Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Ihome/Ipod vs band/dj

I am thinking about using an Ipod/Ihome in replacement of a band/dj. Has anyone had experense in doing so? And if so, what were your thoughts?

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ihome/Ipod vs band/dj

• edited December 2011
    I just want to know who will be DJing your Ipod? You sure as heck don't want to be in charge of finding and playing your own first dance. It also seems kind of cheap. 

DJs kind of run the reception, and make it fun. I think you'd lose out on a potentially really fun reception if you opted for an Ipod. I'm not saying it won't be fun unless you have a DJ but I think you'd have less fun and more stress.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • wrdgirlwrdgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're having a small wedding then an iPod will be fine and if you know anyone who can be a great emcee (like a friend or family member) it'll work out just fine.

The last wedding I went to had a DJ but the DJ basically just announced a few things, not really doing much in terms of "entertainment".  He did play great music though...if you choose the right music I think you'll be fine.  Not saying he wasn't a great DJ but just saying if you can get someone to do the same for less I don't see why not.
  • edited December 2011
    My husband and I hand selected 9 hours of cocktail/dinner/dance music for our wedding last month.  We organized it all into playlists including separate labeled playlists for the special songs (first dance, parents, etc.).  We had about 6 hours of dance music but made a separate "wind down" playlist with 5 songs so when it was time to wind down we just switched to that one.  We had our MC take care of changing the playlists since he needed to adjust the microphone when he spoke anyway.  It all went very smoothly (besides a drunk cousin deciding we needed more music at the end and winding everyone up after the wind down music had played).  It was great!!  No corny dj, no macarena or chicken dance.  We also put a line on our RSVP cards for song requests which was great because everytime someone's song came on they got excited and had to dance (this helped keep the already full dance floor bumpin').  I would highly recommend this option if you are as picky about music as we are.  It took a loooong time to research what songs to use and to download all the music we needed.  We spent about $100 on itunes which is actually a lot less than I expected.  The stereo rental was $100 as well.  The best part now is that we have 9 hours of amazing music that remind us of the best night ever!
  • Beat Crazy DJBeat Crazy DJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can never replace a live DJ. But, if you are set on saving money on entertainment, it could work if you hired a hobbiest DJ and created your playlists before hand. An ipod because you want "all you music played" shouldnt be the issue. Any DJ should be happy to play whatever you want.
  • edited December 2011

One of my friends did her own djing at her wedding and it went really well.  My friend, her husband, and the wedding party all helped to manage the playlist.  She also asked that the guests please make requests and send the requests with the RSVP card.  My fiance and I have decided to do that as well for our wedding.  We are on a tight budget and decided that we would be better off doing our own music.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • donnaoneilldonnaoneill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The RSVP card with song requests is really cool and I wish I had found out about before I sent out my invitations. Boo.
    "And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." William Shakespeare
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in June and when looking for reception venues,we went with the place that came with a stereo system, microphone, and projector screen (all the things...besides lights...a DJ would bring). We paid $100 more for the reception hall than comparable places without the same equipment. We get to pick our own music, which we've already started doing and are really enjoying.

Also, on our wedding website, we've added a page for people to request songs. The requests are already coming in. I love the idea of putting that on the RSVP card, too.

Every wedding I've been to (five in the last 3 months) has had a really lame DJ. Chicken dance, cheesy announcements, etc. I'd rather avoid the electric slide and let the best man make the few announcements, especially if it saves us $500 or more on a DJ.
  • edited December 2011
    iPod wedding are more common all the time, and the reception is no exception. My fiance's dad's friend has a wedding music site that has the greatest wedding music. I'm using their bridal processional version of Storybook Love to walk down to.

Good luck with your wedding and reception!
  • Flamingo51Flamingo51 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really appreicated this comment.  I have been to a few weddings in the last year, and I don't like the idea of paying a DJ hundreds of dollars to play music I own, so we are DIY DJing also.  I have been searching my current music  for a good well-rounded collection, but I would be interested to know what others do for their playlists! 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_ihomeipod-vs-banddj?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:29Discussion:fc0e4899-8563-453f-86d9-2bbef06d19fdPost:e348cab2-e461-4277-9fcd-72eb7796a108">Re: Ihome/Ipod vs band/dj</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband and I hand selected 9 hours of cocktail/dinner/dance music for our wedding last month.  We organized it all into playlists including separate labeled playlists for the special songs (first dance, parents, etc.).  We had about 6 hours of dance music but made a separate "wind down" playlist with 5 songs so when it was time to wind down we just switched to that one.  We had our MC take care of changing the playlists since he needed to adjust the microphone when he spoke anyway.  It all went very smoothly (besides a drunk cousin deciding we needed more music at the end and winding everyone up after the wind down music had played).  It was great!!  No corny dj, no macarena or chicken dance.  We also put a line on our RSVP cards for song requests which was great because everytime someone's song came on they got excited and had to dance (this helped keep the already full dance floor bumpin').  I would highly recommend this option if you are as picky about music as we are.  It took a loooong time to research what songs to use and to download all the music we needed.  We spent about $100 on itunes which is actually a lot less than I expected.  The stereo rental was $100 as well.  The best part now is that we have 9 hours of amazing music that remind us of the best night ever!
    Posted by jsmith7[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards