Ohio-Cincinnati

$795 for a DJ?? Really?

I am just super cheap or is $795 for 5 hours for a DJ ridiculous?  Getting paid $160 and hour to play music is a little extreme even for wedding prices.  Is this the norm and I am just out of it?  I got two quotes and they were both 795 for 5 hours. 

Can anyone recommend a less expensive DJ or other option?  I have thousands of songs on my iTunes, but that really isn't an option.

thx

Re: $795 for a DJ?? Really?

• GoBucksOHGoBucksOH member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We paid our DJ $900, so to answer your question, no I don't think $795 is too much. But I also think that the DJ is a very important part of the reception so we didnt mind paying it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with you! Although $795 seems to be the norm or a bit on the low side from what I keep seeing, however we did find a DJ that my FI and I are very excited about.

www.cincystyles.com

Anthony is great and he is definitely willing to work with you on cost. Just a suggestion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Although we were budgeted to spend $1200 on a DJ, we spend $545 with Steve Bender DJs. Yes, the DJ is a VERY important part of the reception, however, I would never be ok with spending that much. We decided to also hire a brass quintet for the ceremony to use the rest of our wedding music budget. =)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen anything from $600-$1600 for a DJ in the Cincinnati area-- so it's normal. Yes, its a big cost, but you don't want to have a stinky DJ!

(AW: We have a relative who DJs for a living and is doing ours free---- *blessed*)
  • hotrocker2011hotrocker2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's to high for me....LOL...but im using party pleasers and for 3hrs its 295....They will work with you...check them out....

http://www.partypleasersdj.com/cincinnati.htm
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • newsgrl39newsgrl39 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thats what I paid for my DJ. I think its the average price

BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    for 6 hours (ceremony and reception) we are paying about $1100...but he is an amazing DJ and basically the "host" of the event keeping things moving along, etc...so we really wanted a certain person we had seen at other weddings.

• edited December 2011
    We're using Ur Way Light and Sound. They offer quite a bit (DJ, MC, uplighting, etc) for very reasonable prices. Here is their website: http://www.urwaylightandsound.com/home.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emmmbeeeemmmbeee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is exactly why we're going with our macbook and ipod connected to the venue's existing sound system instead of a DJ!
  • edited December 2011
    I feel like you Nicole, it does seem obnoxious to pay someone 160$ an hour for music, but like the other girls have mentioned, it is a critical part of the ceremony/reception. I think there are dj's you could find a little less expensive but also a lot more pricey. As far as djs, I think your total price is reasonable. Not a greal deal like party pleasers or steve bender, but still reasonable. Our dj is unfortunately costing more than I ever thought I would spend on music, but he was recommended by our venue, so he has experience and is familiar with the accoustics and how/where things need to be set up.

If you haven't booked anyone yet, I would look at some of the dj's the other girls have mentioned. Keep in mind though that if you want something very basic you will prob be able to find a little bit better rate, but if you are like lamar and want a "host" for the evening, it will cost a little more. Just depends on what you want from your dj. Good luck!
    The Future Mrs. Quallick Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    As a lot of people have already said, I think $795 is pretty average for a decent dj for 5 hours.  We used Brad with Queen City DJs and he was right around that price for 5 hours.  He did a great job though and I agree that the dj wll make or break the night.  A great dj will really make the night memorable.  Most of the better known dj companies were around that price range.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • emily31381emily31381 member
    edited December 2011
     As posted by rshelly cincy styles productions was my  DJ for my wedding. We also worked with anthony and he was amazing. He walked us through all the planning and really kept people up and dancing all night. we paid around $600.00 for 5 hours and ceremony music!! would recommend  them to anyone on here still looking!

• clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_795-dj-really?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:9f598821-2271-4294-8b53-2fb884fabe3bPost:1e30de72-c0e3-40a7-9396-cf8361baac3f">Re: $795 for a DJ?? Really?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's to high for me....LOL...<strong>but im using party pleasers and for 3hrs its 295....</strong>They will work with you...check them out.... <a href="http://www.partypleasersdj.com/cincinnati.htm" rel='nofollow'>http://www.partypleasersdj.com/cincinnati.htm</a>
    Posted by hotrocker2011[/QUOTE]

<div>I had the impression that Party Pleasers' base package is $1095 for DJ/MC only before including lighting add ons.  If you don't mind asking, how did you get them for $295?</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • sloanawsloanaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using Ryan Lehmkuhl, and paying around 500. He is great! I would not want to pay much over that though!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic June Offbeat Siggy: Then and Now Pics!!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jeff SchaeferJeff Schaefer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You are not paying $795 for 5 hours of labor. You are paying for the DJ's experience and the reassurance that you will have a fun and well run wedding reception. 
    The only thing worse than spending too much money is spending too little and regretting it later.

Jeff Schaefer
  • suedoylesuedoyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let's break it down -- not $160 an hour... he also needs to meet with you to review your music preferences and the type and quantity of hosting you expect (intro WP, narrate garter/cake/bouquet elements, facilitate toasts, keep people dancing, etc.)  He has to load, transport, unload, set up and test all the equipment, and tear it all down later.  He's 'ON DUTY' the entire event -- from before you arrive until the party ends, and has to balance guest requests with your event schedule and play/don't play lists.  That 5-hour party is more like a 9-hour day, in the end.
  • danielmichaeldanielmichael member
    edited December 2011
    In addition to setting up, tearing down, prepping for the evening and managing your reception, they also are continually spending money upgrading equipment and music as well as regular overhead such as bridal shows or listings on websites like this.  Then their is office overhead and all that kind of stuff.  If that dj works for a company, the company has to take their cut too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards