Plus-Sized
Options

Anyone else?

So since my family has gone crazy this year we decided to have Christmas dinner at my house. I am stressing out because I will be the one cooking for my family and FI's. Is anyone else having Christmas dinner at their house or is anyone else cooking for everyone?

If so how the heck do you deal with it???

Re: Anyone else?

• Options
    Haha good question... I have my FI family dinner at my house on Monday and that is about 75 people .. I am so freaking out!!! But I guess all I can do is my best and I am using alot of fast stuff from pinterest.!
  • Options
    Luckily ours is just about 10 people but this is our first Christmas in our house and the first time we will be "hosting" it. It makes me completely nervous since my mom usually does everything including the cooking.
  • Options
    You breathe.  You make lists with timetables.  You prep everything you can ahead of time and you don't sweat the small stuff.

And then, sit back and relax and enjoy your family.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_anyone-else-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:4c76d61c-909b-42cd-8142-fd7721259766Post:315c6b68-69f1-4735-b090-1f3b63717e33">Re: Anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You breathe.  You make lists with timetables.  You prep everything you can ahead of time and you don't sweat the small stuff. And then, sit back and relax and enjoy your family.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

this!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wow Klindse, 75 people!  I hope you have some help!
    We usually host holiday dinners at our house for about 20 people.  We have turkey - put in the oven first thing.  Ham - put in the crock pot.  Potatoes, sweet potatoes a couple vegetables, buns, salad and dessert.  We usually start after breakfast with the prep.  Get the meat cooking and all the other sides ready to be just cooked later so that we can have family time for the afternoon.  My kids help me get things ready and then we play games or go sliding or something.  We are pretty laid back so not to crazy as long as we don't try to get too fancy!
    Good luck with your dinner.  I am sure you will be fine!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Can't say this has ever been something I've done, but my little sister just hosted her first thanksgiving and all I can recommend is to ask for help when you need it! If you need to ask your family to bring a dish or two because there isn't going to be room in your oven etc, don't be afraid to ask!
  • Options
    I hosted Thanksgiving last year, for my family and FI's (we weren't engaged yet).  I planned everything I wanted to cook, and made an spreadsheet featuring a minute by minute plan for what I had to be doing that day.  Everyone teased me for it, but I planned for dinner to be on the table at 5, and everything was hot, ready, and served at 4:58.  Basically, I reccomend planning in advance, you don't have to go crazy, but have a general idea of when everything need to get done. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies this is great adivce. Is there any drinking allowed? A glass or 2 of wine while cooking all this food to keep stress levels down. Or is that just a little overboard?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_anyone-else-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:4c76d61c-909b-42cd-8142-fd7721259766Post:b29f3d57-456f-4852-90cd-519310f86fb4">Re: Anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies this is great adivce. Is there any drinking allowed? A glass or 2 of wine while cooking all this food to keep stress levels down. Or is that just a little overboard?
    Posted by mancila60[/QUOTE]

julia Child would approve wholeheartedly
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_anyone-else-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:4c76d61c-909b-42cd-8142-fd7721259766Post:b29f3d57-456f-4852-90cd-519310f86fb4">Re: Anyone else?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies this is great adivce. Is there any drinking allowed? A glass or 2 of wine while cooking all this food to keep stress levels down. Or is that just a little overboard?
    Posted by mancila60[/QUOTE]

Sure it's allowed!<em>

A little bit of cooking sherry for the sauce, and a little bit of cooking sherry for the cook! </em>
  • Options
    My FH's family decided to have xmas dinner at our place without talking to me about it. I'm working til 8 xmas eve and i have to get up for work at 6am on xmas day.

I'm not too happy.
  • Options

For 10 people I personally would save myself the hassle and buy it pre-cooked a dish somewhere. Big fan of Honeybaked Ham and their sides. I put them in dishes after I microwave them and so far nobody has questioned if I cooked it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards