Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

how much to pay?

I really wanted the bridal march in panflute played at my wedding. I couldn't find any local panflutist or any that could travel to my location (in my budget). I found a man from Canada who's recording it for me - and I was just wondering how much should I pay him for this song?

Of course, I'd like it pay as little as possible due to my tight budget. I was thinking maybe somewhere around $4-$5??

What do you think?

Re: how much to pay?

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $4-$5 to record a song specially for you??  Good luck with that.  You say he is "recording it for me", indicating that he doesn't already have it recorded.  He would have to get the music, learn it, practice it, record it, make sure it sounds good, and do any sound editing.

I assume he works with fees, and doesn't just go by donations, so I think your best bet is to ask him how much it is going to cost.  And expect it to be more than $5.
  • edited December 2011
    he wont tell me how much it's going to cost, he just asked how much I was "thinking." I didn't want to offer something like $5 - if he was thinking something more like $500! 

He's not using a fancy recording studio or anything - just a microphone connected to his computer. He said he already had the sheet music, and he said he might try to sell it on a CD at a later date - so it won't be soley for me if he does that. 
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In that case, I'd up the offer then.  Definitely >$5.  Maybe $25?
  • edited December 2011
    okay. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    I had no idea how much was normal for this sort of thing - I've only been in contact with him via email - and he wont tell me how much to pay him. I've asked him several times.

Thanks for the advice. 
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds like he has maybe recorded things before, so he should be well aware of the legal issues for recording copyrighted music.   Also, any musician should be well aware of copyright limitations (you aren't even allowed to copy one page of music simply to tape it onto the other, making a pageturn much easier).  I'd be extremely careful & ask him about this, so you don't get into trouble by using illegal material at your wedding.  It's so unlikely, but all you need is the wrong person to overhear another asking you where the music came from, etc...

Does he own have copyright permission? It sounds like he has the music (not written by him, so he probably does not own the rights), which is illegal to record/reproduce music in this manner.  All you have to do to get such permission, is write to the company, explain what the music would be for, # of copies, etc and they write you back.  When I needed it 10 years ago, it was between 10-30 cents per copy, at the high range.   

Sorry to rain on your parade, just trying to make sure all your bases are covered.  I ran into that issue myself when recording my piano CD about 10 years ago. 

And, I must agree with CMGr about the feeling, for lack of a better word, not respected sometimes.  People do not always realize musicians must practice, sometimes quite a bit, and that time should be recognized.  However, it sounds like you're aware of this & want to respect this gentleman's hardwork/talent.  Kudos to you!

Good luck!!! :-)
    When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things must happen: There will be something solid for us to stand on, or we will be taught to fly. -Patrick Overton
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a church organist/singer, and I'm going to chime in on CMGr's rant.  I'm right there with her.  I have to be honest:  I've paid for years of training, practiced my craft until I CAN perform professionally.  If I were handed $4 for a "custom" recording, I'd be insulted.

Please:  Press the musician for his fee.  Tell him that you're concerned about paying him correctly, and as this is not your field, you really need his guidance.  But please don't think that a couple of bucks is going to be appropriate.  It's not.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all this advice. I was waiting until after Christmas and the New Year to email him again. 
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also want to advise you to ask for a sample of his work.  Have you actually heard him play the panflute?  It's not an easy instrument to play, and you could get ripped off by someone who says "Oh, yes, I can do that for you."  After you pay him what he charges, you end up with a recording that sounds like a 4th grader after 6 months of lessons.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    yes I have heard him play. It's beautiful. He sent me a few short samples of the bridal march. He also said I didn't have to pay him until I'm happy with what he produces.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards