September 2013 Weddings
Options

Something Old, Something New...

Does anyone else plan on following this tradition? I think it's kind of fun...

My last visit home my grandma showed me a gold locket that my Great-Grandpa gave my Great Grandma on their wedding day in 1938.  It has their wedding pictures inside.  I think I will wear that or put it with my bouquet as my "something old". (I should have taken a picture!) My great aunt also wore it to her wedding in 1966. 

My mom has a big sapphire ring, so that will be my "something borrowed and something blue".  And my something new, well, that will be my dress! Or maybe I'll buy new earrings :)

Re: Something Old, Something New...

• Options
    My shoes are blue.  My earrings are new.  My grandmother is letting me "borrow" her garter from when she got married.  And that's old too.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I will be wrapping my late moms engagement ring and lace from her dress around my bouquet  and then moving her ring to my right hand after the ceremony for my something old and that is as far as I've gotten!  Something new maybe my new jewerly?

Those are both awesome ideas, girls!  I'm glad we are all incorporating family into this!

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's a nice way to pay tribute to family! 
  • Options
    Well my grand mother passed away almost 2 years ago now and I found a cross in one of her jewelry cases when we were going through all of her stuff and I had a friend make it into an anklet which has blue stones so its my something old and new!  Also one of my bridesmaids has let me borrow her headpiece whish has Swarovski crystals and pearls in it so pretty. also I was given a veil which surprisingly matches my dress to the T!!!
  • Options
    I don't have all mine planned yet but so far my something new is my dress, something blue will be my slip ( Im going to dye it ). I dont have my other two yet.
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~
    This is my inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The actual one I made
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My dress, earrings, shoes... will be new. My blue will probably be my garter (I found a great University of Michigan one; our "motto" is Go Blue). My old/borrowed is still TBD. My mom gave me her wedding dress to use however I want, but I don't know if I can cut it up and make it into something else, even though she has told me she wants me to. 
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I definately want to keep this tradition but I havent figured it all out yet:
    Old: Not sure yet
    New: well the dress of course and shoes and jewerly so I can take my pick on this one
    Borrowed: Ring from my twin sister
    Blue: Garter
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_something-old-something-new?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:c6855659-fe56-4d09-86c4-1b3e9d06cda5Post:3a0e7b81-19e6-4ea0-bbf2-0eb276e7ab1f">Re: Something Old, Something New...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I definately want to keep this tradition but I havent figured it all out yet: Old: Not sure yet New: well the dress of course and shoes and jewerly so I can take my pick on this one Borrowed: Ring from my twin sister Blue: Garter
    Posted by KSerafin17[/QUOTE]

Aw that is awesome...I always wanted a twin.  Identical?

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Old: My maternal grandma recently gave me her wedding rings and I plan on attaching them to my bouquet along with a locket with my maternal grandpa's and my mom's pictures as I know I will want them there with me. 

New: My gorgeous wedding dress

Borrowed: My future stepmom-in-law recently gave me earrings to match the necklace I have.  I'm going to use this as my borrowed unless someone else offers something up. 

Blue: I'm wearing blue Toms shoes under my dress.  I want to be comfortable! 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Something old- I have my granmother and great grandmothers wedding rings that were given to me when she died. Im going to tie them to my bouquet

Something new- just like everyone else, dress,  shoes, jewelery, veil, etc.

Something borrowed- I am going to ask my mom to let me borrow her wedding ring during the ceremony so I can tie it onto my bouquet with the others.  My plan is to have three generations of wedding rings tied to my bouquet, mom, grandmother, and great grandmother

Something blue- I think my seamstress uses blue thread to sew in the bustle. 
  • Options
    Old: I have Virgin Mary and St. Joseph pendant things that were my grandma's (she passed away when I was like 10) and I was either going to attach them to the bouquet or keep them in my pocket.  I thought it would be nice to have something from my dad's mom there since there will be no one from his side of the family at the wedding. 

New: My dress, shoes, etc.

Borrowed: Not sure... 

Blue:  My FI went to UNC and is a HUGE fan so I am going to get a Carolina Blue tarheel garter as a surprise to him! 
    ***January Siggy Challenge... Bouquet Inspiration***

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Haven't put much thought into it yet.
    Old: I want to see if my mom will let me take the lace off her dress to wrap the bouquet with.
    New: Dress, shoes, jeweelry, etc.
    Borrowed: ??? I'm sure I'll get an offer!
    Blue: Most likely undies and garter
    Sept. 13 March Siggy Challenge: hair inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_something-old-something-new?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:c6855659-fe56-4d09-86c4-1b3e9d06cda5Post:c5696534-9381-419b-af4b-7720a23567a1">Re: Something Old, Something New...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Old: My maternal grandma recently gave me her wedding rings and I plan on attaching them to my bouquet along with a locket with my maternal grandpa's and my mom's pictures as I know I will want them there with me.  New: My gorgeous wedding dress Borrowed: My future stepmom-in-law recently gave me earrings to match the necklace I have.  I'm going to use this as my borrowed unless someone else offers something up.  Blue: I'm wearing blue Toms shoes under my dress.  I want to be comfortable! 
    Posted by GoofyAssChick[/QUOTE]

I SO want to wear Toms! Maybe the cream colored crochet ones.  They are so comfy and fun :) Yay!
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Something Old, Something New...:[QUOTE]I definately want to keep this tradition but I havent figured it all out yet:Old: Not sure yetNew: well the dress of course and shoes and jewerly so I can take my pick on this oneBorrowed: Ring from my twin sisterBlue: Garter Posted by
    KSerafin17[/QUOTE]

I'm a twin too!!! fraternal!. Me and my twin live on separate coasts and each year we trade eachother my grandmothers blue eyeball necklace to ward of the evil eye, gotta love Italian superstitions! for her wedding band. I'll probably use the necklace for both my blue and my borrowed :
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

New will be my dress, shoes, veil, etc.
    Blue will either be my undies or I'll have the seamstress sew a blue ribbon into the underside of the dress.

My mom passed away when I was 12 and I was able to save her wedding dress. I am going to have a piece sewn into the inside of my dress over my heart, similar to what Kim Kardashian did with one of her dad's old shirts. That's my something old. Some of my family members have told me that this could be my something borrowed too, what do you think? Can it count as both, since I can't technically ever give it back. Or should I find something else borrowed to use?

[url=http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.theknot.com/tickers/tt164372.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_something-old-something-new?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:c6855659-fe56-4d09-86c4-1b3e9d06cda5Post:2b90dd92-a884-41e8-a911-ffef4698568f">Re: Something Old, Something New...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Something Old, Something New... : I SO want to wear Toms! Maybe the cream colored crochet ones.  They are so comfy and fun :) Yay!
    Posted by semi891[/QUOTE]

Those are the shoes I'm wearing! You're right. They are super comfy and cute. Definitely go for it if you can. I won't have to worry about sore feet on my wedding day. Thank goodness.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards