Massachusetts-Boston

Photographers/DJs Help

We've finally set a date and booked our venue...April 30, 2011 at the Royal Sonesta in Cambridge! Yay! Now we're on to the next steps, photogs and DJs. Can you recommend yours and also, what questions should we be asking?

Re: Photographers/DJs Help

• edited December 2011
    we used beat train productions as our DJ and they were incredible... highly recommend if you are looking for a night club type of sound!

for a photographer we used john loconte from www.johnlophoto.com and I cannot recommend him enough... amazing! and has very good pricing

you will get ton of suggestions! congrats on setting a date and GL :)
  • lundarlundar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love my photog. Leah Haydock. She catches the in the moment kind of pics and isn't super posey (FI hates posing). My band/dj is up in New York, The Sundowners and they are great. I know they have down stuff up here.
  • edited December 2011
    Reviews in bio of who we used

Photographer - Scott Metzger (link to slideshow he made in siggy and link to our album proof by my review)

DJ - Aaron Topfer

Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • crazybrittnicrazybrittni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funny enough I'm using the exact same vendors that carolbridebabe used: Beat Train and John LoConte. I really enjoyed meeting with both and can't wait for my wedding.
    November 10 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fictional Couple
    My Planning Bio Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 87 Invited image 65 Attending image 18 Declined image 4 Unknown
    RSVP Date: October 12th
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Curtis Knight Entertainment (Mark Cherone) for the DJ.  They have been great to work with so far!!

Our photographer is David Bibeault out of Rhode Island.  He is really amazing, but does charge a small travel fee depending on where the wedding is.
    10.10.10 Bride! Our Bio Updated 9/26
    image 129 Are ready to party! image 29 Party Poopers!
  • edited December 2011
    OOO! I cannot say enough about our photographer.. and we haven't even gotten married yet. We are using Joshua Behan out of Rhode Island. He is INCREDIBLE! His photos are GORGEOUS- journalistic, artistic and insightful.... and he as a person is AMAZING. He is just the nicest, coolest guy. And his pricing is better than some of the Boston photographers. He travels with no cost to you and his packages all include a love shoot and UNLIMITED shooting the day off. That means you can have him for as many hours as you want without paying more!!!!!!!

You can see his amazing work  at http://joshuabehanblog.com/

or

http://www.joshuabehan.com/

I would be happy to tell u more if you want.. just PM me.

Our Dj is Sean from Murray Hill Entertainment... :)

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    Everybody says the same stuff about their photographer: but basically, it's all about the style you're looking for. If you like their portfolio (which, keep in mind, is the BEST they have to offer) and their pricing is within your budget, meet them and possibly book an engagement session to really find out what they're like when they're working with you.
    Important questions to ask: how many hours of coverage? is there an extra charge for additional coverage? Also, ask about retouching. My friend got married last June and though her photographer gave her lots of images they were hardly touched up at all and weren't like those advertised on his website.
    Also, little things like getting dressed in front of a male photographer may be awkward.
    As for the DJ, do you want someone who will be a true master of ceremonies or just someone to play some good tunes and lead group dances? I don't think the dj is as an important decision as the photographer because he won't be spending such close and intimate time with you all day.

We are going with Portrait New England photography and Sound Force Unlimited.
  • HEATHERG19HEATHERG19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love My Photographer: Jennifer Vincente out of Plymouth! Shes great...she did my friends wedding and is doing mine. Here is here website http://www.jennivphotography.com/

Hope this helps!

For DJ I used EventConnections in Randolph :)
  • HEATHERG19HEATHERG19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to add what I asked:

I met with like 5 photographers because pictures are VERY important to me :)

I wanted to make sure I had atleast 8 hours of coverage and 2 photographers. I think having 2 photographers is so important because it gives one photographer the opportunity to capture something when the other one cant.

Also see who has the best deal. You also want to have a great connection with your photographer. Look at there websites and photos to see some of there work!

Hope this helps
  • BostonGirl82BostonGirl82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Photography was very important to us. We met with over 8 photographers and ended up with Channing Johnson. We are not getting married until October, so I can't speak for his final project. However, his portfolio, website, and blog are very impressive and I am so excited to have him as a vendor. He is a photojournalist and does side work for the Wall Street Journal. Here is his website: http://www.channingjohnson.com/ and blog: http://www.channingjohnsonblog.com/

We went with C-Zone for a DJ and are using Max Baun. The owner Greg Cappozzi was taken for our wedding, but Max seems non-cheesy and very professional . C-Zone has been great to work with- very organized.

Good luck on your search!
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Nuimage. Decided on them because everyone we know used them and loved! I know someone mentioned Greg Capozzi from C-Zone and I've also heard great things about him from people in the business. Photographer is David Bibeault from RI. So far we LOVE him! We already did our engagement photos and they came out great but even more importantly we love his personality. That was important to us if we were going to be dealling with him all day. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    DJ: Aaron Topfer
    Photographer: Erik Waddell, from A Thousand Moments

Both did a great job!
  • edited December 2011
    DJ: Bruce Abbott Music - He was absolutely fantastic! He DJs but he also plays the saxophone. He also has an assistant who sings as well. Very affordable as well

Photographer: John Lo Photo - I cannot say enough good things about him. Super nice guy, great prices, and amazingly talented.
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Ari from Beat Train Productions and Michelle Turner Photography (Maine). I picked Beat Train after hearing a lot of good feedback on these boards and Michelle I picked from looking at her portofolio and hearing feedback from another photographer (Agnieszka Wormus) I was interested in booking who is taking some time off for her first pregnancy.
    Both were in Little Black Book too.
    http://www.michelleturner.com
    http://beattrainproductions.com/

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Photography was my main priority - we are using Kjeldm Photography (http://kjeldm.com/weddings/index.html) and cannot say enough about them (he shoots with his wife). They are based out of Scituate. We aren't using a DJ, but if you're thinking about a band - definitely check out Eye2Eye from Wilson Stevens Productions! Good luck!
  • Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had Melissa Robotti for photography and John Cristoferi for DJ. Both were amazing to work with and we had so many comments from guests about how great the pictures and music were. Both were very "non-invasive" and made our wedding day absolutely wonderful and easy. We had no worries. 
  • edited December 2011
    We just signed with a DJ yesterday! We're having Mike Rice DJ who seems great! He's not with any big company so he can charge almost half the price of some of these bigger companies and really just has a heart for doing what it takes to make it your special day. He doesn't advertise his company at the wedding (I hear some of the other bigger companies do) and doesn't add any other costs along the way- For example, he has some lights he can just bring along at no extra cost! Be aware, some of the other companies will charge you extra for lights!  Private message me if you want more information!
  • caroline8876caroline8876 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Marina Sun from A Lifefusion Photography for ours and then went through BE Wedding Entertainment to find our DJ (DJ Shyne).

BE Wed Ent has free showcases you can attend to get a feel for the personalities of each DJ so you're not wondering how they'll sound on your wedding day.   Make sure they aren't cheesy and such.   I didn't want Macarena and stuff like that and that typical 'dj' voice.
  • jessiebirdejessiebirde member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HI there

I used Metzger Studios and Scott did an amazing job!! We absolutely loved him. IF you want check out our slideshow from our recent wedding. We got married May 2.

http://www.metzgerstudios.com/slideshows/ericjessica/

We used Beat Train Productions for our DJ. Ari was great, super professional and very easy to work with. We wanted more of a rock and roll feel to our wedding and he was right on target.

Hope this helps!

jess
  • jnu1117jnu1117 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used DJ by Jake. He did a really good job.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards