Tennessee

Am I going to freeze to death??

So I was going to get married in TN (Loudon area) in June 2011. Family (who live down there) & I decided it would be too hot. (Outdoor wedding, by the river, on a family member's property.)

So we moved it to October 15, only to find out I couldn't get our cabin in the Smokies that week after, so I moved it to October 22, 2011. That's where it's stayed for awhile. We went down to stay with this family member this past weekend so I could see the site a little more closely and plan things (decorations, placement, all that fun stuff). Well, Saturday was just beautiful (October 2), but Sunday we had a family get-together and everyone nearly FROZE to death! It was cloudy and freezing and awful. This family member's live-in boyfriend kept telling me that's how it'd be for my wedding, and everyone would be too cold, and I'd freeze (in a dress!) if I did it on October 22. I really liked the idea of doing that, because the leaves will be changing and it's going to be pretty...but for those of you who live in the area...am I nuts? Am I doomed to freezing out my guests and myself if I wait until October 22? Others in the area said that it was pretty abnormal for it to be as cold as it was, but still, now I'm freaking out and I don't know what to do. I don't really want to change the date *again*, and having it in the family member's house isn't an option (her house is too small).

Do you think I've got a decent shot at it being at least pleasant out, or do I absolutely need to move it to a warmer month? (This man suggested August, but I *know* it's too hot in August.)
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Am I going to freeze to death??

• edited December 2011
    I've lived in East Tennessee my entire life, and this early October cold snap is COMPLETELY abnormal. I'm usually still wearing short sleeve shirts on my birthday, which is October 24, and I rarely think about pulling out my sweaters and jackets until Halloween or the first of November(which I realize is only a week after that, but still). I think it would probably end up being nice 65-70 degree weather, which is very temperate for October. Warm enough that it's okay to go sleeveless/strapless during the day, but you might want a light jacket in the morning or late evening. If you're having a late wedding (especially near or after sunset), it might be too chilly for comfort, but I think an afternoon wedding outside would be lovely!

A wedding in the Smokies in the fall is always beautiful, with the changing leaves and the musky smell of fall in the air. I wish my FI and I could do it, but a) we'll be in graduate school and b) it would interfere with football season! Go Vols!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm a little worried about interfering with those precious Vols LOL. I'm hoping I'll get lucky and maybe that'll be their one Saturday without a game!! :P

Yes, I probably should have mentioned, the wedding is going to be at 2pm - usually the peak time for the heat of the day, so that should be good. The guests will be welcome to stay late, but there will be a bonfire going (after the ceremony) and they're all instructed to "dress comfortable".

Thank you for your opinion, I appreciate it :D
  • kmcconnell105kmcconnell105 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are coming from MI to marry in Gatlinburg on the 18th, I feel you on the weather concern. Our wedding is outdoors at 3pm. We were down last yr this time and it was beautiful! Hopefully it warms up a bit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • leighbee99leighbee99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the thing about weather in TN is that it's hard to predict.  It can change quickly, esp. during a season change.  I've always heard the saying "if you don't like the weather in TN, wait a minute!"  i hope it cooperates with you ladies!
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I've been down before, but it's always been in summer (and once in December lol).

Thanks, ladies, I feel much better now - and good luck to you, kmcconnell! Hopefully we'll both get lucky and have gorgeous weather :D

leigh, we say that about Ohio too :P
  • kmcconnell105kmcconnell105 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TY so much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AdelphiTNAdelphiTN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's turning back to warm and beautiful now. I think you've got the right idea... afternoon ceremony, bonfire and/or hot chocolate in the evening. I'd have a backup plan in place... inside by a crackling fire would be nice. No worries, ladies.

Oh and the vols play out of town on Oct 22, 2011. :)
    http://www.govolsxtra.com/gvx/football/2011schedule/
  • mwhitson14mwhitson14 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_tennessee_am-going-freeze-death?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:125Discussion:a58bd934-2379-4ed7-8903-5630009b7a64Post:60dab34a-8845-4cb5-9cfa-7b997dea79c9">Re: Am I going to freeze to death??</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>the thing about weather in TN is that it's hard to predict.</strong>  It can change quickly, esp. during a season change.  I've always heard the saying "if you don't like the weather in TN, wait a minute!"  i hope it cooperates with you ladies!
    Posted by leighbee99[/QUOTE]

That's the thing. This week has been absolutely gorgeous; but I'm checking out the forecast for next week and it's dipping down into the 30s. However, at 2pm, I think you'll be ok. Guests aren't stupid; if it's a little chilly they'll grab a jacket, and you might want to be prepared (and your WP) with wraps or pashminas. Congrats!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • opalsky007opalsky007 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're all right--it's hard to predict. It was 60 degrees and pouring on my wedding day in January. I imagine it won't be chilly for you, and your guests should be prepared for this. But I like the idea of pashminas for your BMs! I got some for my girls and they loved them.
  • EasyAsh1220EasyAsh1220 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Adelphi- The Vols play Alabama that day! When my FI and I picked our date, we had no clue that it was the Tennessee/Alabama game, which is funny to us bc his side and myself are die hard Roll Tide...my family and friends are Vols all the way! So should be an interesting day lol
  • StrangeKaneStrangeKane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Knoxville, TN and actually my sister is planning her wedding for October 22, 2011 and it is outdoor. As this exactly a year to the date of your wedding, based on today you will be fine! During the day it was quite warm (shorts would have been fine) and this evening was in the high 50s and 60s until 10 or 11pm. It was clear skies and sunny!! If you and my sister get this weather on this day next year then you will be happy campers!
    Also, my sister intentionally planned for the 22nd because the Vols DO NOT have a home game that day...so you are in the clear!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards