Texas-Houston
Options

Babysitters during wedding weekend

Hello Houston Knotties!
We are having a destination wedding and I am at a bit of a loss as to what I do about babysitters.  Here is the issue.  I have zero children on my side of the family.  My finance has 9 neices and nephews.  We have several guests that will be bringing very young children.  I don't mind having the kids at certain events (welcome party), but I would really prefer to have an adult only reception.  Is it my responsibility, as the bride, to provide babysitters for all the kids.  Or, is it the families of the children's responsibility?  Or, is it the groom's family's responsibility because the kids are all on his side of the family.  Its not that I don't like the kids, its just that there are so many of them and things get so chaotic when they are all around and they tend to dictate all the attention.  Am I off base in wanting them off side during the wedding?

Help!  Thanks!

Re: Babysitters during wedding weekend

• Options
    mlewis85mlewis85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's wrong to want an adult only reception but I think it 's your responsibility to provide a babysitter.  Your guests are already travelling out of town to be at your celebration so any special accomodations should be done by you. 

Forewarning though -- some parents are very picky about who watches their kids.  Many won't be fond of leaving their kids with a stranger.  If your reception has the space I would just make a kids area in an adjoining room that's still accesible to the main room.  We'd planned on having couches, a TV, a playstation, and some coloring books with crayons/markers.  A lot of places are used to these requests so they can provide a lot of that. 

But if that's not possible I think it's best you just suck it up and have kids at the reception.
  • Options
    sweet__peasweet__pea member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are entitled to have an adult wedding if you like.  In your invitation packet, please be sure to specify that it will be an adult reception only and that a qualified babysitter will be available for the wedding cerermony & reception.  So as long as you provide your guest PLENTY of notice, they can decide if this is a trip they want to make or not.

Don't let the pressures of family get to you.  It is yours and your fiance's wedding, so do what you like and let your guests make the decision if they will bring their kids or not. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards