Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Beverages/Plates/Utensils

FI and I are getting married in a yoga room - reception will be same room. There will be approx 30 people (maybe a little less).

For the reception, it's going to be dinner, cake, background music. We'll probably have a first dance, but that'll be it for the dancing.

We are ordering food from an Italian restaraunt. We can either pick it up or they will deliver (we'll probably pick up). Then basically just do buffet style from there. We'll have some rectangle tables all placed together.

Considering the type of reception we are having, I'm not really sure how to handle beverage, plates, and utensils.

Do we just buy 2 liters? Bottles? Cans? Bottled water?

I really don't know what to do without it being tacky or if in this kind of setting, any of the above would be acceptable.

As far as plates go, obviously we aren't going to be using fine china, but it also my be kind of a PITA to haul heavy plates from home to there (then home to wash), but I'm also not feeling paper plates either.

This is pretty much the same for the utensils.

Guests are immediate family and a few close friends.

Any suggestions or because of the type we are having, are these sorts more acceptable?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Beverages/Plates/Utensils

• Options
    I'm having a similar style reception. We're using 2 Liters and solo cups, in our color. We found throw away plates that are nicer than your average dixie plate, but still can be tossed. They were at walmart, I forget the name though. Lol. And the utensils are the colored, real looking plastic ware. We're just having fam and friends and are not trying to impress people, just focus on the celebration.
    -First came baby, Then came love, Now here comes marraige in the marriage carriage??-
  • Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2012
    I would probably do bottles or cans as it's going to be easier.  Two liters and cups screams "child's birthday party" to me.

As far as the plates and utensils, Costco has plastic plates and utensils that look like the real deal.  I'm sure you could find them elsewhere too.  In fact, I found them just now on Amazon - 

• Options
    Thank you so much melissa199 and DramaGeek!

Yeah, I mean, we're definitely not going to go out of our way to impress people. I know that they aren't going to care what we use as long as the food is good lol (and it is!). But I was just trying to imagine standard paper plates and just kind of grimmaced at the thought.

I think bottles will be easier; I think 2 liters may allow for accidents to happen a little easier, especially with limited space.

To keep the drinks cold, do you think a cooler would be okay? Or is there something else that may work a little better? I think we might be a little limited on what we can do to keep things cold.

Thank you very much the links DramaGeek! I think those will work nicely!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    have the place deliver and set up.

use cans or small bottles, with the extras in large galvanized tubs with ice. coolers, imo-no.

• Options
    Thank you StageManager, Sleeper and alithebride!

StageManager, we do have a membership to Sam's Club, so I'll definitely check out what they have!

Sleeper, thanks for the link! I'll have to look into those! I like the look, and it does seem to fit well!

alithebride, thanks for the suggestion on the galvanized tub! I wasn't really sure what else to use other than a cooler, but a cooler didn't seem really appropriate.

As far as the drinks go, how many do think it'd be good to get?

38 are invited, however we're thinking there will be about 25-30. Our RSVP date is 11/3, so that'll give us plenty of time to make absolutely sure that we have enough.

I'm not entirely sure how to decide on flavors of beverage. I was thinking of getting a small variety of regular and diet soft drinks (I have a general idea what my family and his family drinks), bottles of water (definitely!) and maybe some tea? I don't want to over do it, but I know over doing it would be better than under doing it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards