Snarky Brides

Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...

How does age affect wedding dress choice, in your case or in your opinion.

I've seen many an episode on whatever bridal shows that have brides that are over 40 in full blown ball gowns, and young barely 20 somethings in frocks fit for grandma.

Are there certain styles that you think women of certain ages should not wear?
And did your age come into play when selecting your gown at all?
Share your thoughts...
Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
 CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!

Re: Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...

• When I think ballgown, I think young.  Very young.  When I see strapless, I immediately hear my mother's voice telling me my arms better look perfect.  BUT it's your wedding, and as long as it's in your budget, this is the one area where nobody else's opinion matters even the slightest.  If a dress makes you feel beautiful, then it's the right one for you.  

I have been to four appointments, only to realize that the dress at the first shop is the one for me.  Hopefully when you see it, you just know.  

Previously Alaynajuliana

• right....ive actually already purchased a dress, ...and then just purchased another dress LOL

my thing is, is there a point where a ball gown is not appropriate age wise? 
    obviously...you don't see very many young brides in super sexy/skin bearing styles either,

I'm 38, I purchased a dropped waist ball gown (sort of lol)...and a friend saw me in a mermaid and said it was more *me*.  I'm thinking its an age thing...plus, ive watched a few bridal shows where a woman almost age 50 bought a huge ballgown (ridiculous huge) and I smdh the entire time (mean but true lol) because I thought it looked absurd on her.

I dunno, I guess I just wondered what others thought if there was an age appropriateness for dress styles and if that rule came into play for them or not.
  • There are no conventions anymore when it comes to dresses. Once upon a time, a woman who was getting married in her (gasp) 30s would struggle to find something "appropriate" for her age. Nowadays there are no rules, just whatever makes you feel beautiful.

For my first wedding I ended up with a ballgown with an eight foot train.  Lovely and flattering. This time, I am indeed wearing a strapless, mermaid style - it is 'me' at this point in my life.

(My mother is not impressed that as a second time bride I'm wearing white; she's not up on the whole 'white means happiness' idea.)

Wear what makes you happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I certainly think that at 38 either a ball gown or mermaid is appropriate. I am 35 and I tried all all styles. I chose a mermaid shape because I liked the more sexy style and I am also less than 5 ft tall so the ball gown styles tended to overwhelm me. I would wear whichever style makes you feel beautiful and bridal.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-and-dress-selection-share-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bd6ec7a2-6cc2-4ee6-bcbe-34b6931bd254Post:2805a466-bcd7-4d19-a784-3422c408cfbe">Re:Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I certainly think that at 38 either a ball gown or mermaid is appropriate. I am 35 and I tried all all styles. I chose a mermaid shape because I liked the more sexy style and I am also less than 5 ft tall so the ball gown styles tended to overwhelm me. I would wear whichever style makes you feel beautiful and bridal.
    Posted by tlc35[/QUOTE]
      :)<div>
    </div><div>didn't you just recently dress shop?  I wanna see pics of your dress lol</div>
  • tlc35tlc35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    http://i46.tinypic.com/4sg13l.jpg I'm on mobile so I can't post it the normal way. I bought it a while back. It is actually getting altered now!
  • I think age should matter less than other factors when selecting a style of dress, not just a wedding dress..
  • Age never crossed my mind when shopping for my dress, lol. I wound up in a strapless, trainless, ballgown and a cathedral veil at 32. I literally never gave a single thought to my wedding before I was planning one so had absolutely no vision of what I wanted, much like I never gave a thought to my "dream guy" before I met my H. If I let myself overthink something like age,  I might not have wound up with him either! (H is eight years younger than me.) I do think that the dress is pretty much completely up to the bride's preference- like, unless splurging on the dress is going to make you unable to properly host your guests or if wearing strapless prevents you from getting married in the church you planned on, you're pretty much free to wear whatever you want!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Like the previous poster, I also didn't give too much thought to my wedding gown before I became engaged.  I married at 30 and wore a fit and flare, lace and bead covered gown.  I knew I didn't want a ballgown, but that's because I'm not 1. a super girly girl, 2. big enough for one (at 5'4'', they would have swallowed me), 3. over the top.  I truly wanted a simple wedding and a simple gown.  I would've bought the basic, first ever J. Crew wedding gown had my family not thought that was insane.  Ha.

I think choice of dress comes down to personality and how you feel more than anything.  If the dress makes you feel beautiful, then go with it.
  • I think if the dress is "wrong" for your age, you'll just know when you try it on. I was 24 at my wedding (23 when I bought the dress), and while I love tailored, lacy dresses, as soon as I tried them on, I looked like I was playing dressup in my mom's closet. Some girls can pull it off at that age, though, so really it comes down to how you feel in the dress.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think that age should dictate the style, but appropriateness (define it as you will) may influence some of the details, like the sheer corset bodices. I think it might be a little odd for a middle age woman to choose a sheer bodice (but if she can pull it off, good for her!) but as PPs have said, there are no rules.

I think part of it stems from the fact that many brides who are in their 40's or 50's may be on a second wedding - the vibe I get from these boards is that many second weddings are low-key affairs, where a ball gown would not be appropriate.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I never tried on any lace dresses because they just weren't "me". But I think if I did try them on, I'd feel the same sentiments as Krizzo, that it'd feel like I was playing dress up. At 28, most people think I'm much younger than I am. A consultant other than my own, saw me at one of my fittings and even commented that I looked too young to be getting married. 

The dress I chose was a strapless sweet heart neckline, modified A-line dress with some poof. Being petite, full ball gowns swallowed me up and some just felt down right silly. 

I think appropriateness of a dress is dictated by weather the bride feels amazing it, and if it fits the venue and ceremony of the wedding. Though I'll be honest I'd side-eye a see through bodice on anyone. I just don't think that's ever appropriate for a wedding. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-and-dress-selection-share-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bd6ec7a2-6cc2-4ee6-bcbe-34b6931bd254Post:c5715b51-de0c-4c5d-bcf9-92a5444bf71b">Re: Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...</a>:
    [QUOTE], like the sheer corset bodices. I think it might be a little odd for a middle age woman to choose a sheer bodice (but if she can pull it off, good for her!)
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

I don't think these are appropriate on anyone...  :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-and-dress-selection-share-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bd6ec7a2-6cc2-4ee6-bcbe-34b6931bd254Post:68663402-e538-4dcf-bc7d-d35f96d7f24d">Re: Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age and dress selection, share your thoughts... : I don't think these are appropriate on anyone...  :-)
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Me neither lol but they exist.... IDK, I feel like a pouffy wedding dress is supposed to have virginal undertones and being able to see a belly button ring through it kinda throws me wayy off....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-and-dress-selection-share-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bd6ec7a2-6cc2-4ee6-bcbe-34b6931bd254Post:83b34e8a-6f6a-430e-81a6-7db65c260d74">Re: Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think age should matter less than other factors when selecting a style of dress, not just a wedding dress..
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>elaborate on this please....you have my attention lol</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-and-dress-selection-share-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bd6ec7a2-6cc2-4ee6-bcbe-34b6931bd254Post:f048e58d-c829-4e72-bda8-7e57042653dc">Re:Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://i46.tinypic.com/4sg13l.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://i46.tinypic.com/4sg13l.jpg</a> I'm on mobile so I can't post it the normal way. I bought it a while back. It is actually getting altered now!
    Posted by tlc35[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>that is gorgeous!!! love it on you! :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-and-dress-selection-share-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bd6ec7a2-6cc2-4ee6-bcbe-34b6931bd254Post:c5715b51-de0c-4c5d-bcf9-92a5444bf71b">Re: Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think that age should dictate the style, but appropriateness (define it as you will) may influence some of the details, like the sheer corset bodices. I think it might be a little odd for a middle age woman to choose a sheer bodice (but if she can pull it off, good for her!) but as PPs have said, there are no rules.  I think part of it stems from the fact that many brides who are in their 40's or 50's may be on a second wedding - the vibe I get from these boards is that many second weddings are low-key affairs, where a ball gown would not be appropriate.
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>this is an excellent point.</div><div>This is a second marriage for me, however I never got the *wedding* the first time around, ...when I went dress shopping, after having watched many an episode of SYTTD, etc I flat out expressed no ball gowns. What I purchased isn't full ball gown, its dropped waist so not as poofy, but still more dramatic than a mermaid.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-and-dress-selection-share-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:bd6ec7a2-6cc2-4ee6-bcbe-34b6931bd254Post:194a4bf2-19a9-4d4d-b4cc-a8f25b210c90">Re: Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I never tried on any lace dresses because they just weren't "me". But I think if I did try them on, I'd feel the same sentiments as Krizzo, that it'd feel like I was playing dress up. At 28, most people think I'm much younger than I am. A consultant other than my own, saw me at one of my fittings and even commented that I looked too young to be getting married.  The dress I chose was a strapless sweet heart neckline, modified A-line dress with some poof. Being petite, full ball gowns swallowed me up and some just felt down right silly.  I think appropriateness of a dress is dictated by weather the bride feels amazing it, and if it fits the venue and ceremony of the wedding. Though I'll be honest I'd side-eye a see through bodice on anyone. I just don't think that's ever appropriate for a wedding. 
    Posted by B2Z728[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I get this too (the age thing) I'm 38 but have been accused of being 26 before lol</div><div>
    </div><div>and yeah on the see through bodice thing...i have no words other than I know some people like them, thats all i'm gonna say lol</div>
  • My first wedding dress was huge!!!...with tons of lace, buttons, pearls, etc...think 90's big!  It was so not me, neither was the marriage...LOL.  Now here I am 41 planning my second wedding.  I really, really wanted a designer dress with some splashes of color. Think Tony Bowls with blues and purples on a white back ground.  But, everyone around me thought I should do the typical bride thing and wear mainly white and gowny.  I balked.  First of all it felt ludicrious trying on the big white dresses when all around me were girls that, let's face it could have been my daugher (I have no kids...but I am old enough to have one that is old enough to get married herself, right?). 

Here's the bottom line.  Age is just a number.  41 feels older than 25, sure. But, I'm in better shape and I'm more confident than I ever was in my twenties.  I found a wonderful white dress that is charmeuse, trumpet shaped, sweetheart neckline, with an empire waist and a jeweled belt.  It feels so right.  You know what it is?  I realized it's not the dress...it's the actually marriage!   I am marrying the right guy who makes me feel like a princess.  The princess dress is a secondary issue. 
  • I am 34 and getting married for the first time. I felt that age was a factor when I chose my dress, but in a GOOD way! I chose a much more fitted dress that really shows off my body and the self confidence I have developed in my 30's makes me totally comfortable in a more modern and sexy dress. I never would have picked this dress in my early 20's. I would have worried about what other people thought, how my waist and hips looked, etc. Also, being in my 30's I could afford this dress myself, so the decision was all mine. Being over 30 is AWESOME :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-and-dress-selection-share-your-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:bd6ec7a2-6cc2-4ee6-bcbe-34b6931bd254Post:08db8754-e4e8-4124-9815-0e265201637a">Age and dress selection, share your thoughts...</a>:
    [QUOTE]How does age affect wedding dress choice, in your case or in your opinion. I've seen many an episode on whatever bridal shows that have brides that are over 40 in full blown ball gowns, and young barely 20 somethings in frocks fit for grandma. Are there certain styles that you think women of certain ages should not wear? And did your age come into play when selecting your gown at all? Share your thoughts...
    Posted by beautifulmama28[/QUOTE]

Age is just a number not a limitation, whatever dress fits your body and brings you that bridal glow then get it, I doubt that you would choose a dress that people will think OMG what was she thinking? it's your wedding, ive seen 50 year old brides in Pina Tornei wedding dresses and younger brides in lace older style dresses it is whatever makes you feel your best that matters so do what you want its your wedding not theirs
  • A 40 or 50 something year old bride probably shouldn't wear strapless, low-cut or skin-tight.

JMHO
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards