Moms and Maids
Options

Wedding party outfits - Is it okay?

okay so the groomsmen cannot afford tuxes so i am letting them all where button up shirts and khaki slacks with black ties (as long as they are all the same). mainly i mad this concession because my fiance said i had no choice in the matter. now i have this idea that the bridesmaids could where colored high waisted skirts with loose fitting tops and a thick black belt so that it didn't look so awkward having one side dress up really fancy and the other just not. I was wondering your guys' thoughts on how that would look.

still if we did this i couldn't find it in my heart to ask the wedding guest to come in formal wear if the party isn't.

I still plan on wearing a wedding dress, and he is still wearing a tux.

Re: Wedding party outfits - Is it okay?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_is-it-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:d09d76ad-a23f-4900-a7e6-963a87a395c6Post:9eb2fd4c-91cd-439c-a163-d1fab284c8cc">Wedding party outfits - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]okay so the groomsmen cannot afford tuxes so i am letting them all where button up shirts and khaki slacks with black ties (as long as they are all the same). mainly i mad this concession because my fiance said i had no choice in the matter. now i have this idea that the bridesmaids could where colored high waisted skirts with loose fitting tops and a thick black belt so that it didn't look so awkward having one side dress up really fancy and the other just not. I was wondering your guys' thoughts on how that would look. still if we did this i couldn't find it in my heart to ask the wedding guest to come in formal wear if the party isn't. I still plan on wearing a wedding dress, and he is still wearing a tux.
    Posted by EverLast[/QUOTE]

First of all, you cannot ask your guests to come dressed any specific way.  Second, your FI is right that he says what his side wears and you say what your side wears. Your BMs would look fine in simple knee length sheath dresses.  Loose fitting tops and high waisted skirts I honestly cannot picture looking good.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_is-it-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:d09d76ad-a23f-4900-a7e6-963a87a395c6Post:f51ef569-71b5-457a-b093-25a9d63d5e21">Re: Wedding party outfits - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Wedding party outfits - Is it okay? : First of all, <strong>you cannot ask your guests to come dressed any specific way</strong>.  Second, your FI is right that he says what his side wears and you say what your side wears. Your BMs would look fine in simple knee length sheath dresses.  Loose fitting tops and high waisted skirts I honestly cannot picture looking good.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

I would say there are two exceptions to this rule:
    1) If you are having a complete black tie affair with all the bells and whistles that go along witha black tie affair (but it doesn't sound like you are)
    2) If your venue has a specific dress code that must be followed like "men must wear jackets/blazers", etc

I agree with PP that your BMs can wear nice short dresses in any fabric and they will go perfectly well with what the GMs are wearing.

As for your groom, since his guys aren't wearing tuxes I wouldn't have him wear a tux because that is too formal compared to the rest of your WP.  He could, however, wear a very nice suit (but no vest).

It sounds to me like you wanted a formal wedding but unfortunately that vision just does not match up with your WP budget.  Sometimes what we envision does not always become a reality and you have to compromise.  You can still have a very lovely and beautiful wedding that is a bit more on the casual side.

• Options
    FI can have his guys dress however he wants. I Do agree with PP that if they are not dressed very formal, it might look out of place for FI to be in a tux, though.

I really can't picture a high-waisted skirt and flowy blouse. It also seems like it wouldn't be flattering on every body type and possibly hard to find this in a store in everybody's size. I would just go with a simple dress like PPs suggested.

And yes, also, you can't tell guests how to dress unless the venue has a dress code (like jackets required for instance) or if you are having a truly black tie affair, which you aren't.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    ditto PPs.  Your girls in simple dresses will look lovely, and will match the formality of the guys just fine (I frequently wear dresses to events like baptisms or nice dinners where H would just wear a shirt and slacks).  I would find the BM outfit you're describing to be really odd; and agree that it will likely not be flattering on different body types.

I also agree that your FI in a tux while the guys wear much more casual attire will look a little silly.  How about something like below; he could add a jacket to be a little more formal than the GM, but not totally out there

or he can match the groomsmen like this
  • Options
    To me it sounds like the choice of GM and BM attire (with the high waisted skirts) would look awesome and very vintage - 60s if styled right. However, if that's not what you are going for, then listen to everyone above and go for classic plain BM dresses styled down a little to match the guys. Your FI should definitely not be in a tux if they guys aren't, but you can give him a nice blazer pocket square combo to make him fit the vintage also.

I like the idea of the high waisted skirt and blouse. Might not look good on everyone, but it's your day and traditional bridesmaid dresses are so boring!

Go for it!
  • Options
    I agree with pps regarding the high waisted skirts and flowy tops.  Those skirts make me look like a cow because I'm not a skinny mini.  A simple dress would look much better and flatter much better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards