January 2013 Weddings

January 26, 2013

It is official - FH and I are part of the Jan. 2013 club ;) We are both very excited about having a winter wedding, but it seems a lot of family members are concerned about the winter weather... Any one else getting some slack (specifically us Northeast brides) about having a January wedding?
Anniversary

Re: January 26, 2013

• I'm in Michigan and my family has been nice to us about having it in January, they know we saved a lot with an off-season wedding.

I've just took precautions if the weather is bad, suggesting out of town guests come in the night before instead of the day-of just in case and all my vendors are from the immediate area!!  My cake bakery and DJ are within walking distance to the hall, so I will go get them and drag their behinds to my wedding if need be! :D
  • I agree with PP. Just make sure you have a back up plan. I live somewhere where it could either be sunny and 70 degrees or -10 and blizzarding (yes, I just used it as a verb). 

Be specific with your vendors, be courteous of your guests. Talk to your venue, and see if they'll clear the parking lot in event of snow, or if you will need to handle it. (Honestly, for liability sake, I'd think the venue would handle this). There are just a couple more/different things you'll need to have a back-up plan for with a winter wedding. 

It's the same as having a spring wedding here, although people are a lot less gripey about weddings during tornado season than during snow season for whatever reason. Honestly, the former scares me a lot more than the latter. 
  • I just joined the Jan 26 club as well!  Officially, this week!

There was some hesitation from immediate family members about the month -- but my fiance is Australian and we both have much younger siblings who are still in college.  The ONLY month in the year when both of our siblings had off is January.  So January it is.  For a 90% OOT guest list and people flying from Australia, all over the US, and all over the world, it's a little nervewracking.  But there's nothing else to do about it.  Fingers crossed!

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Im having the opposite problem being Florida. Everyone wants to come to my wedding to escape winter! My guest list is piling up with OOTners!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh, yes, definitely! My response was pretty much that I hate the heat and humidity and I am NOT getting married in it. Lol, if it snows, they can stay home if they want.
  • Mine is also January 26th, we are in Texas so we don't have to worry about snow, only the rain.
  • I'm getting married on January 13, 2013: a Sunday in New England winter? Double-whammy! You'd better believe I'm getting slack from a bunch of people. But the way I look at it, if one of my friends or family members was getting married and it meant a lot to me to be there, I'd be there. I don't have a ton of out of town guests, and Erik and I really love winter. I think everything will be fine, and the people who really care won't care if it ends up snowing. Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm 1/25/13 in CT.  I've gotten a few comments from "concerned" people about the weather, but I'm honestly not worried about it.  It's New England, people know how to drive in the snow, and if they don't make it, they don't make it.  We don't have a ton of out of towners, so I'm not really worried about flights or anything either.  Most of the out of towners are my bridesmaids who will be getting into town days in advance anyways.  So even if there's a little bit of weather earlier in the week, they'll still have plenty of time to get here.  Honestly, my bigger concern is snow the next day not letting us leave for our honeymoon!
  • I totally understand - we are getting married 1/12/13 in Minnesota. When we tell most people the date, they ask us if we are having a destination wedding, haha. Our parents were less than thrilled, and we've gotten a few comments about the weather as well. But I just love the idea of a winter wedding and am willing to risk the weather - just hoping there isnt an all out blizzard!

Congrats and happy planning :)
  • NY in January could have a lot of snow, but most of our OOT guests are from Maine or Montana.  If they can't drive in the snow, there's a serious problem.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • My wedding is also January 26 2013. I am from NYC so I understand your anxiety. You can't worry about it! Have fun! Congratulations! Anna
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards