Getting in Shape

Vent: Gym Etiquette

edit: Maybe morons was a little rough (original title.)  I was just very angryface.

Anywho back to the orginial post-
I just need to vent.  I just got back from the gym, where this couple was working out.  No problem.  
I moved some of the weights I was using (he was using much heavier sets) over to a corner away from the weights since he seemed to be using the whole area.  When he finished and headed for cardio next to his gf/wife/whatever, I moved into the weight area space.  No problem.
I literally step over the bench  (1.5 ft away?) to check what the next exercise is, and his dumb gf just comes right over, grabs the weights I've been using for every set, and starts her workout (taking up the ENTIRE floor space there.)  Seriously, no 'are you done with this?' or 'mind if I do a few quick sets?'  Jerkface.

So, then, of course, I judge her.  I try not to, because you never know if someone is just starting out with the whole 'gym thing' or is recovering from an injury.  Thankfully, she was done in a pretty short time, but still. RARRR.

Okay, thanks for the vent ladies :)

Anniversary

Re: Vent: Gym Etiquette

• That is truly aggravating. You know what drives me crazy? When people try to talk to you when you are working out.

I lift pretty regularly and had some guy come over and started to talk to me. I had my ear phones in and could not hear a word I was saying. I told him I would be done in a minute I only had one more set. He continued talking to me. After I finally got annoyed I took my ear phones out and he was asking what I was doing after the gym and commenting on my tattoos. Really dude?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • daffy - didn't you know the gym is the new coffeehouse? jeez! 
    I hope you at least came back to him with a good answer as to your plans :)
    Anniversary
  • I work out in my apartment gym and lately someone has been bringing their 4 year old with them!!! The 4 year old climbs on the equipment and tumbles in the middle of the small gym while the mom just keeps running!! Talk about rarrrr!
    Visit The Knot! "Oh, thinkin' about all our younger years There was only you and me We were young and wild and free Now nothin' can take you away from me"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vent-gym-etiquette-morons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:bf6dbc62-5b76-4723-8e31-8fbe190e0f66Post:6780d1da-ebfe-4eb6-84e3-c36e44bacde8">Re: Vent: Gym Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]daffy - didn't you know the gym is the new coffeehouse? jeez!  I hope you at least came back to him with a good answer as to your plans :)
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]

I told him I was going to my wife's for dinner and put my ear phones back in. LOL. Long story.

I still cant believe that couple was so rude. That would have completely ticked me off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • haha, daffy, that's a great response.

a_g - is that even allowed?  I sometimes feel bad when I see a kid in there because I'm sure it's the parent's only way to get in a workout, but at least keep the kid under control!  can you say something to management?
    Anniversary
  • That is super aggravating. There is this lady in my bootcamp who annoys the crap out of me. She's older, like 55 maybe. She talks all the damn time. At 530am, there are very few people, if any, that I want to chat with. She's also a complainer which is one of my irrational irritations. Why bother coming if you don't want to do the work? I know it sucks sometimes, but suck it up.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vent-gym-etiquette-morons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:bf6dbc62-5b76-4723-8e31-8fbe190e0f66Post:f5c47a99-d475-483a-82eb-95d4f6ec9f91">Re: Vent: Gym Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work out in my apartment gym and lately someone has been bringing their 4 year old with them!!! The 4 year old climbs on the equipment and tumbles in the middle of the small gym while the mom just keeps running!! Talk about rarrrr!
    Posted by a_griffith84[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>In my old apartment gym, a lady once brought her infant and laid him on the mat - no blanket, didn't wipe it off, nothing.  I was so disgusted (and annoyed I couldn't do my floor work).</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • er-that's DISGUSTING.

zero - that's super annoying, and you're better than I am to put up with it.  hopefully she'll decide to take a few days off sometime soon, for your sake
    Anniversary
  • OMG!!! That is soooo annoying! And rude! I know what you mean though, sometimes you just dont know if the person is new and doesnt know any better.

A few weeks ago when I was at the gym. I always park out on a bench because I typically am using the bench for about 1/2 the sets I do. I go back and forth standing next to the bench or actually using it. So for one of my sets I was standing and this woman comes over - covered in sweat and just sits down on the bench I was using and starts doing curls. I was like uhhh ok. She only did one set and then got off to go to another machine and didn't even wipe the bench off. It was covered in her sweat!! It was so disgusting! So I had to stop what I was doing and go get a towel and spray to wipe off the bench that somoene so rudely took from me and then sweat all over. I mean wth people! gym etiquette is not that hard, just be polite geez.

My other pet peeve like daffy was saying is when someone talks to you. Especially if I'm running or something. If you can talk and run you're probably not working hard enough.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_vent-gym-etiquette-morons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:bf6dbc62-5b76-4723-8e31-8fbe190e0f66Post:b0bad5f5-16b9-4d36-a14a-56e040328bcd">Re: Vent: Gym Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha, daffy, that's a great response. a_g - is that even allowed?  I sometimes feel bad when I see a kid in there because I'm sure it's the parent's only way to get in a workout, but at least keep the kid under control!  can you say something to management?
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about calling the gym and seeing if they could put signs up.  It seems there would be some safety/liablity issue there.  It honestly took me three days to even realize which woman the kid belonged to because she completely ignored her the entire time. 
    Visit The Knot! "Oh, thinkin' about all our younger years There was only you and me We were young and wild and free Now nothin' can take you away from me"
  • My biggest pet peeve in the gym is giant groups who come more for socializing than working out, but take up everything. My FI works for the recreation department at a local college so I get to use their fitness facilities, which means I share with college students. The girls always come in together in huge gaggles and take up all the cardio equipment, but then they barely workout. They just walk at a normal pace on the treadmills or bike really slowly because they're too busy talking to actually break a sweat. It makes me nuts. 

I beat a group to a bike once and was on the middle bike of five (it was the one right in front of the tv, only reason I picked that one) and I thought they were going to forcefully yank me off it because they had to sit split up. I stayed there though. I wasn't about to cut my workout short so they can have happy fun time. They only came for the one week leading up tp spring break then I never saw them again. Because one week of half assed stationary biking will make you look good in a bikini..? I typically avoid the gym during peak "motivation" times for non regular gym rats but the student breaks always catch me off guard. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • This post is in perfect timing!  There is this woman in her mid 50s that comes to class late constantly, stands in front of the mirror, always does the moves wrong and talks ALL through the class, but this past Tuesday took the cake.  She strolled into class wearing a skin tight neon yellow tennis skirt and a bright orange shirt that said "I'm a witch" across the chest.  She set up her board and then bent over with her butt facing the class and her underwear was hanging out of the built in underwear in the skirt.  HOW is that appropriate?  We do a lot of ab work in class, as well as using the boards for free weight chest work with our legs up in the air and the ENTIRE time she was showing the class her goods??  It was disgusting and sooo inappropriate
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  Or.. The girls who sit on the elliptical for 20 minutes on the easiest setting and keep staring and judging you as you do a real workout.  My OTHER favorite are the guys who only do arms and do the most weight they possibly can and grunt.. stop.. look to see whose watching.. and then maybe do one more for show

I'm a closet Jenna Marbles addict and her video about "People Who Piss Me off At the Gym" SPOT ON. Enjoy! Hope it makes you laugh just a bit

http://youtu.be/Bhf1cmq-64M <-- hoping that works? If not.. google!
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards