Massachusetts-Boston

Where do you start?!

My fiance and I are getting married Sept. 28, 2013 at Danversport Yacht Club.  Besides the venue and the wedding party we have nothing figured out.  Everytime we try to really work on the guest list (we have names down and a few addresses, but it needs some major edits) we both give up.

I just don't know where to start with the planning and what I should even be thinking about.  Does anyone have any suggestions/advice?  Oh! The most important thing to know is that we currently live in Seattle (moved for work), so we're planning this from just about as far in the Continental United States as you can get!

Really, ANY advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Where do you start?!

• Congratulations!  The venue is the first check!  Depending on if you need to cut your guestlist for size or not, you can put it off for a little bit but you should be continuing to work on it.  Next is starting to research vendors.  Are you planning any trips to the East Coast or do you plan to do everything via phone and email?  You can cram a lot of meetings into one wedding filled weekend if you do make the trip.  I planned my wedding 2 1/2 hours away (I know, not the same) but after initial meetings everything else was done via email. Start researching florists, DJs, photographers, cake, hair/makeup, transportation, etc.  I would say florists, DJs, and photographers are most important because the "good" ones tend to book faster.

Just a side note, I LOVED my photographer:
    Melissa DeSchamp http://www.melissadeschamp.com/
    Anniversary
  • I'm in a similar boat - We live in California and our wedding is in Brookline, Mass... October 2013 so right near yours! 

Venue was the first thing for us after we got a guest number estimate, which we signed on to in May. I then researched bands and photographers online from here in Cali, and ended up signing contracts with my first choice band and photog just recently (again, all done in Cali, just had to e-mail the signed contracts!) I also found a hair/makeup place (Special Event Beauty) that I'm interested in, and they have agreed to hold my wedding date for me until I'm ready to have a trial.

Try to plan visits/consultations all at the same time during your trips out to Boston. My next trip out is in September and I'm fitting in an engagement shoot, meeting with the church, meeting with a florist that was recommended to me, meeting with our venue to go over more details, and wedding dress shopping! 

I suspect my next few visits out will mainly be for dress fittings as I'd like to do the fittings in Mass. I'll try to arrange any other meetings I need to do (I suspect these will mostly be with my venue + hair/makeup trials) around my fittings to minimize trips.

Hope that helps!
  • Don't forget to set your budget. That and the guest list will dictate a lot of your planning process.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • First of all Congratulations!  As a husband, and wedding minister, I know first-hand the stress that can come along with the planning phase.  If money is not a big concern many find wedding planners greatly reduce the stress involved, and in fact can make it more fun, that isn't always a luxuory that most couples can afford though.  

As mentioned above research the vendors the best you can from Seattle.  Take your time make a list of everything you are going to need, and just cover them one at a time.  

I myself would offer my services if your still looking for an officiant, and could recommned an incredibly talented photographer, who did my own wedding, and she has a wonderful website and facebook page filled with her work.

• There is a checklist thing on the knot website here. Set your budget and figure out how much you want to spend towards food. That will dictate how big your wedding can be. Then you will know how much you can spend on flowers, pictures and music. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards