Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement Party

My parents are hosting an engagement party for us in mid-May, and my mom was wondering if she needed to provide any entertainment and what goes on at an engagement party.  I've only been to one engagement party since it was not common when all my cousins and older brother got married.  I described what went on at the one engagement party I went to, but I'm hoping some of you may be able to better describe what goes on at an engagement party and if there needs to be any entertainment.  The party is going to be at my parents house and so far all they decided was to play music over the stereo.  Please what went happened at your engagement party.

Thanks!

Re: Engagement Party

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_engagement-party-29?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:ee6ef990-b867-4252-a2ef-f295b46915daPost:da260af1-1d0e-4a70-9025-dfe8378404c5">Engagement Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents are hosting an engagement party for us in mid-May, and my mom was wondering if she needed to provide any entertainment and what goes on at an engagement party.  <strong>I've only been to one engagement party since it was not common when all my cousins and older brother got married.</strong>  I described what went on at the one engagement party I went to, but I'm hoping some of you may be able to better describe what goes on at an engagement party and if there needs to be any entertainment.  The party is going to be at my parents house and so far all they decided was to play music over the stereo.  Please what went happened at your engagement party. Thanks!
    Posted by audubonbride2013[/QUOTE]

It still isn't all that common.  I've only been to one.  There was a DJ.  We pretty much showed up, dropped off the gift, ate, and proceeded to get drunk at the bar in order to fend off boredom.  No one really danced. 

If it's at your parent's house then a stereo should suffice.  The point of the engagement party is for the couple to announce their engagement and so the two families can formally meet. 
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • It's not common at all.  I've been to 10 weddings in 2 years and only 1 e party. People ate and drank and talked. That was about it. No DJ or music.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for the insight.  Sorry for my wording.  I didn't mean for people to fixate over whether an engagement party is common or not.  My parents just thought it would be good since our families don't really know each other (live in different states), we have a long engagement, and we haven't really had a chance to celebrate our engagement due to health issues in the family.
  • What about maybe having an assortment of board games?  If it's mostly family, you might have a good time playing some board games after dinner. My family loves to do this!
    Anniversary BFP: 3/5/13 EDD: 11/14/13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Traditionally, in FI's family, there is a trio or mariachi. However, it is a cultural thing. Also the engagement "party' happens closer to the wedding and is usually planned by the FI. It's pretty cool. Some I have been to, the bride hides in the house until the trio and Fi come to beckon her outside. Others, the bride and groom just mingle and have a good time and then get serenated by the trio/mariachi.  Looking forward to that. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • My aunt decided she wanted to throw us one.  I think it's just going to be food, mingling, talking, and basically letting the families meet.  There's not really a need for a dj, since a radio or stereo should be enough music.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • My brother and sister-in-law threw one for us.  Mine was mostly family with a few close friends.  We both come from large families so it gave people a chance to start meeting everyone.  We didn't really have entertainment.  I suppose the stereo was on???   It turned out that there was some golf tournament on. Many of my relatives as well as his were in to it, so that was on tv and gave people something to talk about.  My brother's house is laid out so that could be on without taking over the party so it was nice.  We both come from families who typically don't show up empty-handed so there was a bunch of food and drinks.  It was a nice time for us and I hope everyone there.  

The only part that made me a little uncomfortable was that many people brought generous gifts.  Both sides are insisting on throwing showers for us, so I feel kinda greedy.  I tried to get out of the shower, but that isn't happening.  
  • FI's parents are throwing us an engagement party in June because they want to, especially that most of their family is here in California and our wedding will be in New Jersey where my family is from.  I know that they are having food catered and there will be alcohol.  My mom is flying out for it which is nice because she's only met his parents once before.  And in both of our families, as long as there is alcohol available they will make it a party haha.  I think they will probably play music for the background but mostly just eating, drinking, meeting people and having a good time.  It will be nice since I'm sure some of the people from California we invite will not be able to make the trip to NJ next year.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards