Chit Chat
Options

Friends Daughter Can See Ghosts...WWYD?

So I was talking to a friend couple nights ago, and she had posted on facebook that her daughter is getting really freaked out because of the ghosts she is seeing. They arn't hurting her just telling her that they are there for her. She is 4 years old and this has happened more than once.

She was sitting on the couch, and all of a sudden she looked over at the wall and said what do you want? Go away leave me alone! But all day she had to keep telling them to leave her and her family alone.

At there old house she would see old indians standing in her doorway, and her mom did a cleansing on the house and she said all the doors and windows slammed shut. But they never had any more ghosts.

My friend has seen them too, but she only see's the shapes while her daughter can see the detail of the person.

Just curious to see who believes in ghosts and what you would do if you could actually see them??
Wedding Countdown Ticker Flowers
image 160 Invited
image 2 are ready to party with there boots on! image 0 have better things to do image158 are trying to find there boots
RSVP Date: July 25th

Re: Friends Daughter Can See Ghosts...WWYD?

• Options
    I believe in them, but I have no idea what I would do if I actually saw one. Probably freak out a little.
    Anniversary
  • Options

I had a ghost in the house that I grew up in.  He was careful not to scare us though.

Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    My mom did too, infact my grandma saw it one day and he took on the look of my grandpa in a rain coat, while my grandma was vaccuming, and said she would be up in a second. Went upstairs and couldnt find him, so she called his office asking what happened. He said i am at the office and why would i have my rain coat it's sunny outside.

My mom saw him too, but he was dressed in the more traditional colonial clothing.
    image 160 Invited
    image 2 are ready to party with there boots on! image 0 have better things to do image158 are trying to find there boots
  • Options
    My sister saw a ghost in the house we grew up in. It was the elderly man that had lived there previously.  None of the rest of us ever saw him.

I do believe, and I swear our house now has ghosts. We can hear "voices" coming from our basement. Not words, just mumbling. And the dog freaks out every now & then for no reason.

I guess my reaction to seeing one would depend on their intent.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Burn some sage in their house.  

I don't believe in ghosts, but my crazy seiance aunt says it makes the ghosts leave.  She comes over and burns sage any time anyone moves into a new place.  
  • Options
    If my child were seeing ghosts, I would take them to a psychiatrist to have them evaluated for child onset schizophrenia.  It's rare, but I have to say that would be my first thought. 

I do believe in ghosts though, and my FI swears our current place is 'inhabited'.  He's seen things our of the corner of his eye, and I've had small chores done that neither FI or I did. Also, sometimes we hear a teakettle whistling faintly in the kitchen. 
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    I believe in ghosts, but I've never actually seen one.

When I was in high school, I was in my bedroom with the door closed.  No one else was home.  At one point that afternoon, I heard a loud knock (clear as day) on my door.  I assumed someone had gotten home, so I said "Come in!"  No one came in.  So I got up and opened the door.  No one there.  Went downstairs.  No one had come home.  This happened not long after a family friend (who happened to be our next door neighbor) had passed away.  I swore it was her.

No idea what I would do if I actually saw a ghost.  I'd like to think I'd keep my cool, but I'd actually probably freak out.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'll admit I'm a skeptic on this front (I'm open to the possibility of the existence of ghosts/spirits/whatever, but I also am pretty firmly convinced that 999 times out of 1000, there's an alternative explanation to whatever's going on that makes a hell of a lot more sense then "it was a ghost!").  If this was an occasional or one-off thing with this little girl, I'd probably say leave it alone, but since it sounds like it's an ongoing problem for her, I agree with the PP who suggested taking her to a child therapist of some kind, at the very least so that biological/physical/psychological problems can be ruled out as a cause.

Also, I will say that it strikes me that she might be saying all of this stuff for attention, since it sounds like mom and other grown-ups in her life are believers and she probably gets lots of attention over this as a result.  I went through a phase as a kid where I claimed to "see" people/ghosts/whatever, and I can tell you now that I wasn't seeing jack, I just wanted attention and wasn't getting a lot of it because my mom had a new baby who was seriously ill.  My mom told me to knock it off and ignored me, and I stopped saying crazy ish.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-daughter-can-see-ghostswwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:831855b6-5dc2-428f-b4bf-1ea5fd609b48Post:702b81aa-67f3-4e8e-bbe0-6c11c04b8e00">Re: Friends Daughter Can See Ghosts...WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tell your friend to tell her kid to stop lying. I knew someone that used to burn sage.  She'd do it in small, enclosed spaces.  Other people in the room would complain that the smoke was bothering them and she didn't care.  That's my totally unrelated sage burning story.  I know good story, right?
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!
  • Options
    IIs i had a time when i was home alone, and I was in my room, was getting ready to go to bed turned off my tv and it came on, so i turned it off again and it came on again, then i tried it a third time and it came on and the screen was blood red...i then unplugged my tv and if it came on again i was going to leave.

She could be lying, because they do have a lot going on in there lives, but the thing that really enforces it is the time when her mom did the cleansing and all the windows and doors slammed shut at the same time...

Her mom was at the cemetary taking photos and she got cut off walking down the road by a spirit...It's neat to hear all of your stories :)
    image 160 Invited
  • Options
    I sense them and see sihlouettes (sp?) there is one at my house, the previous owner. At first i used to be scared now i am ok with it as long as they are bad spririts. They mostly just want you to pray for them or stuff like that

• Options
    the house i grew up in was haunted, and the things that were there were not friendly (to my stepmother). my sisters and i saw a man looking out the bathroom window at us in the yard when I was 6.
      I always had an eerie feeling when i was home alone, but nothing happened until I was about 14. We would see bright lights randomly in the living room and hear rattling papers and noises around 9 p.m. every night. then one day something hit my step mother on her back, we assumed she was lying or something but she had a huge red welted hand print on her back that was about 2x the size of my dads hand...
         They had the house cleansed and the problems inside stopped, however we did hear lots of crashing and banging outside the house all night long every night. we were all quite freaked out....we moved shortly later    
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like attention seeking, to me. If not, I'd look into getting her some therapy.
    "Spend the afternoon. You can't take it with you." Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_friends-daughter-can-see-ghostswwyd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:831855b6-5dc2-428f-b4bf-1ea5fd609b48Post:702b81aa-67f3-4e8e-bbe0-6c11c04b8e00">Re: Friends Daughter Can See Ghosts...WWYD?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tell your friend to tell her kid to stop lying. I knew someone that used to burn sage.  She'd do it in small, enclosed spaces.  Other people in the room would complain that the smoke was bothering them and she didn't care.  That's my totally unrelated sage burning story.  I know good story, right?
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

<div>Did you find $5?</div>

• Options
    Just ignore the man behind the curtain.  

• Options
    I would reassure the little girl gently that ghosts can't hurt her, and wait for her to grow out of it.  Try not to reinforce the behavior by freaking out and giving her loads of attention over it. (If she shows signs of distress like eating, sleeping or behavior changes, or seems truly disturbed/upset... then maybe therapy.)

I don't really believe in them, but if she was my child I wouldn't want to invalidate her experience, I guess, by saying they aren't real or that she's lying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards