Snarky Brides
Options

over the top -- whine

Got a wedding invite yesterday for a wedding in mid-August.  Invite is very elaborate; I'm guessing each invitation cost at least $10-$15.  The reception is at one of the most expensive venues in the area. Seriously over the top.   The RSVP date is the end of June (about when invites should be mailed in the 1st place, IMHO)  I suppose I should be flattered that we "made the cut" but the timing just screams "B list" to me.  

The bridal shower was over the top.  It was larger (60 people) & more costly than I suspect many weddings.  It was pretty obnoxious -- bride's friends gave salt & pepper  shakers (gifts < $30) while mom's friends gave BBQ grills, service for 8, a 72" plasma TV , , , , seriuos loot.  What made it obnoxious was that the bride didn't seem to know many of her benefactors.  This was all about the mom.

The whole thing is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth; I almost feel sorry for my friend, the groom. 

Re: over the top -- whine

• Options
    At least you seem to have made the "A" cut?  
  • Options
    I guess I don't see the big deal here.  They're having a nice, expensive, elaborate wedding.  I assume because someone wants it that way.  You can probably count on delicious food and top shelf booze if you go.  If it really bugs you that much, then don't go. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Your post screams of jealousy. Why do you care so much about the cost of someone else's wedding?
  • Options
    Well if they (or their parents) have the money to spend on the wedding, then who are you to judge it? Like J&K said they'll likely have really good food and booze and I imagine a good DJ or band. If you're really going to get your panties in such a wad, then don't go.

Anniversary
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Yup, you are totally jealous. Green isnt a good colour on you sweetheart.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_over-the-top-whine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:274978ef-0475-4c06-a0e5-d3bc2057ee9dPost:28bcb89c-97ff-41e8-b00d-f00c7875d3ba">Re: over the top -- whine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your post screams of jealousy. Why do you care so much about the cost of someone else's wedding?
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Sounds like someone has a case of the green-eyed monster.
  • Options
    Also, I don't know why you feel bad for the groom.  Dude got a new grill and a 72" TV out of it.  Pity is not typically a feeling I feel for people that just got a brand new gigantic TV.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    Sounds like the host of their wedding can afford it and wanted to give them a nice wedding. Nothing wrong wih that. If you came on here talking smack about someone because they "only" had a 1,000 budget, you would catch hell. I don't see how judging someone for having a larger budget should be any different.
  • Options
    I get that some people feel that "Platinum weddings" are just over the top materialistic affairs, in poor taste, etc.

My thoughts are this: I think it is in poor taste to judge anyone else's wedding on economics, or on much else, for that matter (really bad manners being an exception). I try never to count other people's money, be it 100 bucks or a few million. I have attended everything from a pot luck wedding for a couple who had a child with cancer that had bankrupted them, to huge country club affairs straight out of movie. I have felt honored to be invited to all and any of these weddings.

Don't know if your issue is being jealous of honestly just the spending/showiness of it but either way I would say let it go.
  • Options
    Why do you care? It isn't your money. If the wedding leaves such a bad taste in your mouth, don't go. I wouldn't want you there if this is how you felt about my wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_over-the-top-whine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:274978ef-0475-4c06-a0e5-d3bc2057ee9dPost:9b60d282-7a16-4437-89e7-e4dfa4ba4a1f">Re: over the top -- whine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do you care? It isn't your money. If the wedding leaves such a bad taste in your mouth, don't go. <strong>I wouldn't want you there if this is how you felt about my wedding.</strong>
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]
    Cosigned, me.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_over-the-top-whine?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:274978ef-0475-4c06-a0e5-d3bc2057ee9dPost:bb67bc8d-fdd3-4744-b320-9bc37788de5d">Re: over the top -- whine</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, I don't know why you feel bad for the groom.  Dude got a new grill and a 72" TV out of it.  Pity is not typically a feeling I feel for people that just got a brand new gigantic TV.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

<div>This is exactly what I was going to post. He's not worried about the wedding aspect, guarantee you. Guy is just happy he's got some brand new, kick ass gifts!</div>
  • Options
    After reading this, I actually feel sorry for the bride.  I was in a similar situation where my FMIL threw me a shower, which was very generous of her.  Unfortunately, she wanted to invite every female on her side of the guest list, which included about 15 people I had never met before.  She invited them because she wanted to see them, not because she wanted me to meet them.  She didn't even introduce anybody to me and I had to fend for myself.  Some of these people gave very nice gifts, and I honestly felt super uncomfortable about it.  It's probable that your bride felt the same way.  
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Whatever on how they want to spend their money. Heck, I'd go to every shindig I was invited to for this couple just to see it ... and be happy for them. They obviously are going to start out with a home well-equipped for, at the very least, fabulous Super Bowl parties! Maybe you will be lucky enough to be invited to those, too — if you don't make an ass of yourself about what you feel is exhorbitant and frankly none of your business. 

• Options
    Can this woman hold me a shower? I would love a new grill!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards