North Carolina
Options

Pre-marital Counseling

Hello NC ladies!

My FI is from Concord. We now live in SC and will be having the wedding in SC. His childhood pastor, from NC, is performing our ceremony and doing our pre-marital counseling.  I know that his pastor can perform our ceremony in SC; however, I don't think he is scheduling us for enough counseling to complete our SC time requirement. I was just curious to see how many hours of counseling you must attend in NC.

Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: Pre-marital Counseling

• Options
    edited December 2011

I didn't realize this was a requirement!  We plan on meeting with our officiant in August, so I guess I will find out all the details then, but I really didn't think you HAD to do pre-marital counseling!  This is interesting...I'll be curious to see what the other girls have to add!  Thanks for posting this!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not a legal requirement in NC. 
  • Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh thank goodness! I was getting worried there for a second. My counselor is planning on giving us one session sometime soon, so that we can just say we did it. How many hours do you have to have in SC?
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of pre-marital counseling being a requirement in NC. I know our pastor requires it in order to marry us, but that's his personal preference.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's what I was afraid of. Our NC pastor is scheduling us for 2 hours when we are available to drive to NC to meet with him. I just got the form today from SC and we are required to do 6 hours. Who knew?!?!  I guess I need to fill him in on this ASAP!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    SassyPants150SassyPants150 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's BONKERS!  We technically live in SC but we are having our wedding in NC.  I'd never heard that before....

We will have to do some with our Pastor but that's it.  I haven't even figured out when we're going to do it...weekends are getting limited from now til the wedding.  Need to get on that. 
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

• Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    What if you're going to a JOP? Is it a requirement then?
    We did probably 8 hours total (4 sessions at 2 hours - - they were supposed to be 1hr, but we talked a lot lol- - )

I had noo idea that it was a requirement. Mind if I ask if you're with a specific religion? I know my cousin whose Catholic had to do a certain amount down in GA because it's what the church required, but not the state.

Could you do counseling via skype or something?
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Your minister probably isn't aware of the state requirement, since it's not a legal requirement here, just usually a religious one. 
  • Options
    janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    so I think I am even more confused.. so SC does require counseling (correct?) and NC doesn't.  what if you live in SC but are getting married in NC? 

Why we are talking about requirements, does anybody know if NC or SC requires a blood test?
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    NC does not. 
  • Options
    kristal0603kristal0603 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was actually looking up this information today for NC, but I just looked up for SC too. To answer your question, Janice, no you do not have to have a blood test or physical for either state. And about that 6 hours of counseling for SC, it is not a requirement. But if you do the counseling and have proof of it you are eligible for a one time $50 tax credit. Here's the link for that website: http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t20c001.htm 
    HTH

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    hey man 50 bucks will cover your marriage lisence! Go for it.

I think NC used to require Blood Tests (my dad and step mom had to get one when they got married) but it's no longer required.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $50 couldn't get me to do counseling, lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found the same thing as pp about the 6 hours of counseling qualifies you for the tax credit but is not actually required to get married.  It was from that same page posted earlier SECTION 20-1-230.

No blood tests are required in NC, and from what I can find, they're not required in SC either.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Question, since you are getting married in SC, but your pastor is in NC... does his license to marry you extend to SC? We are getting married at the beach, and when we talked to our pastor, his first question was, are you getting married in NC? He said his license only allows him to marry people in NC.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Huh?  Tax credit for counseling!?  that just sounds crazy to me.  But I have to agree with amanda, not sure $50 is worth 6 hours of counseling!  Thanks for the info on the blood test. 
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards