October 2012 Weddings
Options

when, who and what

WHEN did you get engaged?

WHO's the first person you told?

WHAT are the first few things you did planning-wise?

I got engaged on June 28, 2011 and text my 2 best friends and co-worker (people at work were making joke bets on when I'd get engaged).  We set a date (October 28, 2012)  a few weeks later and started meeting photographers in July. Then we chose a reception venue.

Re: when, who and what

• Options
    When:  Christmas Day 2011 (but at night after the day of family things alone back at my mom's house).

Who: We called my dad.  My FI had called him just before to ask his permission.  Then I called my mom and texted my 2 BFF ("Marry Christmas!!").  I guess they both knew and were waiting all day.  We were all at the bar two nights before, he told my best friend and she abruptly left because she was so excited and didn't want to ruin it for me.  Ha, I still laugh because I was mad at her since we were supposed to give her a ride home and she called her mom to come pick her up.  Looking back now it's funny.

What: We waited until we were back from our Christmas vacation to start planning anything, but the first decision was whether it would be in Iowa or CA (and within CA: Yosemite which we both love, or down in So Cal where we live).    It sure has been a fast 5 months so far!  :)

• Options

FI proposed 2-13-12, he kept acting weird about painting the spare bedroom of our house.  Like he didn't want me to help or something.  I came home to the below picture that day after work. 
    I took a picture and texted it to my mom, my sister and my best friend immediately.
    Planning wise, we knew we wanted a fall wedding, but didn't care about the date.  We scoped reception halls and let that decide the date.

Anniversary wedding-1 my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_when-who-and-what?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:424c46ff-8528-4d12-99b7-85e2b2e3a902Post:a5fe860d-143a-4037-9217-809ceb358adf">Re: when, who and what</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI proposed 2-13-12, he kept acting weird about painting the spare bedroom of our house.  Like he didn't want me to help or something.  I came home to the below picture that day after work.  I took a picture and texted it to my mom, my sister and my best friend immediately. Planning wise, we knew we wanted a fall wedding, but didn't care about the date.  We scoped reception halls and let that decide the date.
    Posted by Seipel12[/QUOTE]
    So cute!!!!

• Options

October 5, 2012 at FIs show (he's a musician and pulled me onstage, in front of 300 people, to propose!)

Well, family and friends had been invited to the show because they knew what was going to happen, so the most important people saw it actually happen :)

Photographer (a friend who has a photography business) and decided on the location, New Orleans!

Now just to keep on track with all of this planning!
  • Options

When: Sept 18, 2012  (day before my birthday-I joked that there was no way he could ever top another birthday for me!

Who: My parents, then my sibilings. I actually waited a whole day to tell my friends at dinner the next day. It was so hard!!

What: We had a cruise planned in Oct, so I took the two months to just enjoy being engaged. We started planning in Nov and took a trip down to OBX to start looking at venues.

115 Invited image
    73 Accepted image
    37 Declined image
    5 Are MIA image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    aimee58aimee58 member
    First Comment
    WHEN: August 22, 2011 (a week after my birthday. He was going to wait until the weekend when we were in Minneapolis, but he couldn't wait so proposed on Tuesday when he picked up the ring)

WHO: I immediately called my 3 best friends and my sister. We went straight to my mom and dad's house to show them.

WHAT: We knew right away which reception hall we wanted so we booked that by Sept. 1, then the church a few days later, and the photographer was done by mid-September.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    WHEN: June 11, 2011...3 days after our 5th year anniversary, i thought he was going to propose on our anniversary so I was bummed that he didn't...haha but he tricked me!

WHO: Called my parents that night, then my siblings, then my one bestfriend...he had finished calling the people he wanted and put it up on FB right away before I could finish calling the rest of my friends :P

WHAT: Got the venue within a month of getting engaged. It was such a big relief to get that done that I didn't get anything else until 6 months later...which was my photographer.
    Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

• Options
    WHEN: July 5th, 2011.  We were on vacation in Cape Cod.  He proposed at First Encounted beach at sunset. The sun sets right over the bay and it is the most beautiful thing which was followed by the most beautiful proposal!

WHO: I immediately called my mom.  FI made sure that there was cell phone service at the beach a few days before : )

WHAT: We knew exactly which venue, photographer, and DJ we wanted. They are all extremely popular, so we knew we had to act quckly!   When we got back from vacation, we started calling those 3, lined up their availability, and that's how we picked a date (the date picked us was more like it!).
  • Options
    February 19, 2011. 15 months down, less than 5 to go! He proposed while we were in MN to see his favorite hockey team, the Detroit Redwings. Back story: We'd been looking at houses and I had told him that we needed to get "our ducks in a row" first and that one "duck" was a ring I'm traditional with that stuff. For the MN trip he brought the rubber duck with the Redwings jersey I'd bought him as part of his bday present the year before and when he proposed he asked "Do you want this duck or that duck?" with the ring in one hand and the rubber duck in the other. We're kind of goofy like that. I told my best friend first, she helped him pick out the ring months before and knew it was coming. Then my sister and my parents. First things booked were the church and the reception hall. I'm a designer so I also started designing our save the dates and invites way early. Couldn't help myself!
  • Options
    Aug. 30, 2011 - He was going to do it on our anniversary (9-11) in Costa Rica but he got scared that something would happen with customs! Figured ring was safest on my hand for out trip.  He took me out to dinner on a Wed. and requested a babysitter for my son (I knew something was up!).

I called my BFF and she said "I know!". Apparently she and FI had been talking for two months.  She advised him on what ring to buy (they did good)!!!  Then we told my 11yr old son.  He said "So this means I can go away to college bc Mom won't be alone now when I leave." He made me cry!

I choose my venue the day after we got back from Costa Rica. 

Love isn't finding a perfect person. It's seeing an imperfect person perfectly. ~ Sam Keen
  • Options
    achiduckachiduck member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    We got engaged June 21, 2011 in the living room of our condo. We told my Dad and step mom first followed by FI's mom.

We booked the church and venue within two weeks followed by asking our wedding party, booking the florist, rolls royce and string quartet.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    When - 5/29/11

Who - I think it was my grandma.  I told my parents like 2 weeks later.

What - The first thing we did was debate our destination which we did for MONTHS until we settled on FL.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    May 27, 2011.  He took me to the restaurant we had our first date at and proposed to me at the table.  I tried not to cry and make a scene because neither of us like to draw attention.

I called my mom and dad.  They already knew it was happening.  FI had taken them to lunch earlier that day to ask for their permission.  Then I called friends and made it official by posting it on facebook. lol

We wanted to pick our venue first.  We had already done some research, so we just needed to tour the top ones on our list.  We knew we wanted an October wedding and that we would have to act fast because it's one of the more popular months for weddings here.
    dscf4745-2
    Anniversary
  • Options
    03.05.10 - yep, we have been engaged for tooo long now. He meant to wait until dinner to propose...but he couldnt wait and ended up proposing to me in the bathroom with my bra and jeans on. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

My cousin and best friends.

I think the date was a huge thing first.
    weddingpic
  • Options
    When :Nov 22 2008 yes I know a long time! Who: my whole extended family was coming over that day because its my aunts birthday so it was very convenient to tell everyone. I did txt my sister who lives in FL immediately though! What: Well I did a lot mentally and this many years later I decided to change my mind about everything except the dress...good thing I waited to start buying and booking stuff haha
  • Options
    catwinecatwine member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    love reading all these!  i'm super obsessed with proposal stories:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards