Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographer terms

We are about ready to sign with a photographer, but upon reading the fine print, something in their contract really bothers me. And that is that the contract states that all amounts paid and non-refundable and even non-transferable to another date.

I know the chance is slight, but in case of a family emergency or natural disaster or something, that's an awful lot of money to just throw away. All the other vendors we've dealt with so far (oficiant, DJ) have said that in the event of a cancellation, the monies paid can be used towards another event of equal or greater value withing a certain time frame.

Heaven forbid something should happen, it seems really cruel to take payment and then perform no service. This combined with the fact that they want payment in full several weeks before (not day of or anything) makes me uncomfortable.

My question is... Are all photographers like this?? Or if I asked him might they be able to relax the rules to get us to sign?

- Fred

Re: Photographer terms

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There's nothing wrong, legally, with the contract terms.  I have a few with similar language, though if something happened and I spoke with the vendor, he/she might be accommodating.

Talk to your photographer and tell him what you feel; if it doesn't seem like, heaven forbid, something does happen and you're out of money, then perhaps you should look for another photographer.

Sucks but it is a business for these guys and many are indeed inflexible.  GL.
  • Options
    Alex3003Alex3003 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I know of a photographer who will reschedule your wedding date in the event of disaster/emergency at no charge, you just have to work with her schedule. Plus they have great deals! Pricing starts around $1000.
     Chloe Pix Photography

good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not all photographers are like that. I would definitely ask him what his policy is if you need to cancel or reschedule due to circumstances beyond your control.

But keep in mind that even though it would be an awful situation for the bride to be in the photographer is running a business and that's a big risk for them to lose revenue that they had planned on getting. 

Also, you might want to look into wedding insurance that would cover situations like this should they occur.
  • Options
    Savannah6783Savannah6783 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely speak this over before signing your contract. I changed my date 3 times after placing the deposit with our photographer and then even switched it from our planned FL wedding to a Vegas wedding, I just chose a date that he was available.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards