Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Advice for Honolulu honeymoon please!

FI and I are honeymooning in Honolulu in September and staying in the Aston hotel on Waikiki beach.  We have a rental car.  What are the must-sees as far as attractions and activities? What should we avoid? TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Advice for Honolulu honeymoon please!

• Options
    We stayed at the Aston Waikiki as well, it's a nice place.  It's been a couple years, but they used to do free breakfast out by the pool, which was kind of nice.    Since you'll have a rental car, be aware that parking at the hotel is about $30/day (it's roughly the same for all the hotels on Waikiki).  It's also valet only, so call ahead when you are leaving your room, so they can be fetching your car for you.

For restaurants, we really enjoyed Lulu's, which is literally about 2 minutes from the hotel.  They have really good fish, and it's on the second floor, so it has great views for sunset.  Also, you have to check out Duke's, it's a landmark.  Definitely hit up the food court in the International Marketplace as well for some Dole Whip (pineapple flavored soft serve).  You can get it at the Dole Pineapple Plantation as well, but the marketplace is easier.

As for places to see, cfas covered all the big ones.  Have fun!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you for your advice! I'm really excited for the food! Sounds like you both had a good time, and I'm really excited to experience it for myself!
  • Options
    I have been twice with FI and going in a few weeks with girlfriends. One of my favorite places. Both times we rented mopeds and got around the island that way. It was the highlight of our trip. PP listed the things I would recommend, but I would add the little show the Hyatt puts on - Thursday or Friday night. Great show in front of the pool with a firework show. Way better than their full luau in my opinion. Also there is a hike we did that was gorgeous. I will see if I can look it up and let you know what it is called.
  • Options
    It was Monoa Falls. Short and pretty little hike to the waterfall.
  • Options
    mcda04mcda04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_advice-for-honolulu-honeymoon-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:1a94754c-2c1f-40ed-9c92-315469797169Post:c85b2f93-88bf-4496-b820-b5bc53a00620">Advice for Honolulu honeymoon please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I are honeymooning in Honolulu in September and staying in the Aston hotel on Waikiki beach.  We have a rental car.  What are the must-sees as far as attractions and activities? What should we avoid? TIA!
    Posted by KBSK12[/QUOTE]

Please let us know how your trip went. We're going to Hawaii in October and we're also staying at the Aston. I was unaware of the parking fee so I'm so happy i saw PP comment. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_advice-for-honolulu-honeymoon-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:1a94754c-2c1f-40ed-9c92-315469797169Post:cab4915e-a728-4649-a379-f48c5e67fd48">Re: Advice for Honolulu honeymoon please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Advice for Honolulu honeymoon please! : Please let us know how your trip went. We're going to Hawaii in October and we're also staying at the Aston. I was unaware of the parking fee so I'm so happy i saw PP comment. :)
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

YGPM!
  • Options
    Just a little advice as I lived in Waikiki for awhile and used to work at the royal Hawaiian :) when driving the island avoid the west coast.. On a map you will see The route that will take you from Waikiki to the north shore and it practically cuts the island in half. That is the way you want to travel and around the east coast. Do not follow or go to the west side... You will not miss anything over there, and there is a huge homeless population. Also many locals live over there and don't take kindly to tourists. However if you stay through the middle amd east side you will have an amazingggg time. It is beautiful and there are more beaches then you can imagine. The Polynesian cultural center is great, they do a great show as well at night. Pearl harbor tours are a must, short but very interesting. Drive to Pali pass and you will see some incredible views. Hike diamond head early and see an amazing sunrise. Go to the breakfast buffet at the shorebird restaurant. It's soooo good, tons of food, fresh fruit, on the beach, view of diamond head...doesn't get any better. do a catamaran ride... You can find a vendor on the beach for around $20 a person and will probably see sea turtles. hanuma bay is my favorite place on earth... The snorkeling is so good, The beach is good, they have life guards, and most tours out of Waikiki will include transportation and snorkel gear for pretty cheap. 3 hours is usually long enough or pack a lunch and spend the day.
  • Options
    Also, I forgot to mention..l you should never have to pay full price for anything... Along the streets are tons of little booklets filled with coupons for everything you would ever want to do, seriously use a coupon for everything. Also, look up a shuttle number for airport transportation.. Will probably be $15 ... A cab is close to $45. There are "ABC" stores literally every block in Waikiki... Sell everything from basic groceries, to beach stuff, to shampoo, to trinkets so if you forget anything just stop in one of those. Another way to get around is there are trolleys everywhere... A lot of them are chartered but there is a pink line... For $1 this does a loop around Waikiki. Also including a bug open air mall. Pm me if you have any other questions,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards