Plus-Sized

Date Drama!

The one thing my FI and I have been set on from the beginning was the venue, and we recently decided when we actually want to tie the knot, summer of 2013. (we had thought winter before, but changed our minds because I really wanted it outside, and realized that I can't do that to my guests in winter.)  I thought we had plenty of time, but I called the venue ASAP anyway, only to find out that they had only two friday night dates open.  One is the last day of instruction for two of my Bridesmaids.  The other is friday of their Finals week. 

They swear I should just go with the the finals week Friday, and that they will be able to move any finals they have on that day if they talk to the teachers in advance. Have any of you heard of such a thing? should I go ahead and book that date, or should I just plan my wedding for winter instead? (i'm a student at a different school, as are most of my friends, so our time options are summer and winter)

Re: Date Drama!

• Grits8812Grits8812 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In high school I know I talked to my teachers and always told them I would have plans, and had to take my finals early.  I know high school is different than college, but I'm sure it is kind of similar.  

Are you against having it on a weekend day instead of Friday?

• edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_date-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:f0f416a0-7886-4b41-a66d-08551e3bdcc3Post:746e0780-0b14-4ae3-b669-c92fcdd3b09c">Re: Date Drama!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In high school I know I talked to my teachers and always told them I would have plans, and had to take my finals early.  I know high school is different than college, but I'm sure it is kind of similar.   Are you against having it on a weekend day instead of Friday?
    Posted by Grits8812[/QUOTE]
    I'm not against it, but the venue has no weekend days free in the summer. I had no idea they would be so booked a year and a half in advance!
  • Wow.  Yeah that is pretty insane that they booked that fast.  What month are you wanting?  Could you do it in late spring, maybe while everyone is on spring break?  Or in the early fall?
  • Unfortunately, we all have spring break at different times, and no time off in the fall.  (I'm getting married in my home town, but i go to school and live in another county.) 

I was thinking of just having it in July, It will be hot, but it might be my best bet.  It's all quite discouraging, the first thing I'm actually trying to 'plan' instead of just visualize, and I'm totally failing at it. 
  • Don't be hard on yourself over it.  It took me since August to even find a place in my price range to have my wedding and reception.  It turns out that place is the most laid back, casual, unthought of place.   My wedding will be in July, so hopefully the weather works out in both of our favors.  If that is the month that works, that is pretty much what it might have to be. 

Just remember, even if it is not the month you wanted it, or where you wanted it, it is your wedding day and it will be special.  You are marrying your best friend, after all!
  • Very true, thanks for reminding me :)

I think we may just go with July, and make pretty fans for the guests as favors or something.  I checked and the average temp for our venue on the date we want is 93%.  I feel like as a guest I could handle that for 1/2 an hour before going inside.  And they are so booked up, I can't imagine I'm the only one! haha. 
  • Fans would be a great idea.  And a half hour isn't bad, really.  Maybe put out a fancy bucket with ice and bottles of water in it for anyone who will get thirsty, and for whiney kids or elders.  

Did you get that temp off the farmers alminac?  That is what I used when I was planning my wedding for October.  It helped a lot actually.  It obviously doesn't predict the forecast for your one day, but gives you a good idea of how it is.
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_date-drama?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:f0f416a0-7886-4b41-a66d-08551e3bdcc3Post:fbc098f3-a4f2-4d7c-90c5-8781b7d8ad89">Re: Date Drama!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fans would be a great idea.  And a half hour isn't bad, really.  Maybe put out a fancy bucket with ice and bottles of water in it for anyone who will get thirsty, and for whiney kids or elders.   Did you get that temp off the farmers alminac?  That is what I used when I was planning my wedding for October.  It helped a lot actually.  It obviously doesn't predict the forecast for your one day, but gives you a good idea of how it is.
    Posted by Grits8812[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of offering water, I think that's a really good idea.  Maybe I could have a cold bottle sitting on each seat.  I got it from "Weather Underground" I actually just checked the 'by the hour' temperatures for the time I want for the last ten years, and it ranges from low to mid 80's.  Not too bad at all.  I like that better than praying that my sisters can move a final. 

Nothing like taking a few deep breaths and saying "everything will be fine"
  • Having them on the chairs is an excellent idea.  Just have someone take them out there right before guests start showing up.  Or on a table, so they can take it if they want.  Either way they will be thankful for the gesture.  And you are right, 80 isn't really that bad for July.  It is deffinatly better than hopeing that your sisters can work something out with their professors.  

Everything will be alright.  Even if something doesn't go as planned, it will work out.  Don't fret the small stuff.
  • In college I had to have surgery during finals and all of my professors let me take the finals early. The biggest hassle I got was one professor made me sign a document saying I would not discuss the contents of the final with my classmates.
  • I'm in graduate school, and honestly, I've never had a final on a Friday (and for the people that I know who have, their finals were always in the morning or in the early afternoon of that Friday). It was never at a time like Friday at 5:00 PM. So if you had your heart set on a specific Friday then I'm sure it would work out. 

Also most professors are understanding of significant events, and as long as your sisters explain weeks in advance what is happening, then they can probably make alternate arrangements.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ay my college, Friday of finals week was quite.  I think I was usually home by Thursday afternoon.  If your bridesmaids think they could get the test moved, if they even ended up having one that day, I would go for it.

This box shipped toys? No this box is toy! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think we're going to go for a date in July and hope that it isn't too hot.  I don't want to risk one of them having some 'chip on their shoulder' professor who won't let them take it earlier.  It just seems like a big risk, the bridesmaids in question are my sister and my grew up together almost sister, so I feel like I would regret it my whole life if one of them couldn't make it.  Thanks for all the encouraging words! 
  • I would not put my friends in that position - their professor is well within the rights to enforce the test date and they could get a zero for a grade. What about a weekend in late spring, like May?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards