Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid dress color

I have 7 bridesmaids, so obviously picking something they all agree on is definitely difficult. I've been trying to listen to everyone's opinions in order to at least narrow down some BM dress choices, but my best friend is being INCREDIBLY difficult with it. Basically, the general consensus from my girls is no pink dresses, which is understandable. My colors are pink and brown, and I thought that brown dresses with pink boquets would look gorgeous. 6 out of 7 of my girls agreed with me. My best friend absolutely flipped out when I told her I was even thinking about brown dresses and responded with "...but I want to wear purple" and went on and on about how she hates the color brown. This is the same girl who told me that she was going to get streaks in her blonde hair to match the color of her dress. I don't know how to deal with this though without coming off as a Bridezilla. I mean every one of my girls besides her loved the idea of a brown tea length dress... it's something they could wear again and honestly, the color is flattering on all of them. I don't want to be mean to my best friend. We've been friends for 12 years, but she always needs attention on her, and I feel like this is her way of doing it.  Any tips?

Re: Bridesmaid dress color

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is the time you say, "This is the color for the dresses.  I'm sorry that you don't like it but it's just for one day.  I'm sure you're going to look great."  Then change the subject.  There's not much you can do for people like this.  If they are all wearing the same dress and she's being the difficult one then tell her the style number and the deadline for ordering then leave it at that.  If they're allowed to choose their own style then tell her the color and let her choose a style that suits her.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-dress-color-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:c1f021d5-e290-4ff0-a841-97fd41a3b0e6Post:b8fc815f-021a-4535-8760-651cf540eee5">Bridesmaid dress color</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have 7 bridesmaids, so obviously picking something they all agree on is definitely difficult. I've been trying to listen to everyone's opinions in order to at least narrow down some BM dress choices, but my best friend is being INCREDIBLY difficult with it. Basically, the general consensus from my girls is no pink dresses, which is understandable. My colors are pink and brown, and I thought that brown dresses with pink boquets would look gorgeous. 6 out of 7 of my girls agreed with me. My best friend absolutely flipped out when I told her I was even thinking about brown dresses and responded with "<strong>...but I want to wear purple</strong>" and went on and on about how she hates the color brown. This is the same girl who told me that she was going to get streaks in her blonde hair to match the color of her dress. I don't know how to deal with this though without coming off as a Bridezilla. I mean every one of my girls besides her loved the idea of a brown tea length dress... it's something they could wear again and honestly, the color is flattering on all of them. I don't want to be mean to my best friend. We've been friends for 12 years, but she always needs attention on her, and I feel like this is her way of doing it.  Any tips?
    Posted by lkgilberti[/QUOTE]

Is purple even one of your colors?  I'm all for different dresses to fit different body styles, but the colors are where you can put your foot down.  She can choose the style, but it has to be brown.  If she doesn't want to wear brown, she doesn't have to be in the WP
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • Options
    ChobotChobot member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Have you told the purple dress girl to simmer down? LOL. JK. Really? Purple streaks? Is that even in your color palette?

It is really nice that you wanted your girls to feel involved in the decision making. However, choosing the dress and saying that is it will save your hours of compromising and complaints. It is not bridezilla, it is what is expected. Perhaps they have not been in too many weddings....

My girls helped me choose the dress and at first, I wanted my girls to choose 3 dresses from Bill Levkoff in the same plum color, but they united somehow and decided to wear the same exact dress.Perhaps let the girls pick dresses within the designer, fabric, and color?? 

Good luck! Love the color combo~
  • Options
    I thought bridesmaid dresses were usually in a color of the wedding with the exception of black dresses. Since purple is not even a color i would just tell her you are going with brown dresses but that she can pick out the style, if she mentions the purple again say "i am sorry but that is not one of my wedding colors, this is not a normal party, unfortunately you do not get to choose the color, i am sorry". then change the subject.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Dream Honeymoon/Actual Honeymoon Disneyworld Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When I was a bridaids the bride picked brown dresses. I wasn't too keen on the color, but it ended up looking quite nice on me and I'd have never objected to the color because that's what the bride wanted. I'd tell her that you've picked the color and if she still refuses to order the dress shes removed herself from the party. I chose the color, length, designer and fabric for my BMs and they tried on all the applicable dresses and all chose different ones with no complaints.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    Bridezilla would be picking a dress outside of their budget, or picking a dress with no regard for the styles your BMs are comfortable and look good in.  Putting your foot down on the color is not 'zilla.  I'm letting my BMs choose their own styles, and color is still one of the things I've picked that they have to adhere to.  

"I'm sorry you don't like it, but this is what we've chosen.  The last day to order this dress is blah."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards