Virginia
Options

PLEASE HELP! Trying to find a venue in Hampton roads, Williamsburg, 40 mile radius

I really need some advice and input! I am having an unbelievably hard time having ANYONE get back to my inquiries at my location options, and if they do initially get back with me follow up questions (same day!!!) relayed through emails or calls go unreturned. I know what kind of wedding I want to have, but am having a hard time finding something that fits that isnt astronomical in price.

I really really really wanted the Warner Hall, if you are familliar with this place you allready understand my taste lol. It was beautiful and everything I wanted, but we simply can not pay 5,000 on top of the food and venue fee to rent the inn for the two nights as mandated. I was devastated when I realized how much that mandated rental is, as the food and venue fees we not cheap but within our budget since they included tables, chairs, linens, some floral, tent, food.. and a back up rain plan! (for our wedding of 55-70 people the high estimate was about 7,200)

Unfortunately the 5,000 for the rental (which we do not need at all...) was unneseccary for us and would eat the rest of our budget. I am not looking at:

*Apple Blossom Plantation- which I have been very dissapointed to read horrible ratings about, but there are alot of good ones too so I am VERY leery of this and dont know what to make of it?

*Jasmine Plantation-  While its very pretty, it doesnt really give me the "wow" factor.. but its now looking like a front runner minus the fact that I can not get anyone to explain the fees (inclusions, exclusions, etc) listed on their page.

*Berkeley Plantation- Can't get anyone to return my calls to see about pricing!

Does anyone have any reviews on these above locations, or could make any suggestions?? I am so frustrated with this. I want to do spring of 2013, have a ceremony and reception at the same site, garden, foilage, trees are important to me. I would prefer to do it somewhere that we werent in the middle of public. I love rustic, and historical, and we really want somewhere like a plantation, inn, manor, colonial house.. etc. I want to get married outside, and envision a sunset ceremony with a lighted tent reception. We dont need to stay on the premesis, and dont need catering but are ok with purchasing it if the site mandates that.

Re: PLEASE HELP! Trying to find a venue in Hampton roads, Williamsburg, 40 mile radius

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I really need some advice and input! I am having an unbelievably hard time having ANYONE get back to my inquiries at my location options, and if they do initially get back with me follow up questions (same day!!!) relayed through emails or calls go unreturned. I know what kind of wedding I want to have, but am having a hard time finding something that fits that isnt astronomical in price.

I really really really wanted the Warner Hall, if you are familliar with this place you allready understand my taste lol. It was beautiful and everything I wanted, but we simply can not pay 5,000 on top of the food and venue fee to rent the inn for the two nights as mandated. I was devastated when I realized how much that mandated rental is, as the food and venue fees we not cheap but within our budget since they included tables, chairs, linens, some floral, tent, food.. and a back up rain plan! (for our wedding of 55-70 people the high estimate was about 7,200)

Unfortunately the 5,000 for the rental (which we do not need at all...) was unneseccary for us and would eat the rest of our budget. I am not looking at:

*Apple Blossom Plantation- which I have been very dissapointed to read horrible ratings about, but there are alot of good ones too so I am VERY leery of this and dont know what to make of it?

*Jasmine Plantation-  While its very pretty, it doesnt really give me the "wow" factor.. but its now looking like a front runner minus the fact that I can not get anyone to explain the fees (inclusions, exclusions, etc) listed on their page.

*Berkeley Plantation- Can't get anyone to return my calls to see about pricing!

Does anyone have any reviews on these above locations, or could make any suggestions?? I am so frustrated with this. I want to do spring of 2013, have a ceremony and reception at the same site, garden, foilage, trees are important to me. I would prefer to do it somewhere that we werent in the middle of public. I love rustic, and historical, and we really want somewhere like a plantation, inn, manor, colonial house.. etc. I want to get married outside, and envision a sunset ceremony with a lighted tent reception. We dont need to stay on the premesis, and dont need catering but are ok with purchasing it if the site mandates that.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I cant offer any help but i totaly feel you and is  in the same boat. I am new to Vergina and am haveing a horible time figureing this whole thing out. Luckly Me and the Dude are not planing on geting hitched anytime soon due to $ so i have some time. 
  • Options
    xBrynnxxBrynnx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was married at Berkeley Plantaton last year and it was a wonderful experience!  Usually the woman in charge of booking weddings, I believe her name is Tammy, is really good with corresponance.  Did you call and request wedding information?  When you call to ask about booking weddings at Berkeley they should take your name and address and send you an information packet in the mail.  During peak months the grounds fee is $2500 plus a $300 refundable clean-up fee.  Sunday's are $2,000 plus the $300 refundable fee.  I don't remember the prices for out of season rental. 

The thing to remember about Berkeley is that everything is outside.  There is no indoor reception area so you will have to rent a tent, dance floor, bar, etc.  They also don't do any catering.  It can add up pretty quick.  Also, even though you have rented the space (wether it be the gazebo, the terrace, the ladies winter garden) Berkelety Plantation is still open to visitors during your event.  We didn't have any problem with this.  I know there were tourists around but no one intruded on our ceremony or reception.  I did have one very nice older gentleman ask me if he could take my picture when I came down the stairs in the office :o

I dont know much about pricing at Jasmine Plantation, but my sister-in-law was married there several years ago.  The current owners had just bought the plantation and hers was the first wedding they did.  The pictures were beautiful, I was unable to attend so unfortunately I couldn't see it in person.  I think they have an indoor reception area though.

If you are interested in plantation, there is also Edgewood, just up the road from Berkeley.  They are a B&B and wedding venue.
  • Options
    agladhillagladhill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know you said you didn't want anywhere too touristy, but you can reserve the Freight Shed at Yorktown beach really affordably.  It is a building with a lot of history, plus the views at the beach at sunset are really gorgeous!!!  You can reserve the beach and/or grassy areas for an outdoor ceremony for free through parks and rec of York County.  Plus, if you reserve the Freight Shed April through October, you get use of the tent for free out on the brick plaza.  And unless you reserve at peak beach season time, there generally aren't that many tourists around.  Just a thought...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could try the First Lady of Suffolk. You could use their catering or use your own, but you have to pay a kitchen fee. http://thefirstladyofsuffolk.com/rates/
    The rates are listed on the page, but the lowest is $1195 & the highest is $1995.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate all the input, and please keep it coming! I have heard back from Berkley now, and am going to go out there this weekend. I love the freight shed, but was afraid of having it be too public... isnt that a busy area?
  • Options
    malbontrmalbontr member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    It may be a bit too far for you but The Yacht Club at Marina Shores at the North End of Virginia Beach is an outdoor / indoor ceremony and reception venue.  Plus, they have all inclusive packages that cover everything from flowers, cake, food, bartender,  DJ, table, chairs, linens and more for like $8999.

Good luck!

www.theyachtclubatmarinashores.com
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Freight Shed/Riverwalk area can be pretty busy during July - August time frame (peak summer beach time), but if you scheduled something in the other months, it's generally not that busy.  Plus, if you schedule something towards the end of the day, the traffic really dies down.  We scheduled our ceremony for 4:30.  GL! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, the Freight Shed manager told me they could put up partions around the the brick patio/tent area, for a little bit more private feel, so that may be a solution too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    One of my girlfriends go married at the freight shed in October. It was lovely. Sweet Madelines of Gloucester/Williamsburg did the catering. Food was great. She got married at Abington Ep. in Gloucester. Her dad was thrilled the wedding for about 100ppl was in the 5-6 thousand range.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards