New York-Hudson Valley

Potentially Silly Question

Most venues seat 12 guests to a table, right? I'm 9 months out and want to start guesstimating how many centerpiece, table #'s, etc we may need.

I really don't want to bug my venue for this one unless you ladies think it varies.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Potentially Silly Question

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Are your tables round? If so, 12 can fit at a table, but it is super tight. I think we had one table of 12 - we really tried to avoid it any way we could.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I hate to be the barer of bad news... but you will have to ask your venue.

Reason being, because tables come in different sizes. My venue had 3 round sizes!

4' - seats 6 - 8

5' seats 8 -10

6' seats 10 - 12.

Obviously, the lower number is the comfortable number, the higher number is what can fit.

Also, depending on how many guests you'll have, you will need to see how many tables you can use.

We had only about 100 people, so we could have whatever we wanted and ended up with a mix of medium and large tables. Actually, we were able to have our 9-seater tables sit at the large sized ones. But that's because my venue had enough room and tables!

My sister had over 180 people and her venue gave her a map of how the room could look. she had about 3 different layouts. But the way the tables were laid out, she had the choice of  a14, 12 or 8 seater as the groom's parents table. A 10 seater wasn't an option. and she couldn't have all 12's or all 10's because her venue didn't have enough.

So you can get an idea in your spare time of who you want to sit with whom, but you might want to check with your venue on the size of the tables. The traditional oblong ones usually seat 12 max with 10 comfortably.

Hope this helps!

GL!
  • edited December 2011
    how many people are you having? what venue is it.... when it came to my wedding the venue gave me such a hard time on table number, the amount of people at each table, and my centerpieces... i ended up becoming a little bit of a bridezilla... 

we had 140 and i had 15 tables or something like that. we didnt have an even number at each table because we wanted everyone to sit with people they knew. in the end it worked out. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Hello. I've waited here for you. Everlong<3<br>
  • bridaljoybridaljoy member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was able to fit 8 to12 at a table. Depending on the group and mix of people I varied the amount.  Some tables I had 8 or 9 while  at others I had 12
  • ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you need to ask the venue...most of my tables were 8-10 and there were only four that were 10-12.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at the View on the Hudson. We're expecting between around 150-175. I'm just thinking because we were planning to inviting some people per table, like my mom will do a table of work friends, etc. 

I called really quick on lunch and the girl I spoke to said 10-12. I'll have to call back later and ask how big the actual tables are. Hopefully they're 72" rounds. Even if we just do a few 12's if everyone from one of those groups come I think we'll be ok.

Thank you ladies!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_potentially-silly-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:113Discussion:2165d678-cb43-469e-a4e7-4f7c1dcd6ab3Post:9eb42158-686c-40f6-a20f-0ecd2e3fc496">Re: Potentially Silly Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're getting married at the View on the Hudson. We're expecting between around 150-175. I'm just thinking because we were planning to inviting some people per table, like my mom will do a table of work friends, etc.  I called really quick on lunch and the girl I spoke to said 10-12. I'll have to call back later and ask how big the actual tables are. Hopefully they're 72" rounds. Even if we just do a few 12's if everyone from one of those groups come I think we'll be ok. Thank you ladies!
    Posted by SandDD[/QUOTE]

If she said the tables fit "10 to 12" more than likely they are the 6' ones. (Or they are the traditional-sized oblong ones)

Glad it all worked out!

(12 people won't fit at the 5' aka 60" ones)
  • edited December 2011
    our were 8-10 I think
    336a Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I don't know what size they are, but we have only 10 seated at our wedding, and I know I've been to some with as few as 8.

• MYLOVE315MYLOVE315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope it's not a silly question at all. I know I feel like that at times but it's a first for most of us so better to ask then go it alone. That's what these boards are for :-)

Personally if I were you I would keep it between 8-10 at best.

If need be, as what I'm doing w/ my tables in terms of my bosses table, I don't want to split them up so that will be a table of 12 I'm only making a concession with that table. For the most part it'll be 8-10.

Best of luck to you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    12 is a tight fit. 8-10 would be a lot more comfortable. 

Is your florist flexible?  We didn't have to give a final number too early.  If you have to order before your headcount is in, order for the max.  We re-used our ceremony flowers as table centerpieces and ended up with 1 extra at the reception.  We used it on our caketable.  If you have extra, you can always place them there, gift table, place card table, etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • probablykateprobablykate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I asked our venue and they told us the tables seat up to 12 but they recommend figuring on 10 per table to give people more room... so that's the estimate I went with when talking to the florist.  Once we get down to brass tacks with the seating chart, then we might end up with some tables with more and some tables with less... but at least we have a good estimate for now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you ladies! We're just in the planning stages now, but I think averaging 10 guests will probably give us the best guess. We'll get more concrete down the line I'm sure.

Appreciate the help!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards