Second Weddings
Options

Wedding Dress fitting in a few short weeks!! - VERRRRRY Nervous

The bridal shop called and said my dress should be in in about a week and they would call me to set up my first fitting.  I am soooo nervous that I am going to hate it and here's why.  I went in April with my girlfriend and 2 of my daughter's and had a very nice afternoon trying on beautiful dresses.  I am a size 16 in street clothes so to have found a shop that carried "plus" samples was a huge bonus.  I felt pretty in everything.  The very last dress I tried on was a size 12 sample so was too tight to completely zip up around my upper body but it was "the one".  We were all happy and excited and then they measured me to order the right size according to the dress manufacturer.  Well, I ended up being a size 24.  I don't care about the numbers but what I do care about is that the dress I tried on was half as big as the one I am getting and I just don't see how it will be the same.  I am afraid I will look like I have a sparkly comforter on with arms.  I am completely dreading going back in and am thinking of not bringing anyone with me so they don't see how disappointed I am.  What to do? 

Re: Wedding Dress fitting in a few short weeks!! - VERRRRRY Nervous

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Relax.  Most wedding dresses run very small.  And due to the way they are made, if they are too tight- they are almost impossible to let out, so they tend to order up a bit.  Once the alterations make the dress fit you right, you will probably be thrilled.  And besides- freaking out about it now won't help.  If you want to go alone, fine.  But you may have to recreate the OMG moment later on.  :)  ~Donna
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kitty - If you have ladies who are expecting to go with you for your first fitting you could tell them that you would rather they see the finished product - than have images of all the pins and seamstress chalk lines stuck in their heads. 

My x-step daughter was a street size 6, she tried on a dress that was a 4 I believe, she ordered a 16 and when it came in it needed alterations the seamstress told us they always order up 1 - 2 sizes because the dresses have little to no room to be let out and it's easier to have them taken in.

If it was "the one" when too small - it will be the one again once the seamstress gets done and if you want you can have your florist wrap your bouquet in some of the leftover fabric for a perfect match!

Please let us know how it goes... and we'll want to see pictures!!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

It will still be "the one" when you go back in.  Take deep breaths, relax and enjoy! 

Look at it this way, you have a dress.  Some of us (eh hem, that would be me) can't even make a doggone decision.  LOL!

• Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I promise I'm posting this to make you feel better, not worse!   I am confident that I "took one for team Second Weddings," in the fitting area, and you'll be fine!

The WORST fitting experience I could have imagined. (Rant/Vent)

The (hopefully) good news is:

F/U to the WORST fitting experience from last night - A glimmer of HOPE!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh I'm sorry to hear that Melissa, I hope that things will look up for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Melissa,
    You definitly took one for the team. Wow, just wow.

Get a good seamstress. Go on your local boards and ask for referrals for a bridal seamstress. They have plenty here in chicago area and my lady is a complete GEM. Was worth the 350. I paid. She's spent hours with me in the dress while pinning the hem, and complimenting me the whole time. That is good customer service!! By the end we were telling each other I love you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards