Second Weddings

It's Normal (as requested)

Its normal to feel or want…

This post was from 4-19-05. We began the post to help us all understand how normal our feelings and needs really are…This list is what everyone wrote about their normal feelings:

Please feel free to add.

Its normal to feel guilty that you are having a second wedding
Its normal to feel scared to commit again
Its normal to have some doubts
Its normal to worry that your credibility is in question since you vowed "forever" once before (but it is important to know that your credibility is NOT actually in question, because things change)
Its normal to question whether or not you should take his name
Its normal to worry about what others think
Its normal to read the etiquette posts and want to cry
Its normal to WANT to have the wedding of your dreams for the man of your dreams
Its normal to want all the cheesey things first brides get:)
Its normal to be more scared of moving in and combining your belongings than it is to get married
Its normal to put up walls
It's normal NOT to have the support of every family member
It's normal to want to "connect" with other 2nd timers
It's normal to "test" him ... again and again
It's normal to think at first - we don't deserve certain things
It's normal to cry/be upset when reminded of the first failure
It's normal to keep putting things off (that guilt thing again)
It's normal to have issues when kids are involved
It's normal to feel like you have the letter " D " on your forehead
YES, it's normal to be HAPPY and EXCITED when you're ready to accept it! *
Its normal to have heightened anxiety
Its normal to overanalyze every single comment he makes, about you, your kids, your future, your wedding...looking for the cue that its going to fall apart.
Its normal to partition off (is that what you meant by walls, Sassee?) those parts of you that were hurt the worst in the past, and be cautious about being vulnerable to him.
Its normal to be MamaBear where your kids are concerned, and to be surprised when you feel those MamaBear feelings about HIS kids, or when he becomes PaPa Bear with yours.
Its normal to look up waiting for the other shoe to drop
Its normal to sometimes just find yourself smiling again
Its normal to have just learned the definition of healthy (no matter how old you are)
Its normal to need to go to therapy
Its normal to be a control freak
Its normal to not be good at asking for help (Pealie, these last two are for us)
Its normal for you to feel like you have to keep your excitement a secret
Its normal to be afraid to lose the BEST thing that has happened to you in a very long time.
Its normal to wake up at night & look at him and be amazed he's there.
Its normal to want a GUARANTEE that he will not be taken from you by some freak event.
It is normal to feel uncomfortable but grateful when your family/friends want to throw parties/showers to celebrate your happiness.
It is normal to be pleasantly surprised when FI does not act/respond like DH did.
It is normal to feel bad that you get two weddings and some of your good friends have not had one yet.
It is normal to obsess about your dress and wonder if it is 'appropriate' enough but realize that sackcloth and ashes for you would not match with tuxes and pretty dresses for everyone else!
It is normal to not have something (garter, bouquet toss, etc)for your second wedding just because you had it for your first.
It is normal to worry about your child(ren) getting enough love and attention since you now have FI.
It's normal to want your family to be just as happy this time as the last time!
It's normal to cut and paste this into a document that you can refer to daily, just to remind yourself of exactly how normal you are!
It's NORMAL to worry what his family specifically thinks of you, your kids, your parenting style, whatever.
It's NORMAL to have a few bumps in the road with the stepkids.
It's NORMAL to wonder who's going to compile this into one list and repost it so we can all print it out and post it somewhere prominent. LOL!
It's NORMAL to wonder if he's for real because he's just SO perfect for you and your family.
It’s NORMAL for things you hated in your past marriage to bother you now. You just have to explain to FI why.   

Re: It's Normal (as requested)

• Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love ... L_O_V_E this list!  Thank you for posting.  I just sighed, very heavily. 

And, as I read the list of upcoming wedding dates, next month is going to be busy for this crew.  WOW!!!  Congratulations to all of us, especially the September brides.  Woo hoo!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Donna, reading the list makes me choke up a bit, because I have felt each and every one of these things throughout the process.

How about it ladies? are you normal?
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I fall into the "normal" catagory at least this time for the most part... LOL

Thank you for posting this!
  • embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for reposting that!  I'm sure we can all relate to quite a few of those!
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
  • tricia619tricia619 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I feel "normal" again, I thought it was just me!  Thanks for the post, it was soooo needed!
    Trish and Adam 10-09-10 Wedding Countdown Ticker image 78 Invited so far!
    image 66 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 1 What are you doing already!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank for this post - I am hitting a very bumpy road with the future step children and this was just what I needed to get out of my funk.
  • kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Love this post, I too felt all of the same emotions and thoughts  It is true human nature to quess and second guess in our journeys. 

I think we're all making it through in our own way and we'll be stronger happier women for having gone through this. 

Congratulations to all the September brides,  It's all so exciting!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I can hardly see to type through my tears...I'm so glad I stumbled upon this...THANK YOU!!!!

I'm not a big believer in "normal" since I have yet to find it, or feel it!  But the sense of connectedness and validation through all of the posts I read, especially on this board, is "normal" to me!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow...this was great to find...Thank you!!!

As a third timer, this was such a welcome reminder of how much I've put myself through mentally up to this point...Good luck all!!
  • edited December 2011
    I love this!! Thanks so much for posting this. :)
  • tvandeursentvandeursen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! Thanks! I truly feel normal...never thought that possible. 8 months to go..so I'll take my time and just do what's in front of me and know that I'm ok. Wow....I truly feel better...although...the anxiety is still there, it's all good stuff. :0)

Tricia
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards