Outdoor Weddings

backup plan?

Question for all of you outdoor brides, do you all have backup plans incase the weather is not ideal? We are having an October barn wedding in Pennsylvania, with the ceremony being held outside under a willow tree. I'm not sure what the best thing to do is:

1. We could rent a tent, which seems like the least hassle, although if it is nice outside I know I wont want to use it. That means paying a huge sum of money (at least 1300$) to get a tent big enough to seat 200, only to let it sit there if the sun is shining.

2. We could have a church on stand-by. We would be willing to pay them regarless of use, as a $200 fee is a lot less ridiculous if out weather holds up. This could also get tricky in the days before the wedding trying to inform 200 people that the venue has changed and they need to go to the church, not the barn.

3. We could do nothing, and if the day comes and the weather is bad, we move the ceremony inside of the barn. The seating is less than optimal for this as its sort of an "L" shaped area and the people around the corner wouldnt be able to see anything. There also isn't really a good area to say "i do" there other than in front of the restrooms? I'd like to avoid this option I think, althought it seems the most cost effective and will cause the fewest communication issues?

4. We could do nothing, get married outside regardless of weather, and if it rains we can talk for years to come about our first kiss in the rain. This seems romantic in my head, and I dont think that I would mind it, but the 200 soggy guests might be less than happy.

What are you planning on doing? What seems like the best decision in your experience?

Re: backup plan?

• I am having an outside wedding as well in November and have been tossing around the same ideas....I'm thinking a tent on standby because I will want my food under a cover anyways and I'm just staying positive and keep telling myself "It will not rain" and if it does...oh well at least pplmwont forget it! Lol good luck!
  • NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2013
    You can put your rain plan, the church, on your reception card or enclosure card, with your website. You may have to pay the tent rental or reservation fee, but not the set up fee. Check with your rental company. You could have a screen in front of the bathrooms. I'd be disappointed not to see the service, but I'd be really PO'd if I couldn't hear it. Your guests are going to see the WP all night long anyway.
  • Option 4 isn't an option. It's really rude to make your guests sit outside in the rain (or extreme heat or cold) to watch you get married.  

Our plan was to move the ceremony indoors to the reception site if it rained.  The setup wouldn't have been ideal, but it was do-able.

As far as having a church on standby, is this a church that you belong to?  Or just a random church?  Will it work for your officiant?    This wasn't an option for us since neither of us belong to a church and our officiant wasn't associated with one either.   But it could be your best option.  Just make sure you have a plan for implementing the back-up.  What if the rain is on-and-off and people are confused about where to go?  Are most people staying at the same hotel, and you could post some kind of notice?  Are you going to post a sign on the door of the barn in case people go to the wrong place?  Are the two close together?  
    DSC_9275
  • Another thought:  where are the bathrooms located for your guests?  If it is pouring rain, do they have to leave the barn or tent and walk in the rain to the restrooms, or are they in the barn?
  • We're doing a barn reception with the ceremony under a big oak tree. Our rain plan is to just do the ceremony in the barn, but we have plenty of room and no set up issues. If I was worried about fitting people in the barn I would probably just bite the bullet and have a tent on standby.
  • edited February 2013
    I will be honest I have not thought of a backup plan. I am  going to start thinking about it now though. I might look into tents now and see just how much it will cost. I would say go with the barn idea, seems the most convient and will save you money. Good luck  with your wedding. 
  • I have thought about it... I considered moving it to the next day because it will be so small. or possibly the tent idea. I just hate the idea of it not being perfect. LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards