Second Weddings

Getting married... again

Hi everyone...

I've been reading some of the posts in the Second Marriage forum and just love the support and suggestions everyone has offered.

Here's my story... I was married at 21.  He left a couple years later and we were finally divorced a couple years after that.  Flip ahead 15 years and I meet a great guy but was turned off on the idea of getting remarried.  He proposed a year later and I said yes (cuz the ring was beautiful. lol).  Now flip ahead 5 more years and I've finally agreed to set a date.  Yep, we've been together for 6 years, engaged for 5 and now finally planning the wedding.  (Next year in October).

I eloped the first time around, but my parents did throw us a reception so I'm not asking for them to do anything this time.  I want something simple but not plain.  I never got to wear a wedding dress the first time but I guess I'm one of those people who think since it's a second wedding I shouldn't wear something so formal.  (Perhaps I care too much what others think).

Anyway... I know I'll have tons of questions (since we just set the date 2 days ago).   We attended a small wedding in Las Vegas a couple years ago and the bride wore what I can only describe as either a bridesmaids dress or mother of the bride dress.  It was a lovely tan/beige/taupe color and had a small train.  I'm thinking something like that rather than a regular gown.

Thanks for listening and can't wait to get to know more of you.

Kerry

Re: Getting married... again

• Welcome!  Don't rule out the big white poufy gown, until at least you've looked at a few & tried a few on.  Maybe the tan/champagne/beige/ taupe thing is what's perfect for you, but don't close any doors (there's a whole rainbow of colors to think about)  until you really think about it. 
    Enjoy the planning, and congrats!  ~Donna
  • No one should say or think any thing.  It's a wedding and you should wear what you love and makes you feel beautiful.  Donna is correct - try a few formal wedding dresses on and see how you like them.

I will caution you though that Mon Cheri Bridals and their associate designers have terrible customer service. Regardless of which designer you order from, your gown will not be as ordered. 

The only other caution you will get from me is to plan a wedding you have a clear budget for and not to go into debt. 

Congratulations and welcome to the board!!
  • Welcome!  And congrats!  Do it up...have fun planning and don't worry about what others think!
    image 82 Invited
    image 35 are ready to party! image 6 have better things to do image41 are lollygagging
    RSVP Date: Dec 19
    image Favorite Registry Item/South FL Board
  • Thanks!  I'm not really a big white poufy kinda girl, but I did see a dress I kinda liked at a consignment store recently.  It still has tags on it.  It's an Alfred Angelo in ivory with a brown/tan/taupe colored satin rim around the bottom.  Might just have to go back and try it on.

Being a fall themed wedding I was thinking of going with something non traditional, but maybe you're right and I still need to be able to be singled out as the bride.
  • You do need to be singled out as the bride!! It's your and your FI's (hubby's) day!
  • I agree about trying on different tings before you are sure about what you want! I am not a ball gown type, and was sure I would be in a tea-length. I wound up in a floor length ivory and could not be happier! This really is a time where you are free to express your tastes. Enjoy!
    ~~Mendi~~ ...Everyone has their price; mine's chocolate Photobucket
  • Congrats! I knew my husband for 4 years and we married 5 years (less one day) after our first date.

I agree with what's been said above. If you want to wear something "bride-ish" to your second wedding, then do it. Don't say no out of hand, simply look and try things on. They make a lot of dresses that are less formal than ball gowns, but maybe you'd like a ball gown! Take your time.

I love shopping in consignment shops and second hand shops. It's my way of personally picketing the stuff from foreign countries in most of the stores. Even if I buy something not previously worn, at least it was paid for once by someone else and my money is going to a charity or consignment seller. I have seen lovely wedding dresses in Salvation Army and Goodwill.

Also, if you ever come up to southeast Michigan, there is a store in Ann Arbor that sells donated wedding gowns from designers and other brides and the proceeds go to the Ann Arbor Cancer Society. It's really cool, they've been all over the news lately. They generally price the dresses about 50% of the original sale price, but they sold a Vera Wang $7000 gown for $2000..........most of the wedding dresses are in the $300-$500 range. Just thought I'd mention it.

It's called the Bride Project, and their Facebook page is here:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/thebridesproject

Looking forward to hearing about your wedding plans! And we like pictures too, LOL.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited October 2012

Congratulations on setting a date and welcome to SW!

I loved the dress (floor length, dusk colored, off the rack from Nordstrom) I wore for my second wedding -- it was not a traditional wedding gown, but it was in my tradition.  You see, for my first wedding, I wore a custom-made, floor length pink evening dress.  My days of wearing poufy white dresses ended with my First Communion in second grade.

Go with what makes you feel good.  No matter what kind of dress you choose to wear, it will be your wedding dress.  Poufy white?  Go for it!  Purple evening dress?  Why not?  As long as you feel serene when you see yourself in the mirror when you try it on ... do it!

• Thank you everyone!  I've decided to give it a shot and go try on the dress on Friday.  Hoping my 21 yr old daughter who will be my maid of honor can go with me.  I want to get there before it sells.  I noticed it about a month ago and that was what really got me thinking about finally setting a date.  Maybe that dress and I are meant to be.

Will post pictures once I try it on.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards