October 2013 Weddings
Options

NWR - 1/2 Marathon

Ladies - I have seen a few of you talk about this and needed some advice.

The Disney Wine n' Dine is in early Nov.  I currently run 2 or 3 times per week, 2 to 3 miles at a time. I have done several 5K's and enjoy those.  A half is my ultimate goal.  Can I train up to a half between now and the race date which is a few weeks after the wedding? 

Thanks!
S'mores. Just S'mores please.

Re: NWR - 1/2 Marathon

• Options
    Easily. Plus, runDisney has a ton of training resources available. I'm almost definitely doing that race this year with my dad and sister provided my LCL holds up, FI is doing the 5k with my mom, and Bird is doing the diaper dash, natch.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    LOL that is fantastic!  So when I hit the "purchase entry" button I shall whisper 'easy peasy"?

• Options
    You have plenty of time to train! My half is in May, I really haven't ran since my full in October. March 1 I am in total training mode.

Another good source is Hal Higdon training schedule. They have beginners to excelled running schedules. I used it for my full.

Also, make sure to do cross training and not just running. Do biking, ellipticals, etc. You don't want to hurt yourself.

Lastly, take your training serious. If you miss a scheduled long run, do not skip it and do the next weeks. It will only end up with you being injured. IT Band (iliotibial band) injuries are super common amongst runners and very painful. I had this happen my first half. My friend had it happen for our first full (she's still recovery from October).

Oh, and have fun.

• Options
    Def have plenty of time! Pick a day that will be your long run day.. that's the day you will run slow and build your mileage. Try to keep to the 10% rule- run 10% more distance than your last long run mileage. During the week, you'll want to run 2- 3 days; one easy at a constant pace, one intervals to work on speed and build strength, and one tempo- which just means you want to run comfortably hard.. race pace or faster. The mileage of the mid week runs can be low 2-3 miles starting out, increase to 4- 5 miles later in your training.

Make sure you cross train and strength train! A lot of runners forgo the strength training.. and it causes a lot of muscle imbalances that can cause injuries. Work your core too.. that helps a lot. Oh! and I recommend yoga! Keeps you stretching your legs.. my hamstrings got so tight after I became an endurance runner.

There's a lot of books on the subject.. but I recommend Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half- Marathon Training. breaks training down, easy to understand, and has a lot of great tips to guide you. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1609616847/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry if you know all this already.. I just get excited when people catch the runner's bug :) And Disney is by far the best race you'll run.. and perfect for beginners!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  Tons of really good tips, I appreciate it.  I will let you know if I pull the trigger, so to speak, on registration day.  I get really excited thinking about it but try to calm my bad self down knowing the wedding is coming.  
  • Options
    I agree with Stina.  Plenty of time!  I also used Hal's training plan for my half.  He is great!  I printed out his schedule stuck it to my fridge and then could just cross off each day as I did it.  Y ou can do it!  I always wanted to do that race at disney.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Options
    Steph, it is actually a stress reliever too, so it will be good for the wedding! haha and get you in wedding day shape!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards