Wedding Woes

Dear Prudie: WTELMF? Who does this?

Dear Prudie,
When my brother and I were children, our parents were friends with another married couple, "Bob" and "Helen." Bob and Helen were frequent guests, and the two couples often traveled together. In my early teens, my family moved across the country, and Bob and Helen disappeared from our lives. Years passed. Last month, my parents were killed in a car accident. At the funeral, I was approached by an older couple who identified themselves as Bob and Helen. They asked if my brother and I would have dinner with them before they left. At the end of the meal, Helen revealed that she and Bob were swingers, and my parents had been their partners! She went on to say they'd had a falling out, and my parents had moved us across the country and cut off contact. She said they felt very parental toward us and wanted to be involved in our lives. My brother and I babbled something and fled. They contacted me a few days later, and I politely told them neither one of us wants further contact. Bob got very hateful and said that my parents had filmed several "sessions" of the four of them, and if my brother and I didn't turn over the footage, we'd regret it. Bob has since been hounding my brother and me by phone and mail, threatening to let anyone who will listen know of our parents' history with them unless we comply. Is this a matter for the police, or would they laugh us out the door? The prospect of cleaning out my parents' home has gotten even bleaker, as I fear what every old VHS tape may hold. Then there's the larger issue, which is trying to fathom how my parents lived this life for so many years. Help, please!

—Too Much Information

Re: Dear Prudie: WTELMF? Who does this?

• tawillerstawillers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Ick.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MNNEBrideMNNEBride member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited December 2011
  • **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • LnR70707LnR70707 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yikes
    br>imageimage
    IF/Baby Blog
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929
  • loveshine1loveshine1 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my God.

Helen and Bob seriously have a set of balls. Do they really think that anyone is interested in seeing their sexual escapades from 20 years ago? Probably not. And threatening the kids of people they used to swing with? That's something else.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    This one got as much of a side-eye from me as the first one:

My father is retiring after more than 60 years in the same business; for more than 30 of those years, my husband and I have worked with him. Our annual holiday party is going to be a roast and a farewell. Many of the employees have worked with my father for decades, and everyone's excited about the party.

The problem is that my sister, who's not in the business and lives out of town, is bringing her boyfriend, who will be celebrating his "birthday weekend," which she wants acknowledged at the party. I told her we would have a brunch the next morning and do something for her boyfriend then, but it would be inappropriate to celebrate the boyfriend's birthday at my father's retirement, especially since no one from work knows him.

She's extremely upset and thinks this reflects on how I feel about her boyfriend. She said all she wanted was a cupcake and rendition of "Happy Birthday" at my father's party. Now she and her boyfriend aren't coming. I asked her to reconsider, as Dad was so excited she was coming, but she just cried and screamed about how out of line I am. Am I wrong?

—Retirement Yes, Birthday No

• InksWellInksWell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you think they tried to play that "we want to be involved in  your lives because we feel parental" card to get access to the tapes?
    Dear Rain, Not Today. Sincerely, My Parade
  • *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the kids need to tell Helen and Bob if the harassment doesn't stop, that they will release the tapes. :-) With the parents dead, the only ones the tapes will directly impact in a negative manner are Bob and Helen. 

What did Prudie say?
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Prudie's response:

Dear Too Much,
    How grotesque that on the day you buried both your parents, a pair of wizened swingers showed up to intrude on your grief and start the process of blackmailing you. These people are so toxic and despicable that no wonder your parents fled to the other side of the continent. I understand dealing with the shock of your loss, and handling their estate, is consuming enough. But in order to get this repulsive twosome out of your lives for good, it's worthwhile for you to retain the services of a lawyer. I talked to Washington, D.C., criminal defense attorney Danya Dayson about your options. She said there's a good chance that a cease-and-desist letter on legal letterhead arriving at the home of this oversexed, over-the-hill pair will be all you'll need. The letter can explain that unless they make a second, and final, disappearance from your lives, you will pursue further legal options. Depending on your jurisdiction, this could include obtaining a civil restraining order or possibly even letting prosecutors make Bob and Helen's acquaintance. As for their threat to tell "anyone who would listen" about your deceased parents' love lives, presumably all your parents' friends and family members would have the same reaction: "If you ever contact me again, I'll call the police."

A while ago, I ran a letter from a woman who couldn't bear to dispose of a sex tape she and her late husband had made, but she also couldn't stand the thought of her children finding it if she died suddenly. In response, clever readers suggested that all older people label such tapes "Matlock, Season Four" or "The Best of Hee-Haw." That way, the kids will toss them directly in the trash. You actually don't know if these alleged sex tapes ever existed. If they did, it's likely they didn't make it onto the moving van for that cross-country trek. If you find any VHS tapes in your parents' house, just put them in a box for now. Finally, you don't have to try to make sense of what your parents may have been doing in the rec room when you kids had gone to sleep. Just know that even those we think we know best have the capacity to surprise us. And maybe someday you can even smile about the fact that behind your parents' Ozzie and Harriet façade was something wild.

—Prudie

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards