New York
Options

Being Realistic on a Budget

I have had to face it. No dream wedding for me. I'm probably below middle class, we just don't make a lot of money. And you'd think we would with our jobs (I'm a nanny and he's a wedding DJ). But truth be told after all our bills, at the end of the month we probably have about 300 to play with and most goes to gas and groceries. We have taken on more hours at our jobs so that should help some, but we won't be having thousands extra per month to save for a wedding (which is Spet 2013). 

My dream venue: Franklin Plaza. Had a meeting there last night, just gorgeous, great food, great service but 16,000+?! No way we can do that without taking out loans and spending the first few years of marriage in complete debt...

With that being said, does anyone have any helpful venue ideas in upstate? We live in the Albany area and will go as far as Lake George (no syracuse, utica, etc). We love beautiful architecture, if it's possible but it's not a demand. We also are getting married in a church (undecided as to what one on that as well, but that can be decided based on venue). 

Thank you in advance!

Re: Being Realistic on a Budget

• Options
    sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about your dream venue.  I'm sure you'll be able to find something that fits your budget.  Girls on here have had beautiful weddings for definitely less than 10K.  I don't know of any places that might work for you as I'm out of your location range.  You may want to try the Upstate or Hudson Valley board; we're more Syracuse, Utica, Rochester, Ithaca, etc. here.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately weddings are getting really expensive, but it's not impossible to do it on a budget.

Like PP said, we are more familiar with points west of Albany-- Syracuse, Rochester, etc., so I'm not sure of any venues in the Lake George vicinity.

My suggestion would be to think outside the box-- think of other venues that would be unlikely candidates for a wedding? You might get a really good deal on a place that most wouldn't go to. For example, lots of women have their weddings at a state park, farm, etc. in efforts to cut costs. Also, think about what you can do yourself. You can cut big costs from DIY projects like invitations, programs, centerpieces, etc.

Another suggestion would be to keep it small. While maybe not ideal, the more guests you have, the more money per head for food/beverage costs. I think you could have a beautiful budget wedding with nice perks for less cost if you're creative.

Good Luck!
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    csharpe44csharpe44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, like everyone else is saying we're more from Syracuse, Roch, etc so I can't be too much help with an actual venue but like PP said, try to think outside the box.  Since my wedding will be small and informal our reception is going to be at a place where they usually do office parties, birthday parties, etc.  That's considerably cheaper.
    Also, I'm sure you've done the research, the best way to save money is the guest list.  Chop it.  I'm keeping mine at 50-65 tops so that helps.
    And also think of how much time you have.  Anytime you have a couple extra bucks grab something, just make sure it's not something that will be out dated by the time the wedding day comes.  I bought my favors 2 months after I got engaged because they were so perfect.
    I understand EXACTLY where your coming from and it would be nice if your parents could fork out $60,000 for your dream wedding but when it comes down to it, it's about you and him and joining your love.  Keep your chin up, money will make wedding planning twice as stressful as those who can easily afford it.
  • Options
    csharpe44csharpe44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, if he's a wedding DJ, he's got to have some connections!  Feel free to tap into them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards