African American Weddings
Options

***OFF**

I just saw your post for your favorite wedding movie.  I love The Philadelphia Story too.  I have that movie on dvd.  That movie has two of my favorite actors of all time in it: Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.  So, how was Porgy and Bess.  I've always wanted to see it.

Re: ***OFF**

• Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn too!  Especially in the movies they did together like Bringing Up Baby.  They were just too cute.  

Porgy and Bess was terrific!  We were both just blown away the singing was beautiful and the set design was inspired.  We're actually big opera fans and this is the best one we'd seen in awhile.  If you get a chance to see it I would definitely recommend it.  
  • Options
    tamtam7tamtam7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loooooooove Bringing Up Baby.  My favorite scene is the one where Katherine Hepburn gets a tear in her dress at this restuarant and Cary Grant follows behind her to cover the tear, and she's like, really that is entirely inappropriate and then she finally realizes what happened, and is mortified.  LOL  I also love movies with Katherine Hepburn and hubby Spencer Tracey.  I would love to see Porgy and Bess.  We're not big huge Opera fans but we have seen a couple...well one really.  We saw La Boeheme and The Light at the Piazza.  Hard core opera lovers don't consider The Light at the Piazza to be a real opera because it's done in English.  I enjoyed it because it was about a young woman with a developmental disability from Winston Salem, and I work with people with disabilities in Winston Salem.
  • Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I lot of people don't consider Porgy and Bess an opera also because it's done in English and suspect there's a racial element to it since it has an all black cast.  Opera is still rather racist.  I love La Boeheme it is my fav opera!  We're lucky since DC has a good opera company headed by Placido Domingo and we were part of this program to encourage younger opera audiences where they offer discount pricing for amazing seats. 

I think I'm going to have to pull out Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby and have a mini marathon.   Maybe torture the FI and make him watch!    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards