Getting in Shape
Options

Need some advice!

Hi everyone! So my fiance and I are doing a pre-wedding weight loss challenge. We are both quite a bit over weight and we both want to change that before the wedding. We aren't getting married until September 13, 2014 so we have plenty of time to work on it! I am currently a 5'8 woman who weight 270 lbs. I was wondering if you all could help me come up with a reasonable goal to reach by the wedding. I have 557 days from today to reach that goal. I was hoping to go to 170, but I fear that dropping 100 lbs might be unreasonable. I would greatly appeciate any input and advice as well as any workout suggestions anyone might have! Thanks! 

Re: Need some advice!

• Options
    If you're interested in permanent weight loss, rather than focusing on reaching a specific number, I would suggest that you focus on attaining a certain kind of lifestyle. Gradually build in healthy habits to replace the unhealthy ones. Set fitness goals and nutritional goals, rather than fixating on weight. You could be pleasantly surprised with the results!

The first step I would suggest would be cutting out liquid calories. Drink water, water, and more water! Another thing that H and I have been working on is eating less at night. After around 6pm, we limit ourselves to mostly fruit. We've also stopped eating in front of the TV or computer. 

I don't know what your fitness levels are like, but set some goals for yourself, like running 5K or doing ten consecutive push-ups and gradually build your way up to achieving them. Check in here often and let us know how it's going!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-some-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:aedf4d55-798c-4276-b9f6-f2726c33c1cdPost:709f9897-2003-461a-90f5-f7dcffc07d1b">Need some advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! So my fiance and I are doing a pre-wedding weight loss challenge. We are both quite a bit over weight and we both want to change that before the wedding. We aren't getting married until September 13, 2014 so we have plenty of time to work on it! I am currently a 5'8 woman who weight 270 lbs. I was wondering if you all could help me come up with a reasonable goal to reach by the wedding. I have 557 days from today to reach that goal. I was hoping to go to 170, but I fear that dropping 100 lbs might be unreasonable. I would greatly appeciate any input and advice as well as any workout suggestions anyone might have! Thanks! 
    Posted by ChalupaBatman2014[/QUOTE]

Hey! So right now your BMI is 41.0 for your height, the healthy standard for a women of your height is 18.5-24.9 the least amount of weight you want to lose would be 110lbs in order to be in the health weight range, i'm sure you know all of the risks that accompany an obese BMI (sorry I hope that doesn't sound harsh!) If you can afford it I would suggest getting 1 or 2 sessions with a personal trainer to start you off, not only will they help with nutrition they will give you workouts based on your bodytype, goal etc. also pinterest is a great site and they have TONS of workouts that you can do and links to great healthy eating sites etc. That is great that your FI is willing to drop weight to because its hard to diet and workout when you don't have someone else motivating you and being right there beside you!!! If you can't afford a gym membership pinterest still has a ton of at home routines you can do and videos on youtube that will give you step by step instructions, I personally like going to the gym because whenever I try to work out at home I always get distracted or don't push my self as hard as I would at the gym. you also want to make sure AS SOON as you wake up drink 8-16oz of water to rev up your metabolism. Evening Primrose oil is a great supplement as well to aid in your weightloss journey, I would also start a food journal or get a food journal app if you have a smart phone, I have the livestrong app on my Iphone and I track my food, water and exercise daily, this helps me keep track of when I can splurge a little and when I need to cut back~!~!  if your interested you can follow my own weightloss journey on my blog: 40poundstoloseeverythingtogain.blogspot.com/
    good luck and I hope i've helped you out even a little bit!!!!
  • Options
    Ditto on forgetting the BMI.  H is a size 30 waist but is pretty built, an it rates him as well into the overweight category.

I started at 250, and I'm 5'6", so I know where you're coming from.  I averaged out my loss for the first year, and I think I was about 1.7 lbs per week.  The first weeks obviously saw bigger loss, but it slows, and I have been able to maintain the loss because I approached this practically (you should have cake on your birthday, you should have a drink with friends, you just cannot eat an entire day of fast food :) )
    First advice, try to take it slow and steady, because you want this to be a permanent change, not just a wedding one (or so I hope!)  
    Second, my suggestion would be to avoid a long term goal, because if you have a bad week and start thinking that you won't get there, I worry you'll just bomb out and give up.  I would advise first starting with a short term goal (maybe, 'let me try to go for 8-10 lbs this month.')  That way, you can adjust your goals, because as you get down in the numbers, weight loss will become more difficult.  Also, be sure to take measurements once a month, or so, because some times the scale is an evil thing.  
    Third, the weight goal should not be your primary focus, though.  Try to set exercise and eating goals - there are so many options here that you could make different ones a monthly or weekly goal, like not eating out, one day of no processed foods, gym 5 times a week, weight lifting 3 times this week, etc.  So have fun with those goals!  Healthy food and working out make you feel so much better than any number, trust me on that one!

Finally, track track track.  Lots of us log in a website called MyFitnessPal or similar sites.  We also touch base in the accountability thread.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I agree with PP's, particularly Xcaly with BMI not being everything. People are built differently and our body compositions are remarkably different...BMI doesn't look at that. If I were to get down to "optimal" BMI for my height I would be so thin I feel it would be unhealthy!

I'm likewise 5'8" and I started out at 260 so I know exaaaactly where you're coming from. I started losing weight around October 2011 and have lost almost 50lbs since (so 16 months). No one loses weight the same way and you will run into some hiccups, but so long as you keep at it you will lose weight!

My recommendation is to not have a specific # in mind for your wedding, that will just lead to frustration. Instead, focus on changing your lifestyle one small thing at a time that will facilitate weight loss over time. Start out simple - cut back on soda/coffee/calorie beverages and cut going out to eat/fast food down to 1-2 times per week max (eventually with the goal being to cut it almost completely out etc.) - start going on walks...even if it's just 20 minutes twice a week! Park further away at the grocery store and at work. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. All of these small little changes will add up and you will see results, you just have to be patient :)

I will also ditto join myfitnesspal.com - it has helped a LOT of us become aware of our eating habits and with it we've had successes breaking the worst of our habits. 

Goodluck! And we hope to see you on our daily accountability threads :)
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Hi!

To just add a few more points...

Healthy weight loss happens at 1-2 pounds per week.  Keep that in the back of your mind if you feel like you haven't made progress or the pounds aren't dropping as quickly as you think.  It took many years to put all the weight on and it will take just as much time to get it off.  Slow and steady should be your mantra.

Do measurements (waist, hips, arm, thigh, chest, etc) in addition to watching your weight.  You might lose inches some weeks instead of pounds.  Go with it - it's all progress!

Definitely track your calories using My Fitness Pal, Sparkpeople or LiveStrong.  They will help you come up with calorie goals for your weight loss goals.  Be honest.  Track everything.  Don't beat yourself up over slips.  If you have the calories, eat the brownie - it's okay :-)

Listen to your body and don't over do it in exercise, especially in the beginning.  Weight loss is majorly diet and minorly exercise.  Make small changes now (mustard instead of mayo, water instead of soda, etc).  Don't make them all at once!  You'll just get super frustrated.

A few programs that were really helpful for me are listed below. 

Couch to 5K - learn to run!  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

200 Squat Challenge http://www.twohundredsquats.com/test.html

200 Sit Up Challenge http://www.twohundredsitups.com/what.html

100 Push Up Challenge http://hundredpushups.com/what.html#sthash.ARw7NCyg.dpbs

Good luck!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_need-some-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:aedf4d55-798c-4276-b9f6-f2726c33c1cdPost:998b1a66-1398-43c9-a6ed-897469705756">Re: Need some advice!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto everyone else.  Two things to add: 1.  I heart your screen name.  The League is amazing. 2.  Under the GIS FAQ's, there's a link to a post our board's mod made called "How I Lost 50 Pounds".  You'll see a lot of recap of what has already been discussed here, but it's such a good summary of the steps you'll need to take for healthy sustainable weight loss.
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

<div>I did not even notice her SN. I effing love The League. </div>
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Hi, and welcome!

You've been given lots of good advice so far.. Ditto not paying too much attention to BMI. There are so many things that BMI does not take into account, and while it can be a decent general guideline, it's just that, a guideline.. my BMI is always going to be in the "overweight" category I'm pretty sure, but that's okay! Join MFP (my fitness pal) - and make friends with all of us! If you join, put out your user name and we'll add you. Or you can add us.. there's a link to a thread in a sticky I think? Also join in on the Daily Accountability thread. We talk about how the previous day went (or that day, depending on when you chime in) and what are goals are for today, what we're struggling with, what we're celebrating, and non-getting in shape related things too. It's a great community.

Take a starting point picture! I know you don't want to now, especially if you're not feeling great about your current body, but seeing any kind of improvement in a month or two will make you feel awesome. It can be really hard to see change in your own body, because you see it all of the time. Having a picture will help you celebrate the change! I wish I had taken a starting point picture.

Try not to just focus on the number on the scale. It's really hard to get past the pounds, but when someone looks at you, they don't see a number - they see your body. So if the scale doesn't change but the measurements do, then who cares? By the way - the scale WILL change - it just might not do it exactly the way you want it to, when you want it to. I'm struggling with that whole thing myself lately.

You will lose more weight the first month or two (or three maybe) - you could probably see losses of 3 to 4 pounds in one week at the beginning, but know that it will slow down. When this happens, remember to look at your pictures and your measurements.

Start slow. I also recommend the cutting out of liquid calories as a start. I used to drink at least a litre and a half of cranberry juice a day... uh... that was a lot of calories that I didn't even think about. I still drink juice at breakfast, but I measure it out. If I have calories left over and I really want a juice, I have one then, too - but don't fill up on juice (or pop or chocolate milk or fancy coffees, etc.) instead of eating food!

I also did Couch to 5K (C25K) like Joy recommended. It's an awesome program for couch potatoes to learn to run - if that's something you're interested in. Go slow. Do what you can. Don't change too much too soon, and focus on getting healthy. There are many benefits to eating well and exercising aside from dropping pounds. My blood pressure has gone from 135/80 to 100-110/55-65 in the last year. My resting pulse has gone from 90 to about 60. I'm not out of breath after walking up a flight of stairs anymore. These are important changes too!

Good luck, you CAN do it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I have written down my starting weight as well as measurements and I intend to make a lot of changes to my daily routine and hopefully make this a permanent change and not just a wedding change, but right now I'm trying to focus on one this to get me started. My biggest problem in the past is losing motivation hence the competition with my fiance (he did the same thing to get me to quit smoking and I haven't had a cigarette in over a year now!). I really appreciate all of the input! I've already cut out soda entirely and am drinking more water. That was my first goal because I knew it was a simple one and an effective one. I will definitely keep posting with updates as I progress and let everyone know how I'm doing. 

Also, one thing that someone had recommended to me was to try and eat small healthy things several times a day, because I have a bad habit of only eating once a day due to my busy schedule and I know that messes with your metabolism. I was thinking of trying out low fat fruit smooties. I figure they are easy, delicious and portable lol. So if anyone has any good smootie recipes or knows where I could find some that would be awesome! 

Again thank you all so much! 

(And my fiance and I totally love the League. We are so going to be the McArthur's some day. His brother is totally Taco even lol.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards