Gay Weddings

What to do about the garter?!

Hello! I am really just looking for opinions on this topic. My partner and I are planning a wedding for next summer and one of the topics that has come up is the garter. She will be wearing a dress and I will be wearing a tux. Obviously, I am not planning to wear a garter, nor do I want to, however, should she? I think I would feel a little embarrased about taking it off in front of our families because I think our relationship can make some people uncomfortable, but then I wonder if I really care. They are there to support us, right?

I guess I am just wondering what you think. Should I just go for it, or should we just skip it. What are your plans?
Thanks!!

Re: What to do about the garter?!

• We're skipping it. It's a first "gay wedding" for most people we're inviting. I'm wearing the dress. She's wearing a suit...I think it would make everyone, plus us, uncomfortable...but it's really a personal preference. I think I will wear one and have her "retrieve" it later when we're in our hotel
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I had a garter toss at my first wedding.  It was totally uncomfortable, if only because the guys ran away to avoid catching the garter.  Plus, I'm not fond of the symbolism of either of the tosses--the idea that people are so desperate to get married that they will fight each other for the honor of being next.

At my second wedding, both NotFroofy and I wore garters.  (They were our "something blue.")  However, there was no tossing of either bouquets or garters.

On the other hand, if you want to do it, I wouldn't be deterred by what people will think.  People who are there for a same-sex wedding ought to be able to deal with the same traditions as they would see at a wedding of an opposite-sex couple.
  • We ran all the traditional wedding customs through a little set of questions to decide whether we wanted to keep them or scrap them:

Does this have any meaning to us?
    Will it make us happy to do this?
    Are we going to miss this if we don't include it?

The garter and bouquet tosses got no on all three, so we aren't doing them.  I think if you have to think hard about whether want to do a garter toss, it's probably not something you need to do.  Your guests won't miss it if you don't.
    imageWhite Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have gone back and forth about this too...my fiance is wearing a dress, I am wearing a tux.  She wants to do bouquet toss and garter...I am not sure.  I am normally embarrassed easily anyway...heck, the 1st dance has me terrified! LOL  I don't care so much about people's level of comfort though...
    ***HAPPILY MARRIED 10-11-12*** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate the garder toss at straight weddings, so it's definitely not on the agenda for my own. It's just kinda tacky to do in front of your family and mixed company, IMO. 

I do like the idea of wearing it for a private "retrieval" later, though. Wink

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_gay-weddings_what-to-do-about-the-garter?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:44Discussion:66845754-8f8f-409c-a8b0-5cf4827d85cdPost:f54aabcc-9e08-4587-87d9-fc04d235919f">Re: What to do about the garter?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have gone back and forth about this too...my fiance is wearing a dress, I am wearing a tux.  She wants to do bouquet toss and garter...I am not sure.  I am normally embarrassed easily anyway...heck, the 1st dance has me terrified! LOL  I don't care so much about people's level of comfort though...
    Posted by mercurybebe[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I feel too! I usually avoid being in the "spotlight" and even standing in front of everyone is scaring me. I am excited to have this day, but none the less, very scared. We have discussed this more, and I don't think we'll be doing either the bouquet toss or garter toss.
  • I'd skip it.  Tradition isn't mandatory.  You also should consider how many single men/woman will be at your wedding to begin with.
  • If it is something important to you then sure, have fun with it, I know des that they will blindfold the bridegroom and put a guy on the seat with a hairy leg lol and then laugh about it and then have the bride sit and do it for real, it's all about how comfortable you are, it's YOUR DAY!! Do what you want don't think about what others think or don't want to see they are there for you, it might even open their eyes to reality, me and my partner don't express PDA in front of people we don't know but your wedding guests know you so it should be comfortable I want to do things traditionally but yet with our own flare so everyone knows we aren't any different than them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards