Registry and Gift Forum

How much china?

I registered for 12 sets that I absolutely love.  They are more fancy than just casual dinnerware but not fancy enough to be fine china.  I was just wondering if anyone wouldnt mind sharing with me if people actually bought you china. I feel like no one will want to spend the money, and even the ones that do, were definitely not going to end up with a full set.  How many sets of china does one normally recieve, or should I register for something less expensive or just buy them myself.

Re: How much china?

• My FSIL registered for... I can't recall, ten places maybe?  And two were purchased.  But we may get them a set for Christmas (her Christmas list is her registry at this point), and I suspect people will fill out their set over the next few years.

We've registered for 12, at about $115 each, and though I don't anticipate people buying them, I likely will, slowly over time.  Wherever you register will probably offer a completion discount to let you fill out your set (or at least work towards it).
  • We registered for 12 place settings of our fine china that were $139 each and we got 3 of them. Which is fine for now, but we will be buying more ourselves over time to complete the set. We plan on doing a lot of entertaining and hosting holidays so it will definitely be used and not just sit in on display in a china cabinet.

Ours were at BBB so we can use those 20% off coupons which I'm sure the people who bought us the sets we already have did as well. I never go to BBB without a coupon now ;0)
  • ok thanks ladies, mine are 70 a set at BBB.  They do offer a completion discount, so i'm asking for them for christmas, and will probably buy some more myself after the wedding. 
  • I registered for Kate Spade china at Macy's. I registered for 12 sets and they are $130 each. I know this is up there, but they are pretty fancy. Someone already bought us a set and I haven't even had my shower yet.
  • We registered for 12 placesettings of Vera Wang Wedgewood china.  The sets are $139 at Macy's.  So far we have gotten 8 placesettings and a lot of the matching serving pieces.

I think it all depends on your crowd.  If your guests tend to give cash at a wedding, you probably won't get much china.  Our relatives seem to prefer physical gifts, so the china has been popular.
  • We registered for a set of 8 and we got 2 of them.  But we got a lot of cash at the wedding, so we used that to complete our set (I really wanted it and I know I could never justify buying it later!).  But yeah, I think it depends on your family.  My sister's in law's pretty much bought her whole set and many of my friends have gotten most of it at their showers. 

I would just leave the one you like on your registry.  If you get it, great!  If not, you could always either buy a cheaper set yourself or if you get a few, exchange them for the less expensive option.  But you might be surprised at how many you get!
  • SIL registered for 12 at $140 ( I think) a piece and got 2.  The ended up returning them to BB&B and getting other dishes instead.  We didn't do china but did nicer everyday dishes and we got all of them. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yep, we also registered for 12 and got 2.  But FUN FACT I learned this week that even though you look at our Macy's registry and it says you can't buy the settings online, if you go to the page w/o going through the registry... there they are!  we registered for basically nicer casualware which was $40 a setting, but it was on sale for $22 this week, plus free shipping, so I just ordered the rest that way.  
  • My SIL registered for 10 sets that were $120 (i think). They actually ended up getting all of them for the company she worked for and from some people there.
  • We have registered for 12 sets at $75 and we have gotten 8 of them already.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We registered for 12 place settings of Lenox and got 17 place settings and a few extra plates and bowls and a lot of serve wear.  We didn't register for both "everyday" and "nice" stuff, just picked something that was nicer than "everyday" and that we wouldn't be afraid to use all the time.  So I think it depends on your crowd.  Ours was very much a boxed gift crowd.  We got hardly any cash, but all of our china plus some.
  • We registered for 12 place settings and minimal serveware (just the basics, like 1 or 2 platters, creamer, and some other stuff).  FSIL registered for very expensive China.  I don't recall her getting any place settings at her shower, but she was getting some of the serveware, so I was mindful to choose minimal serveware.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
  • my cousin got atlest 6-7 that i recall of her 12 if not more. We are physical gift people. The BMs gave her a set, maybe 2. I know my 2 aunts and grandmaw gave her a set. I wouldn't doubt that she got all 12 on her list. at her shower that is about all that she opened.She registered at Create and Barrel and there are none here and even the older ladies like my grandmaw had my aunt buy her some online for her.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards