Getting in Shape
Options

Workout plans

I am just curious what you all do when you workout and how often you change it up. How do you know what to do? Do you follow what is in fitness magazines?

Re: Workout plans

• Options
    I've been all over the place with what I do but my main goal is to do at least 45 minutes of cardio 6 days a week and 3 30 minute resistance sessions a week. I'm a semi-retired collegiate cross country runner now training for triathlons so my cardio is a mix of running, bikiing, and swimming. My resistance has been mainly kettle bell workouts and pushups (I needed a break after spending 8 years in the weight room!). Just find something you enjoy doing and will make you want to look forward to working out every day!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Running... and more running, I train for half marathons and finally ran a marathon so I generally run 50+ miles a week.  Occasionally an elliptical workout to ease up on the joints.  Tennis is another of my workouts, I played in college so that happens a couple times a week as well depending upon who will play with me.   As for fitness magazines, occasionally I'll try one or two of their exercises just to mix it up, but generally I use free weights, and do pushups and situps to complete the full body work out.
  • Options
    I do about 4 days a week 60 minutes on the elliptical. Lately, I've been adidng about a 3 mile run outdoors if I can. I also spend about 20 mins 3 times a week doing weights. I mostly stick with free weights.
    I do tear out the cards from the fitness mags, but I only use those if I can't get to the gym for some reason. They're also great to mix up the muscle groups.
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is a great question... mostly, the answer has to do with how much you have or haven't worked out in the past and what worked for you then.  I've been a runner for a long time, and in my opinion, if losing inches and fat is your number one goal, running (with intermittent walking, if you're just getting into it and working on your endurance) is probably the most effective way to achieve that.  It's also really important to mix up your workouts and get both cardio and strength training in.  Building muscle builds more calories all the time - whether you build the muscle with push ups, free weights, or machines in the gym.  I typically use free weights, and I mix up my cardio by using a stationary bike some days and aerobics workouts on other days.  Yoga is also awesome for toning/relaxing/etc.  I'm a former personal trainer, but even if I have gotten some great tips from fitness magazines and bridal mags too.  One of my favorite new arm workouts came from Brides.  Good luck!  Just find something you enjoy and keep yourself entertained by switching it up.
  • Options
    I don't even look at Fitness or any other magazine for workout advice. They recycle the same old stuff. Running was my preferred form of exercise before I started triathlon. Now I never get bored, and never need a rest day!

I'd follow nutrition advice from Fitday, Women's Health, and similar magazines, though. They find all the latest research before it even makes its way into medical journals. As a person in the healthcare field, I've been called the "resident nutritionist" based on what I've learned from grocery store magazines :-) Great recipes, great advice, and the latest research...

If you're truly clueless as to what workouts to do, these magazines are a great resource. If you're trying to start running, google "couch to 5K."
  • Options
    ditto river - a lot of that stuff is same old, same old. if you know the basics, there won't be much more to learn from magazines (unless you're looking to body-build - i can't help you there).  i've found that the basics and tried-and-true movements really do work. i run, bike, and do hiit on the days i lift, and when i lift it consists of the classic arm, leg, and ab exercises. every once in a while i'll go on the elliptical we have, but i'm not a huge fan of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Some of the strength workouts from magazines I rip out. I have free weights at home (no gym membership) and those magazines do give me new moves to try. Other than that, I rotate between doing a fitness DVD (usually Jillian Michaels) or jogging on my treadmill. I only do 30 minutes a day/5days a week. I *should* be doing more, but I've been doing this for 2 years now and hope to continue to do it forever. And 30 minutes is what I can fit into my schedule every day long term.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards