Ohio-Cleveland
Options

Sunday Wedding? Feedback Please!

So my FH and I decided to marry Labor Day Weekend of 2011. We absolutely hated the date for Saturday Sept. 3rd and chose Sunday Sept. 4th. The number 4 is sentimental. Amyway, we didn't it was that big a deal, since most people are off work the next day but our parents are kinda flipping out about it, asking us why would we choose a Sunday? Can I get some honest feedback ladies? Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sunday Wedding? Feedback Please!

• Options
    jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey!

My wedding is Sunday of Labor Day weekend this year and it's truly not a big deal! I would ask all of your vendors about Sunday discounts. Some will say no because it's a holiday weekend, but others will give you one. Our caterer saved us $1500!

With the parents, assure them that most people will be off the next day and not think anything of the Sunday wedding date. Sunday is also nice because it provides guests a weekend travel day on each side of your wedding date. Also, you can have your rehearsal dinner on a Saturday which is easier for your bridal party and parents!

Couple of suggestions:

-Send out your save the dates early. We sent our save the date magnets out with our holiday cards last year and that worked great!

-I would book your room blocks early. I booked our room blocks a year in advance to get a good rate and space in the hotel.

-Research hair salons. This was honestly the biggest pain in the bootay...few salons are open on Sundays! If you are getting married on the east side I will spare you the pain and just tell you that only two salons are open on Sundays and you should definitely go with Ladies and Gentlemen Salon. I tried working with my only other option and they were a nightmare!

-Talk to your venue about your rehearsal time. They will probably have to work around a Saturday wedding for you to have your rehearsal. It worked out fine for me. 

I really don't think it's a big deal at all! Book the date that you and your fiance want. Your parents will get used to it! I am really looking forward to my Sunday wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Okay, you just made me feel so much better.THANKS!!!!

I have already saved bundles because of the Sunday wedding and I was planning to send out our save the dates (which have already been printed) this Labor Day, as it is a holiday weekend and wanted to give people plenty of notice. I lived in Cincinnati for about 9 years and had the most fabo stylist, I have asked him to come up and do my hair and a couple of maids of honor. He said, he would be honored.  

CONGRATS TO YOU and your beautiful Sunday wedding :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't see a problem with it. One other thing to consider when planning your ceremony time would be the guests who regularly attend church on Sunday mornings. Choose a ceremony time later in the afternoon instead of a morning time slot. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jaylii9jaylii9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just wanted to mention that I would not send out my STDs a year in advance. For the sake of being honest, people won't care and they will get buried in their mail. A year out no one except your closest family will be thinking about your wedding date. We sent ours out 9 months in advance and a few people still didn't pay attention to the date. Just my opinion! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The church where our wedding have two early church services. That church will be completely cleared out  by 12:30- 1:00 p.m. and our wedding is scheduled for 3 p.m. That doesn't leave a lot of time for decorating, but the church is already breathtaking and so I don't plant to add to much to it.

As far as the save the dates, they're magnets so people can put them on the refrigerator and avoid being lost. I thought I read somewhere that save the dates could out as early as 9-12 months.

Including the save the dates in holiday cards is a brilliant, cost-effective idea. Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married on Sunday, and the only gripes I've heard are that people might have to take a day off of work for the wedding (then how would they not have taken Friday off to fly in? Why don't they leave early?  I certainly won't have bouncers at the door demanding people stay until it's over) and that it's more common for second marriages. 

My thoughts on Sundays are that if your church lets you do it, and that's what you want, do it.  I've found it's a great way to save money, and it's a great way to avoid scheduling conflicts since most events seem to occur on a Saturday.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im getting married this year Sept 5th (labor day weekened sunday)

you def save money from using a sunday by many vendors. so that is a plus.

also its nice that the next day everyone has off of work so they can party hard if they want too lol

it worked out the best for us since our families have reteraunts and they could keep them closed since its labor day so they could enjoy the sunday.

i dont think you need to explain to anyone why your choosing your date, i chose mine and that was it, if you didnt like it too bad.

i would being that it is a holiday weeekend, send out save the dates early (which is super chepa on vista print- i did  post cards w/ our engagemnet picutures and got SO many compliments!)
    cause then eveyrone will know about it and try not to plan anything for that weekend.

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards