Rhode Island

Venue cancelled my wedding! Only 4 months away...

I'm getting married in Newport and my venue just told me they cannot honor our contract because the house is being sold, etc etc (long story). Anyway, I'm at a loss! I need to find a new venue for Columbus Day weekend that allows outside caterers (Russell Morin) and will accommodate all my other contracted vendors. I'm from out of state and the only reason I chose Newport was to get married in a historic mansion. My save the dates have been sent out, flights booked, hotels booked, etc. etc. I can't change my date or city- any suggestions?

Re: Venue cancelled my wedding! Only 4 months away...

• i2012doi2012do member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Perhaps you can rent a private residence. Check VRBO.com for some vacation rentals and ask if they would allow you to host a wedding.

How many guests do you have?

I would get calling any and all venues that take outside caterers.
    Fort Adams, Eastons Routunda, the IYRS, etc.

Are you open to ouitside Newport- there are also places close by in Middletown and Jamestown.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • edited December 2011
    Best of luck to you!  I'm also getting married Columbus Day weekend... I can't imagine!

A couple of places to try:

The Colony House: http://www.newporthistorical.org/index.php/properties/facility-rentals/

The Tennis Hall of Fame: http://www.tennisfame.com/host-an-event/weddings-rehearsal-dinners
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ummmm ok we need to know what house in Newport closed and is no longer honoring contracts! 

How about:

Greenvale Vineyards
    Sakonnet Vineyards
    Glen Manor House
    Rosecliff Mansion
    Belcourt Castle 
    Eisenhower House
    Fort Adams
    Easton's Beach Rotunda
    Newport Yachting Center (normally you MUST use Blackstone Catering, but maybe they will make a special arrangement with you since you're in such a jam)

• BrambleBerryBrambleBerry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's Belcourt thats closing
  • edited December 2011
    No joke!  I had a feeling it was Belcourt because I knew the mansion was for sale for years.  I'm really sorry to hear about that!  That's the second venue in Newport in two years to get sold and dismiss all the brides.  It's just TERRIBLE!  I can't even imagine what you must be feeling right now!!  
  • BrambleBerryBrambleBerry member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel horrible! Rosecliff is stepping in and helping me out but now it's just about Belcourt stepping in to pay the difference in cost. it's the only other mansion with availability in newport proper so I think it's their responsibility- we shall see. 
  • naturallimenaturallime member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    did they alert you to this possibility when you signed? I'm sorry - its so terrible :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards