Not Engaged Yet
Options

Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)

I've seen this a few places and conversation actually came up at dinner last week with my girlfriends about it. A friend of mine was talking about seeing a post on FB, basically her husband's former boss and friend wrote on his girlfriend's wall, "I'll miss my best friend!" She was going out of town or something inconsequential. She thought that was so strange. She says her husband is her best friend, but if he ever referred to her as such, or introduced her as his best friend, she would be mad. I should say that she thinks the boss was/is in love with her. She has high self-esteem, and thinks a lot of herself. Anyway, the rest of the table's consensus was that it wasn't weird in the slightest. Of course her husband would introduce her as his wife because they are married, but the boss and his GF aren't. 

But it got me thinking. I don't think having it one way or the other is right or preferable, but I can't say my SO is my best friend now. I can chalk this up to a few things. 

1) Our relationship is still relatively young (going on a year and a half), but I'm old enough to know we don't know everything about one another and we have a lot to learn in the next several years. Even after years together, engagements and marriages, people grow and change so you never really know everything about someone. You just hope to grow and change and discover things together. 

2) We are "older"-we aren't really old at all, but we aren't 22-we have had a some life and experiences, both good and heart-wrenchingly bad, that we didn't go through together. You can always tell a person something, but they won't ever know what it was like to be there. He can know about the things I went through in HS and college, but he wasn't there like my friend J, or my friend T. That sense of history and experience together will come to us, but I have a much longer history of experiences with others, so to speak. As does he.

3) I think the idea that your SO is or has to be your best friend is kind of a new concept. Like engagement rings and wedding registries. In the History of relationships and marriage, I don't think your husband/wife as best friend became a thing until just recently. It could be because marriages through history were to keep a clan together, or for social status, or for reasons other than love. 

While he is certainly the most important person in my life, and there is an intimacy there (not just physically) that I don't have with anyone else, I kind of like the divide right now between love/partner/confidante and Best friend/confidante. I guess for me, each person has their role and I would never expect one person to fulfill every role for me. I have no qualms saying that my BF is the absolute love of my life. I've never met anyone like him and no one has made me feel the way he does. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he loves me more than I love myself. But I still hesitate to say he's my best friend. Maybe those roles will meld together. Maybe not. 

But I was wondering, is your SO your best friend? And why?

Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)

• Options
    LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My SO is my best friend, for a number of reasons. I have known him now for 8 years and we have grown together through so much. We started dating when we were sophomores in high school. We went through all the awkward stages of life together. He knows more about me than I do myself.

I honestly could not imagine my life without him. Even if we were not dating, I still couldn't imagine my life without him. When something happens, or a song comes on the radio, or I'm happy or I'm bored, he is always the first person I tell. We have a bond that is unlike anything else I have ever experienced.

I have never had that close girlfriend that most girls have. And right now, I have a handful of close friends that are girls, and they all live at least 2 hours away in any given direction. I also have a close guy friend that lives in FL. Being so close to someone involves spending time with them, I feel. Since I don't get to see these people as much as I would like, it puts a strain on our relationship.

So I can see where you are coming from with what you are saying, I however am the opposite.
    friends tv show funy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:b0e304ea-530d-44b5-a015-e8611d2ae8e1">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE] <strong>Even if we were not dating, I still couldn't imagine my life without him.</strong> When something happens, or a song comes on the radio, or I'm happy or I'm bored, he is always the first person I tell. We have a bond that is unlike anything else I have ever experienced.
    Posted by cdechristopher[/QUOTE]

<div><strong>THIS</strong></div><div>
    </div><div><span style="white-space:pre;" class="Apple-tab-span"> </span>Yes. SO is my best friend, but unlike OP we HAVE been through everything. When one of my best friends died my senior year, SO was there. He experienced the same grief I was going through. He saw and realized how that completely changed me. I won't go into all the details, but SO and I have gone through some of the toughest situations of our lives, together. </div><div><span style="white-space:pre;" class="Apple-tab-span"> </span>My last serious BF and I still talk frequently, and I think it would be the exact same way if SO and I broke up. Yes I have a few very good girl best friends, but SO is the one I come home and laugh to, or come home and cry to.  </div><div><span style="white-space:pre;" class="Apple-tab-span"> </span>I understand having someone else there to fill that best friend role, but SO does that for me. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I definitely see what you're saying. I do think time is a big key in it. Both length of time together as a couple, and day to day time spent with one another. My SO and I are quasi long distance. We see each other every weekend and occasionally during the week. We are about an hour away from each other. 

It's funny, my friend J I mentioned above is one of my best friends. I was maid of honor at her wedding 4 years ago and I said in my speech that "I am so happy that my best friend has found her new best friend." And it was true. And I do think he is her best friend. It definitely works for her relationship, and from what I can tell they have one of the strongest of the young marriages around me. 
  • Options
    Cackle6Cackle6 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad someone brought this topic up, because I've been wanting to ask this for awhile, just to see if I'm the only one who feels the way I do about it. 

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't consider my SO to be my best friend. My best friend of 12 years is my best friend. SO and I have been together for 4.5 years, and of course I consider him an extremely close friend, but the friendship is not the same as it is with my girlfriends. Yes, I tell him most everything, but sometimes I just want to talk to my girlfriends. I know some people probably think I'm crazy or will say that my SO and I must not have as strong of a relationship, which is crap, because we have a kick ass relationship, but no, I don't consider him my best friend. He's my SO, and someday will be my DH. I reserve the BF title for my girlfriends.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're a bit of an exception to the rule as my SO and I were best friends for eight years, completely platonic, before feelings got more intimate and we started dating.  During those eight years, we rarely went a day without talking to one another -- a fact that quite often our respective GFs/BFs resented about our friendship.

He's been my best friend, confidant, co-conspirator, support rod, everything, since we graduated high school, and now it's just on an even deeper level.  Even before we got together, we knew so much about each other; now it's just all out there.  It was a very natural transition because we were so close to begin with.

And the best part is, I already know how he takes his coffee. :) (not at all!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, my FI is my best friend.  He's there for me 24/7, makes me laugh every day, and is just THERE FOR ME.

Outside of FI, I do have a best friend who I've been friends with for 16 years...but it's just a different kind of relationship...I hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:b96aa59c-9f82-4893-81d3-c4f462a9c641">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, my FI is my best friend.  He's there for me 24/7, makes me laugh every day, and is just THERE FOR ME. Outside of FI, <strong>I do have a best friend who I've been friends with for 16 years...but it's just a different kind of relationship...I hope that makes sense.</strong>
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

<div>This makes total sense to me. I think the inherent nature of a romantic relationship and a platonic one makes them different. But beyond that there are things I personally associate with my SO and things I associate with friends. My SO isn't always the first person I think to tell about certain things. Sometimes it's my mom, sometimes it's a friend, sometimes it is SO. It's very situational and they all know eventually, so it's not like there are any secrets. </div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI is definitely my best friend. We have known each other since freshman year of high school and were really close friends for about a year before we started dating. We have known each other over since 2004. Come to think of it, we wil be getting married the same month we met. 

We have been together through his father, several friends, and pets passing. This is something that has really strengthened us. He is the first person I call with news. He has been constant for years. I love all of my friends, but normally I talk to my FI more than anyone else. 

While I don't introduce him as my best friend (and I think that would be weird) I have affectionately called him that while talking to him or on facebook myself. 

Sometimes I do talk to Amanda (ahh009) more, so she is pretty up there too Wink

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the way Shoes put it. Just recently I've started to consider BF one of my best friends- but I have 2 other friends that I've literally known my entire life and we've been friends that long. They've been through everyting with me. But I've also noticed there have been things that I'll tell BF first, or only tell him and not others. I think that says something to what I consider him now as well.

I don't see the need to say you have one best friend (even though the word "best" implies it) because I see different types of friendship. So BF is my "best friend" in the sense that I tell him just about everything and trust him in the same way I would my girl best friends.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My BF is my best friend in all definitions of the word.  He is the person that is closest to me, who has been there for me through anything, the person that I can tell anything to, and the person that I have been closest with the longest.  He is the person that I would call on at 3am if I were to have a problem.  He is the person that I (almost) never get tired of being around and always want to spend my time with.  I honestly couldn't imagine being closer to another person. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We were both in relationships with other people when we first met, and we became good friends before we started dating.  We even vented to each other when our respective relationships started to have problems.

Anyway, the way I see it, we're friends first and last -- the other stuff is just a bonus.  I'm pretty sure we would still be close friends if we had never started dating. If our relationship were to fall sourly apart, losing his friendship would be the hardest part.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't say that BF is my best friend, we were never really friends we started dating exclusively less than a month after we met. I love him and he is the most important person in my life but I have a best friend, I dont need him to fill that role. My best friend and I have known each other since 6th grade and we never fight, we think so alike it's scary.  I need both of them in my life for different reasons.

• Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:8e6ef8aa-8223-4ddc-8bcc-0cf9ddc2b99b">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't say that BF is my best friend,<strong> we were never really friends we started dating exclusively less than a month after we met.</strong> I love him and he is the most important person in my life but I have a best friend, I dont need him to fill that role. My best friend and I have known each other since 6th grade and we never fight, we think so alike it's scary.  I need both of them in my life for different reasons.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

<div>I think this aspect has something to do with it, too. BF and I have never been anything but romantic. We were never friends. Now, I'd say we are friends, but more than that. </div><div>
    </div><div>It's great to hear all these different views. I think there are probably kick a$$ relationships from both points of view. </div>
  • Options
    luvdncn90luvdncn90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:b49bff18-6d81-4ee5-969e-633712aede15">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the way Shoes put it. Just recently I've started to consider BF one of my best friends- but I have 2 other friends that I've literally known my entire life and we've been friends that long. They've been through everyting with me. But I've also noticed there have been things that I'll tell BF first, or only tell him and not others. I think that says something to what I consider him now as well. I don't see the need to say you have one best friend (even though the word "best" implies it) because I see different types of friendship. So BF is my "best friend" in the sense that I tell him just about everything and trust him in the same way I would my girl best friends.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

This.

M and I have been together for three years. I tell him everything, I talk to him more then anyone else. When something important happens he's the first to know, when I need advice, he's the first person I go to, when I need someone to just to be there for me, he's always right there.

However I think it can be unhealthy when your SO/BF/FI/DH becomes not only your best friend but your ONLY friend. I think it is important for women and men to have other friends outside of their relationships. Although M is without a doubt my best friend, I have a very closeknit group of girl friends that are my best friends as well. Although I can talk to M about a lot of things I'm sure he would appreciate it much more if instead of talking to him about my feminine problems and all the millions of things girls talk about, I discuss some of those things with my girl friends. However, if I chose to talk to him about stuff like that he always is there to lsiten.

I also believe it is important to have a life outside of your realtionship. But that's just me.
  • Options
    PolkaDotBellaPolkaDotBella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My BF is my best friend. We didn't start off that way... we were not friends before we started dating. We knew each other about a month before we became a couple. But, we've been together for so long now... almost 7 years!... that at this point he is one of my best friends!

The best friend process was gradual for us, but when I realized that I wanted to call him/tell him first when something happened, I realized he was my best friend and not just my boyfriend. I do have a 2 girls who are my best friends as well and there are subtle differences between my friendship with them and my boyfriend. I love that each of my best friends bring a unique aspect to our friendship and that's what makes each one different and special. Though, out of all my friends, my BF knows me the best... sometimes I think he knows me better than I know myself!
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    ..::..In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities ~Janos Arnay..::..
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SO and I were best friends for over a year before we dated.  Just one day it clicked.  That being said I don't think that my SO is my best friend, he's more than that.  We know and talk to each other in a way that I've never experienced with anyone else, we've been dating for nearly 4 years but I havn't gone more than a few hours without  talking to him for 5, it's just that kind of bond where best friends become more. 

And I too, have friends that I've known far longer than SO and I consider them best friends, but DK (my boyfriend) is a much different kind of love and respect than them. 
    Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover
  • Options
    HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF and I weren't really friends before we started dating..we talked for a bit then we started dating. I can tell him anything and I feel safe and comfortable around him, I consider him a close friend, not yet a best friend. We have been dating for almost 2 years and there's still so much to learn about each other and I'm sure that one day he will be my best friend. I love him so much and I can't imagine my life without him.

I've known my best friend for 8 years and she's my BFF for specific reasons...she's just freaking awesome. (On top of the other reasons). I think it's important to have a relationship outside of your relationship with your SO. You need a BFF to vent to about your SO and someone to tell you when you're being crazy about a fight you had with him or something or if he's being crazy. Someone who can look from the outside in.

Edit: I also agree with PPs that a relationship with a SO is much different from other relationships.  I know I can go to my BF about specific things and get something more form him than from my BFF. It's just different. I can't explain it.
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    BF is one of my best friends. That is the best way I can describe it. We have an awesome time together, we make each other laugh, we are the first person we each go to to cheer ourselves up, but he is not my only best friend. I am incredibly close to my sister, and she gets me in a way that no one else in the world does. That kind of read each other's minds relationship. BF and I get each other, but we are also VERY different. I probably would have still said that he is my best best friend until he lost his best friend last summer, and it has left a hole for him that I don't fill. I certainly help a lot, but it is not the same as having the goofy guy that he grew up with and was close to from the 4th grade on, who he drove too fast and smoked illegal substances with while they laughed at the same gross jokes. I am not that person, nor would I want to be, so no, it is not the same as having his friend around. This has been hard for me to deal with from time to time, the idea that I am "not enough" for him, or that I can't fill that place in his life, but I also know that this is how it is supposed to be. No person should be replaceable, no matter how much you love another person. And I know that if I lost my sister, no matter how much I love BF, that would be a huge hole in my life that is not his to fill. So that is why I can say that he is one of my best friends, but each relationship is too different to say one is the real thing and the rest are less than.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I would say that BF is my best friend.  When I tell people how many best friends I have I include him in the number.  When we first started dating I had only seen him once before.  So the first months was dealing with a relationship and getting to know that person.  I would say we weren't best friends at the time.  After we did long distance for 4 months it was then that he went from friend to best friend.  During that time we had to learn about each other rather than just going through the motions.  I also had very few friends while I was gone so he helped fill that gap.  When I came back everything was different between my at home friends and me.  This is about the time that my relationship with my then best friend started to fall apart.  I have one other best friend now but I tell BF everything.  See with my old best friend I couldn't talk about certain things because she would get angry at me but with BF I don't have that fear.  I can talk to him about everything, my fear and dream and hopes.  For that reason I know he is my Best friend.  I go to him first with everything and he encourages me.  My other best friend is also awesome and I do tell her a lot but not everything just like she doesn't tell me everything, which is fine with me.  For me I need someone that I can tell everything too, and BF does a great job at that. :)

However if you aren't there yet or you will never be there I feel like there is nothing wrong with that. As long as you are happy and in love with your man, no big deal. :)

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:b49bff18-6d81-4ee5-969e-633712aede15">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE] I don't see the need to say you have one best friend (even though the word "best" implies it) because I see different types of friendship. So BF is my "best friend" in the sense that I tell him just about everything and trust him in the same way I would my girl best friends.

Get out of my head, Bren=P

FBD is my best friend.  But in the same breath I have another best friend.  We've been friends for over 20 years, we've seen each other through everything, and she's like my sister.  I can't imagine her not in my life.

FBD is my best friend as well.  Even though we've only known each other 5.5 years he is everything that she is to me (with that whole romantic love thing thrown in there.  Sorry Kim, you don't get the romantic love...just plutonic).

They're two different types of best friends to me...but neither is more or less important in my mind.  So long answer short, Yes he is but he's not my only BFF.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:bbdea814-129f-43f9-9906-7ba437b91283">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long) : Get out of my head, Bren=P
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

Your tin foil is loose again ;)
  • Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:9ff98a39-2c8d-43f0-a4e7-9e9f152555b0">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long) : Your tin foil is loose again ;)
    I think I need to get some new stuff or something....

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]My BF is my best friend. I didn't know if I really believed that would be the case (like DanieKA said, I think that's sort of a new concept), but it happened early on. We met and got serious pretty quickly, but I remember very vividly one night when we were sitting in his old apartment before we moved in together. He and I are both only children, and, while not loners by any means, extremely comfortable being alone and value our alone time, etc. I was trying to explain to him this welling of affection I had for him -- not just love, but friendship, contentment, more -- and I ended up saying, "You're the first person that I'd rather be with instead of being alone." He completely understood what I was saying and said he felt the same way. He is my best friend because we can sit in companionable silence for hours and be completely at ease, because he knows what I'm thinking before I do, because he is the first person I want to call when something good or bad happens. Because he's the only person who "gets" every facet of me, even if he wasn't there to experience the thing that made me that way. Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

^This! Almost to the letter. 2 onlies who "get" each other. We don't talk on the phone, like maybe 3 times in the course of a year+, but we text each other like a million times a day. I spend basically all my extra time on the weekends with him, and even if I don't tell him everything first, I'll tell him everything eventually. We both have other people we call our best friends, male for him and female for me x2. But I never believed that you could only have 1 best friend.

(He's sending me updates every day counting down till we have the same adress :) adorable)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband is absolutely my best friend. He's the first one I want to call on all fronts - whether it's a serious problem, something really funny, or I just bought some new shoes.

If he wasn't my best friend, he wouldn't be the love of my life. I can't imagine being married to someone who isn't my best friend.

Isn't that was marriage essentially is? The ultimate friendship?
  • Options
    SassyFlatsSassyFlats member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:a442247f-82cd-486b-8bd5-2a14d92e78bb">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My husband is absolutely my best friend. He's the first one I want to call on all fronts - whether it's a serious problem, something really funny, or I just bought some new shoes. If he wasn't my best friend, he wouldn't be the love of my life. I can't imagine being married to someone who isn't my best friend. Isn't that was marriage essentially is? The ultimate friendship?
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]

Exactly this. Right down to the new shoes.

DH is my one and only BEST friend. After nearly 7 years together, through thick and thin, he is and always will be first on my list for everything: first to tell my latest news/gossip/rant, first to annoy the crap out of me, first to confide in, first to laugh with... he is my other half. Not that I'm not a whole person- I totally am- but he makes me more <em>myself</em> than I ever was without him.

I have a few very close friends as well- male and female. I have a wonderful, tight-knit group of girls who are all amazing, wonderful friends. My cousin is my BFF, I have a couple of old friends from high school that I still chat with who know all my stuff...

However, there are some things I share with my husband that are just between the two of us. There is nothing that happens in any facet of my life that I would not share with him. I learned that from my grandparents: married over 50 years and their advice to me was "Have no secrets." I take that 100% to heart. We have no secrets, and we share everything from sorrow to laughter. That is what marriage is to me.
    Daisypath Graduation tickers

Married to my best friend, making our way together through this crazy, mixed-up thing we call life.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I totally thought i was going to marry my previous boyfriend. He was not my best friend, and probably never could have been. I thought that "im marrying my best friend!" was a false cliche. I was wrong. My BF is absolutely my best friend. I have very close friends besides him, but he always comes first. He hears everything* before they do (whether or not he wants to), and because he knows me better than everyone else, he has the best and most practical advice. Why would I go elsewhere?

*Everything does not include celebrity gossip, awesomely-horrible tv shows, britney spears, and...just gossip. I love him too much to put him through that.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:cf59e3ce-45cd-4d7d-b0aa-1de022ae038b">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI is definitely my best friend. We have known each other since freshman year of high school and were really close friends for about a year before we started dating. We have known each other over since 2004. Come to think of it, we wil be getting married the same month we met.  We have been together through his father, several friends, and pets passing. This is something that has really strengthened us. He is the first person I call with news. He has been constant for years. I love all of my friends, but normally I talk to my FI more than anyone else.  While I don't introduce him as my best friend (and I think that would be weird) I have affectionately called him that while talking to him or on facebook myself.  Sometimes I do talk to <strong>Amanda </strong>(ahh009) more, so she is pretty up there too 
    Posted by SeaTea02[/QUOTE]

<div>I just saw this..How special am I? Although I would consider my So my best friend too. I feel that my SO and girl friends are different kind of best friends.. if that makes any sense. It's a different kind of relationship with each one. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:09acd3a0-627f-45ce-b5e0-44ace4d32d54">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long) : However I think it can be unhealthy when your SO/BF/FI/DH becomes not only your best friend but your ONLY friend. I think it is important for women and men to have other friends outside of their relationships.
    Posted by luvdncn90[/QUOTE]

This!  My guy is absolutely my best friend, and we do often refer to each other as "my best friend".  Actually, just like you mentioned - sending texts when the other is away that says, "I miss my best friend."  We don't post stuff like that on Facebook since I find it silly to see couples who live together communicating on a public space, but we do send texts like that and say stuff like that.

He's the best friend I've ever had and could ever imagine.  I do also have my best girl friend, who is out in California, and a number of very close girl friends who are scattered across the country (Boston, NYC, DC).  We're trying to plan a weekend to all meet up in DC (since most of us used to live there, with the exception of my high school friend) and FI is ecstatic that I'm going to get some time with my girls.

Anniversary

• Options
    caitlin.cavecaitlin.cave member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_friend-kinda-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:58736f72-ce00-4fd3-a4c3-8107d688d758Post:4bf0e7d6-004a-4e61-a81d-c4d7068985bd">Re: Is your SO your best friend? (kinda long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were both in relationships with other people when we first met, and we became good friends before we started dating.  We even vented to each other when our respective relationships started to have problems. Anyway, the way I see it, we're friends first and last -- the other stuff is just a bonus.  I'm pretty sure we would still be close friends if we had never started dating. If our relationship were to fall sourly apart, losing his friendship would be the hardest part.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Exactly this.  He's been the one person I've trusted with everything in my past, even the stuff that makes me look bad.  When I could tell him the things I'm not proud of and know that he'd still be there for me, he became my best friend.  This actually happened before we were dating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards