Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup

Hey, has anyone done their own makeup for their wedding?  I can't stand other people doing my makeup because people end up looking completely different from what they really look like.  And I want to look like the girl my fiance fell in love with, not some stranger you know?  As well as I could save some money doing it myself.  I heard that you have to use a certain type of makeup or else it won't show up in pictures...  Is this true..?  And what type is that?Or should I just bite the bullet and get a makeup artist and tell them EXACTLY what I want?  Thank you!

Re: Makeup

• It's understandable you still want to look like 'you'. But wedding day makeup is a little different because it's a long day, and you will be photographed. A professional makeup artist can help you determine what makeup will work well with your gown and skin tone and that will have sufficient staying power to last you for the day with minimal touch-ups. You don't necessarily have to have the makeup artist do your makeup on your wedding day. Just set up an appointment at a department store for a consultation (some are free) and then buy the products you need to DIY on the big day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Planning Bio - A Total Work in Progress...
  • I'm doing my own makeup.it's not about you have to use a certain type of makeup, but more about what you should NOT use. you should NOT use foundation that has spf in it, or any kind of mineral makeup. these will reflect the flash from your photographer's camera, and make you look washed out/white/pale/sick. beyond that, you can use whatever you want. I'm using Smashbox Camera Ready foundation, because I wanted something that was camera-tested and covered well. I'm using Smashbox primer under it to help it last. I like creams or stains for cheek color, I think they last longer than powder.as far as your eye makeup goes, use a primer to help it last and not crease. use waterproof eyeliner and mascara even if you're not a crier. you may still cry. DO NOT spend money on this stuff, the drugstore stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff.same for lips. use a primer if you want, I'm not using one. fill in your lips with lip pencil or stain, then use a long-lasting lipstick (whatever your favorite formula or color is). if you use gloss, use only a little bit in the center of your lower lip--any more looks weird on camera. of course, carry some lipcolor with or near you for touch ups--like at your seat during the reception. or have your MOH or mom carry some.after all my makeup is done, I use Make Up For Ever's fixing spray ($8 for a trial size that lasts forever from Sephora) on top. it helps the makeup to stay on all day, even through rain and sweat. trust me, I tested this stuff in September in Texas. it works.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Ditto pp - no spf (including mineral make-up).  Your face will look lighter than the rest of your body sometimes and also mineral make-up tends not to last as long (coming from a daily Bare Minerals girl).For my wedding (PIB) I used Tarte Clean Slate primer and Make Up Forever foundation.  Like pp, I wanted something that would be great for the camera but still looked good in person.  I used Model in a Bottle finishing spray after everything to set. I went to Sephora and their MUA will give you a free consultation and show you what works best for you.  I thought that was the best route for me since they have so many different products there.  GL!
  • I'm thinking about doing my own makeup as well. My wedding isn't for awhile, but I went out and bought stuff to use to try out and get used to putting it on. I"m also using the smashbox primer and HD camera ready foundation. I love it!
  • I did my own makeup as well. I used good products and played around with my makeup a lot leading up to my wedding day. I liked the way that my makeup turned out.
  • I am scared to death to rely on myself for wedding day makeup...but I'm willing to do some trial runs before the big day. Where would you ladies recommend I get one of these consults? Is there a brand you prefer at the department stores (Estee Lauder, Clinique, MAC, etc) or should I go to Sephora? I barely feel like my makeup application is sufficient for every day but I hate to pay $65 + to get it done. I'd rather pay that much on good quality makeup that at least I'll be able to use for a while. TIA
  • I have been struggling with this question myself. I want to look like "me" on my wedding day (and I also want to save money) but, I don't want my make-up to wear off, either. I have SUPER sensitive skin, so that is another reason why I'd rather do my own make-up. I found this AWESOME (but expensive) brand. It's called Laura Mercier and you can buy it at Sephora. It's amazing. It comes with instructions, step-by-step, on how to apply everything and it comes out flawless everytime. If you buy the primer (which came in the kit I got) your make-up stays longer. I would play around with different make-up's before your wedding day and see if you can find something that you like, that lasts all day long. If you can then you can do your make-up yourself!
  • Try Mary Kay! Get in touch with a consultant and they will tell you everything you need to know about how to get your skin looking great so your makeup will look fabulous for your big day. Plus everything is free to try. Can't beat that!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_makeup-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:10498454Post:7e676d12-fb53-40f6-8a37-9fcbae23c2bc">Re: Makeup</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am scared to death to rely on myself for wedding day makeup...but I'm willing to do some trial runs before the big day. Where would you ladies recommend I get one of these consults? Is there a brand you prefer at the department stores (Estee Lauder, Clinique, MAC, etc) or should I go to Sephora? I barely feel like my makeup application is sufficient for every day but I hate to pay $65 + to get it done. I'd rather pay that much on good quality makeup that at least I'll be able to use for a while. TIA
    Posted by hugheston[/QUOTE]
    I would probably check out Sephora or MAC. I got most of my face make-up from sephora and my eye make-up from MAC.
  • I'm dealing with this same dilemma.  I actually found a hair person who does makeup, too, so I'm going to do a trial with her on both things, and see how it goes.  Like you, I have a pretty specific idea in mind on how I want to look, so we'll see if she can replicate it.  Hopefully the value will come in not just that, but having someone who knows what to use to make the look last all day!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards