South Carolina
Options

South Carolina Wedding - BUT WHERE?!

My fiancé and I are both originally from Michigan and now live in Rock Hill, SC.  Neither of us have any idea on venues. We could go with the Charlotte area, Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or even Rock Hill.  

We are on a tight budget and don't want to spend a lot on the reception venue.  We are having a small wedding. Probably around 50-75 people. Also- our date is October 1, 2011.

Does anyone have any ideas? It doesn't need to be traditional or anything either. Oh, and my fiancé has this idea of getting married outside so that would be a bonus.

This is my first post and have heard great things about the other brides-to-be out there- so please HELP!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: South Carolina Wedding - BUT WHERE?!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My husband and I got married in Hilton Head Island  two years ago (October 11, 2008). We are from Califonria but thought it would be cool to rent a big home where our wedding party could sleep but also get married at the house. We had 80 guests and had the ceremony in the back yard over looking the marshes. I loved our wedding. Very inexpensive but soooo quaint and fun. Everybody always tells us our wedding was their favorite. We rented the house from destination vacation. Our caterer was downtown catering company. It ws one of the best choices I have ever made.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked into something like that too- just not sure where to even begin.  How large was the house you rented?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want to do a more intimate ceremony without tons of people on the beach try Edisto Beach. There isn't a lot of traffic or people down there. October is usually 75-85 degrees and is the dry month there. My Fi and I go every year during the first week of October. You could rent a large house with deck for the reception and do the ceremony on the beach. I think the pricing for those vary but are about $750-$1500 for a week.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, a fellow RockHillian!  I, too, just got engaged and am planning a wedding in October 2011!!  I'm already in the same predicament...I just don't know where to have this thing! I want <100 guests and I have to keep it as inexpensive as possible.  I know of a few places locally (The Field Trial Barn in Fort Mill, The Palmetto Room (downtown RH), Tega Cay Golf Club) but other than that I'm drawing a blank.  Good luck and congratulations!!!  Keep me posted on places if you find them...and I'll do the same :)

Linda
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow- Coincidence! Congrats to you!! We are looking ALL over. We figured we would search for a month or so and then make a decision. We were thinking of even doing something outside- fall themed. I looked at The Field Trial Barn, but I don't know if that is what I want. I would like to do do a more relaxed type ceremony. It would be cool to find a barn or something that would work with what I want.  I saw a picture where they used hay stacks as seats for the ceremony and had them covered with pretty yellow material... Any other ideas, let me know and I'll let you know if I find anything!

Good Luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    acausey6879acausey6879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Myrtle Beach and Charleston are great places!  Congrats! 

If you need a photographer, you should check out Christa Harder Photography.  She travels all over NC, SC, and GA for no additional cost and is VERY reasonably priced.  Her work speaks for itelf!  (www.christaharder.com)
  • Options
    MellandNateMellandNate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should try Cypress Trees Plantation in Edisto Island, SC...gorgeous location with marsh views around 3/4ths of the place.

Here are some links to some recent weddings there. Beautiful
    http://charlestonwedding.com/index.html#/farone/
    http://charlestonwedding.com/index.html#/raynor/

• Options
    lac914lac914 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I live in Charleston and it's beautiful, but it's very expensive for weddings. I haven't found a venue (other than churches) that wouldn't cost at least 1500.
    There's the Charleston Aquarium, which you can rent out and have catered, and it's honestly not to terribly priced for the setting, but I guess it's really about where you want to spend your money.

• Options
    edited December 2011

Hello Ladies!!!  To Jezzo--how many did the house you rented sleep?  I think this would be a wonderful idea...

• Options
    acausey6879acausey6879 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blushing Beauty-  I have a friend who is getting married this April...  They are getting married on Sullivans Island in Charleston and renting a beach house with a large vacant lot next to it to use for the reception...if you want more info, I can ask her and get details.  They are having their bridal party spend the night at the house...and just walking to the beach for the ceremony.  (The house is on the creek side).
  • Options
    edited December 2011

@ accausey6879----thank you so much please get the budget informaton from your friend, I would really appreciate it...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok first things first, congrats! lol and we have a lot in common based off location! My fiance is from Michigan (Mason) and I am from SC. We met here in Myrtle Beach (where I have been for school, originally from Greenville,SC); and I went to Winthrop, so I lived in Rock hill for 2 yrs! haha crazy world! There are alot fo great  places along the coast line, our guest list is about twice the size of yours so we had to go for a bigger resort with all of the out of town guests and because we work here, lol, but if it were your guest list size I would try and go with some houses. It depends is it 75 people wanting to stay in the same place, or a venue with different hotels around it? I  know a few places here in Myrtle, obviously one of them is where we are getting married at :P, but there are other great places too depending on your budget. If you decide on a beach wedding, just want to let you know that in the city limits of Myrtle Beach you cannot get married on the beach :\ unless its privately owned. If you have any more questions on MB, PM me :) !

First Date: June 8, 2009

Engaged: January 16, 2010

Tying the Knot: April 3, 2011

Wedding Countdown Ticker Someone who does not run towards the allure of love walks a road where nothing lives.-Rumi
  • Options
    britny622britny622 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head are both awesome! Check out Brittany Mauldin Photography they travel to NC, SC, and GA!

brittanymauldinphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems like most brides think beach wedding when they decide to do it in SC... but there are so many other options!! Here are my suggestions: (this is the list I made when I was deciding what venues I wanted to look at!)

-beaches (obv.)
    -historic homes (this is what I'm going with)
    -historical churches/gov't buildings
    -farms (think about Aiken... lots of horses!)
    -mountains (Oconee County!)
    -colleges/universities (a lot of our schools have been around forever and have lots of character... USC's Rutledge Chaple is on the Historic Horseshoe was built in 1805!)
    -country clubs
    -parks (try SCPRT)

Have you considered doing a backyard wedding? I read a blog where the girl was having a smaller wedding... about the size of yours... and wanted the feeling of a backyard wedding. They actually rented a GORGEOUS house with a large yard and did the wedding there. This gave family a place to stay so it made up for a lot of the cost. You could do this with a mountain house or a beach house.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards