Honeymoon Discussions

When to book?

How far in advance others are booking their honeymoon? Is there a window of time when prices tend to better?

Re: When to book?

• We booked eight months out because the package we were doing would increase in price as time went on, so we booked pretty early.

I don't think there's a definite window of time when prices are better. It depends so much on where you're going, the airline you're using, etc. I would start price stalking airfare probably about 9-10 months out at the most. Keep watching it and if it gets lower than it has ever been before, I'd probably book it then. It may never get that low again.

I would also check out vacation packages either through a TA or on places like Expedia, etc. We've always booked air + hotel and have saved. It's worth it to price it out separately too, but I have always found for us it's cheaper as a package.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Where are you planning to go? That makes a big difference in when you should book. I stayed at some super small resorts for me HM- one only had 6 rooms!- so I booked it pretty far in advance. Also, if you are traveling around a holiday, especially Christmas, or wanting to stay at a small resort during high season, you may want to consider booking 6-9 months out. For example, a lopt of resorts in French Polynesia sell out their popular room categories 6 months in advance or more during our summer months. Otherwise, airfare tends to be at it's best around 3-6 months in advance, but that is also not a guarantee. The other pps gave great advice as well.

• Thanks for the advice! We're looking at Hawaii in August, not sure yet which island(s). It isn't a big travel week per say, but I wasn't sure how far out to be looking.
  • It shouldn't be too bad getting what you would like in Hawaii. Most of the resorts there are fairly large. I just booked my Hawaii flights for a trip in May 2013, so that is 8 months out. I used miles for two of the three tickets I needed to book, though. So, to ensure my family is all on the same flight sitting near each other (and also in a small first class cabin), I had to do it early. Overall, for Hawaii, I think 6 months is a good target.

• We went to Hawaii as well (Oahu). We knew where we wanted to stay but didn't have a hotel preference, so when our TA find a great package deal, we went with that. Like I said we booked about 8 months out. I think you will be fine booking even 6 or 7 months out. Unless you are staying at a very small resort with only a few rooms like a PP mentioned, I don't think you'll have an issue finding a place to stay in Hawaii.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • i always book as soon as i know when i'll be traveling-especially if there's a certain flight or room category that i want. why wait? the fares may decrease but also may increase.

• I'd say no more than 6-8 mos out.  Unless you're booking a cruise.
  • I feel like I better get into that travel book on my coffee table then so I can be ready to book soon. It's exciting but a bit overwhelming since I haven't traveled much. (FI has traveld a great deal more, but I stress more over the details!) Thanks for the advice, ladies.
  • If we are booking something in the United States we tend to book it a little more short notice. I started watching flights for our trip to Las Vegas in April but probably won't book them until November/December. If we are traveling somewhere in a different country I start pricing 10 months out and watching prices. We ended up booking our honeymoon about 5 months out because of money reasons but we got a great price. I think when we book overseas in the future about 6-8 months would be good. But tracking prices is very important.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_when-to-book?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:afc01fd3-b04c-42cf-9958-b15e833e5e80Post:df13f0e9-45ce-4241-b569-4dab070a031f">Re: When to book?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It shouldn't be too bad getting what you would like in Hawaii. Most of the resorts there are fairly large. I just booked my Hawaii flights for a trip in May 2013, so that is 8 months out. I used miles for two of the three tickets I needed to book, though. So, to ensure my family is all on the same flight sitting near each other (and also in a small first class cabin), I had to do it early. Overall, for Hawaii, I think 6 months is a good target.
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE
    <div>
    </div><div>we are thinking of going to Hawaii also for our honeymoon.. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards