Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Do we need to register for china/fancy dinnerware?

Do we have to add china to our registry? My fiance and I love to entertain, but so many china patterns we've looked at are too formal or old-fashioned for our taste. Plus...this is going to sound a bit ridiculous, but I hate hand-washing dishes. I also can't stand eating off expensive plates that I'm worried I will drop or break. I feel like we'd get much more use out of, say, a classic set of plain white dishes.

My mom keeps telling me to register for china because she thinks we'll want it when we're older for hosting Thanksgiving, special occasions, etc. However, I know that even my mom rarely busts out her fancy china--maybe once or twice a year at most!

So is it necessary? Putting $100+ place settings on our registry seems silly to me when we don't really want it. Or will I change my mind down the road and wish I had a set of formal dinnerware? Any advice, ladies?

Re: Do we need to register for china/fancy dinnerware?

• Options
    The consultant at BBB gave us GREAT advice. She had us register for simple, casual, and durable dishes that are a great price. Then, we chose china that matches it and registered for eight individual plates in that pattern. That way, we have something nice and fancy that can dress up our everyday stuff, but we don't have to ask for eight $150 sets. We've "started" a collection that we can add to later if we decide we want it in years to come, but the plates stand nicely on their own.

I'm not sure if that advice helps you if you really don't like any china at all. For the record, I have never even SEEN my mom's fine china. My grandmother long ago got rid of her casual dinnerware and started using her china every day, because she figured she might as well get use out of them.

If you don't like any china patterns, and if you don't think you will ever use it, I wouldn't think twice about leaving it off the registry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    @Ali that is great advice that the BBB consultant gave you, thank you for sharing! Maybe we will do that. I like the idea of registering for a few individual china plates to dress up our other dinnerware, instead of asking for whole place settings of fancy china.
  • Options
    FYI, it seems like a lot of fine china is now dishwasher-safe.  Not saying you have to register for it, but just wanted to make sure you knew since you said not wanting to handwash is a factor. 
  • Options
    Technically you don't "need" to register for anything lol. As with toasters and crystal vases, if you don't want it, don't register for it.
  • Options
    Like the PP said, if you don't want it, don't do it. BUT, most china is dishwasher safe these days. Depending on the pattern, some are even microwaveable save (although, why would you nuke china!). Today, china isn't so delicate. It's actually more durable that most dishes out there!

Maybe look around at different stores & at their online selection to find a pattern that is more modern and fits your taste. There is a lot of variety these days. 
  • Options
    I like Ali's advice also.  If you really aren't planning on using it much, having a plate that can dress up your everyday is a great option.  Like PP's said, dishwasher-safe china is readily available today, and most of it is microwave-safe as long as there isn't any metallic banding on it.  China is actually a LOT more durable than stoneware or even porcelain, and is a lot less likely to chip, scratch, or break with heavy use.  Maybe register for something that has a nice mid-range price point and that has pieces you can buy separately in case something does get damaged.  If you like contemporary/modern dishes, have you looked at Macy's hotel collection?  Pretty modern but made out of bone china.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_need-register-chinafancy-dinnerware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:77b3cc80-df1c-4697-aa6e-f5518057bc04Post:2ae1a0d9-7ffa-4b24-830f-0924ada85de8">Re: Do we need to register for china/fancy dinnerware?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not a requirement.  If you really don't think you'll use it, I wouldn't bother.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
    agree. Don't register for it if you won't use it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I love to entertain!  But we won't be registering for anything like that.  Since we are buying a house before the wedding, we will be registering for stuff that we will need around the house, garage, etc.  I figured that we should go practical, and we can buy our own fancy stuff later down the road :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all your input ladies. Maybe we will register for a few fancy plates to dress up our regular dinnerware as PP suggested, but I don't know about entire place settings of china. 

Haha--I am usually such a decisive person. I don't know why I'm getting so tripped up on this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards