. You've got your venue, go ahead and have the music play during your ceremony, chances are they aren't going to care or stop you. 

Don't do anything about the out of town guests. They can take care of themselves. When the reception is over at 3 they will carry on with their day. No need to keep entertaining them, unless you wanat to. But since you're already stressing out I wouldn't worry about it. 

Flowers is up to you. If you want some, just pick up something from a grocery store and you can wrap it in pretty ribbon. I did a special order with one of our local grocery stores for my flowers. I will give you a word of advice-- they probably won't do a special order right now because of Valentine's day. I had to beg our store to do my bouquet. 

As far as what you want to wear- I'm assuming you'll be wearing shoes with your dress. So yes, you will need shoes. Jewlery and all that is up to you. We can't decide that for you. If you don't feel like you have time to get all that together than don't worry about it. 

The important thing is the marriage anyways. 
    Anniversary
  • Yea, no one was trying to be rude but your original post did not make much sense. PS the sympathy because your military is BS...over 50% of my friends are military and don't need sympathy they need someone to talk to. We are here to do that here we just need to understand what you desire.

With a short time frame flowers are not needed but you can do a few silk things if you wanted or buy the day before from a floral shop or grocery store and band them how you wish. Most parks won't say anything about music unless it is too loud. I know most have an alcohol restriction though. Talk to your venue calmly and the out of town guests that have to change their plans from Oct to Now will understand. You can always do an after party with drinks at a home if someone lives near by.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think you'll have a beautiful wedding. A park, the love of your life, friends, family and a beautiful gown that makes you feel special. Keep the point of the day in the forefront of your mind and let whatever else you can add to it just happen. Congrats on getting married -- it's going to be a wonderful day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Thanks, all. The perspective is helpful.

I guess I should have made clear the reason for the date change and the fact that I'm stressed. I just want everyone who is spending all their money to come see me get married feel like they are being taken care of.
  • I don't know if you can do all that in two weeks, and I don't know that anyone who is breaking their necks to make it will expect anything but to share in your joy. These people love you, and they will forgive you for being human. Do what you can, but don't be upset if you can't do it all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • you might want to sit down with your hubby to be and explain that this is a huge task to undertake and that your guests might not get the attention to detail they expect this way. have him consider a quickie city hall marriage, then do a renewal of  vows when his deployment is over and there is more time to plan.

a friend of mine did this. she wore the dress she wore to city hall when they renewed their vows, but this time had the cake and the flowers and the friends and family. the photos looked beautiful and it took a considerable amount of stress off of her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If I were you, I would do the city hall gig.. it's simply not enough time and chances are you will not be satisfied with the outcome because it was rushed. Is there a reason you NEED to get married RIGHT NOW? Why not just wait till he comes back? That will give you plenty of time to save and plan the wedding that you really want and deserve!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_february-2012-weddings_wedding-date-just-yanked-october-2012-february-2012-omg-puke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:94076715-01be-4544-b5ad-db7fe810eb77Discussion:7945afe2-3dfd-4d27-a374-cfe8012070dbPost:20baadfb-f3a8-4a07-9ed2-26e7fc8a0722">Re: Wedding date just yanked from October 2012 to February 2012... OMG puke! HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there a reason you NEED to get married RIGHT NOW?
    Posted by janice0487[/QUOTE]

the reason is, this way all his benefits tranfer to her: medical, dental, vision, retirement, life insurance, id cards, commissary/base exchange benefits, everything. military doesn't give a crap if you are just engaged. he also gets benefits for housing once he's married. plus in case he needs things done, they need to be married so that she can have a power of attorney on file with the military to handle his stuff at home while he is deployed. so much crap can be taken care of after the paper is signed and in hand.

i understand the rush to make it legal. the ceremony can wait to take care of neccessities in order to be done right. im sure family and friends will understand the need for a delay and a quickie elopement
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't listen to people saying go to City Hall. If you want to have a wedding, have a wedding! 

This same thing happened to my fiance's brother. He and his wife moved their wedding up and got married in three weeks. From the pictures, it looks like it was beautiful. I agree with the above poster. I've had nine months to plan my wedding, but have been getting the bulk of it done in the past three weeks. You can do it. 

Congratulations :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards